Archinect
anchor

Gulf: Ecological disaster in the make

PostDepot

As we speak it is happening! This will be huge and tragic. No time to act slow, but politicians are prefferring finger pointing instead of action. I don't think BP can handle this so what are we waiting for?

Gulf of Mexico oil leak could be five times worse than feared.

Apr 29, 10 10:45 pm
Distant Unicorn

I really heard Nascar wanted to go back to beach racing in the South. But sand isn't the same as asphalt.

So, be optimistic! Just think of it as turning every beach into the South as a potential new race track! You'll be able to race from Tampa Bay to New Orleans nearly uninterrupted!

Apr 29, 10 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
PostDepot

talk to me in couple of days!

Apr 30, 10 2:06 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I wonder if this will be enough to turn my partner's family (gulf fishermen) into believers in the EPA. That's presuming that the EPA actually does something, of course...

Apr 30, 10 9:07 am  · 
 · 
oe

Drill Baby Drill!

Apr 30, 10 9:46 am  · 
 · 
model.bot

Drill Baby Drill!

Apr 30, 10 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
outed

drill baby drill? why don't we set that rig up in your backyard first???

having grown up in a house about 500 yards from the gulf, i've seen just about everything. this may top it all. just makes me absolutely sick, especially with nobody realizing that it was going to take quick and heavy response to even try to contain this thing.

just pointless.

Apr 30, 10 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
model.bot

You didn't sense the sarcasm in my internetz voice?

Apr 30, 10 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
oe

In the most ecologically disastrous way possible, this is actually kind of a good thing for the long term energy picture for the country. Theyre taking up energy reform next, and if theres one thing that can get oil hawks to sit down and shut the fuck up its 200,000 gallons of crude oil dumped all over the gulf coast.

Apr 30, 10 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

yes, we americans only learn our lessons empirically. i had the same (bleak) thought, oe.

of course some folks are already saying that this was done intentionally, by environmentalists, for exactly that reason.

as if we might only be interested in political points, not in slowing the creeping destruction of everything in order to satisfy our energy addiction.

i'm sure we caused the two mine accidents over the last couple of weeks as well....

May 1, 10 7:27 am  · 
 · 
oe

Well despite being one of the most sophisticated in the world, this rig already had a history of accidents. I think most people until this didnt realize that there are accidents and spills on these things every week, just not usually at this kind of scale. Its kind of a miracle something big like this hasnt happened earlier.

The really terrifying thing is just how long its going to take to cap this thing. I mean were all hoping this crazy concrete funnel does it, but if not this could be months of this, 15 times the amount of oil were seeing now. Its hard to conceive how long it will take to recover from that.

May 1, 10 9:15 am  · 
 · 
do2

I think fox news said it was an enviornmentalist in a home made submarince (the first of its kind to go 5000 ft below sea level) and a sledge hammer!!! But it was a big sledge hammer.

May 1, 10 9:28 am  · 
 · 
oe

^haha is there a link for this?

I mean at what point does fox news programming basically just become mental patients twiddling their lips and crying under their desks?

May 1, 10 10:01 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

If you go by the comments on Fox News, it seems non-tea party Republicans are making some impressive ideological turnarounds.

The gist of them--

1)Democrats and environmentalists aren't even that smart to sabotage an oil rig.

2)If you want to lessen your dependence on foreign oil (and oil altogether) to prevent these incidences, you need to stop using gasoline, plastics, detergents and fertilizers.

3)Can't whine about an oil spill if you have whined about $3.50 a gallon gasoline for your SUV.

4) Don't blame BP. Blame the oil rig owner and operator.

5) Someone should have mandated that remote shutoff valves should have been used.

May 1, 10 11:38 am  · 
 · 
ManBearPig

"5) Someone should have mandated that remote shutoff valves should have been used"

I read somewhere this week that indeed this rule was bypassed or given exception to the rule for these deep water rigs since the acoustic shutoff assembley was $500,000 minimum, and 30feet tall and would have to be installed way down deep. So the rule was there but rescinded.

May 1, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 
markuse

this is criminal

May 1, 10 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
ess

"and if theres one thing that can get oil hawks to sit down and shut the fuck up its 200,000 gallons of crude oil dumped all over the gulf coast...."

oe, i wish it were only that. it's an estimated 200,000 gallons _a day_ ... so sad.

May 1, 10 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Offshore drilling was a major concession in the climate bill in order to bring votes from the paleolithic (i.e. GOP) wing of our political system.

With the offshore drilling provision in jeopardy, the entire bill now seems pretty unlikely.

Once again, big business pollutes, ruins lives, and yet somehow laughs all the way to the bank.

May 1, 10 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
ManBearPig

Uh Oh hear we go again. Lets all jump on the climate change bandwagon because someone was too cheap to buy a shut off valve. The leaps of logic are astounding around here.

May 1, 10 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Yea! I mean all they did was soak 4 states of coastline in crude oil and suddenly drilling is bad or something...

May 1, 10 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Yes, we are jumping on the climate change "bandwagon," as you call it, because we don't want to be selfish, short-sighted idiots.

The most venal, exploitative figures in recent American history have all been corporate hacks and climate change denialists and big supporters of the GOP:
Don Blankenship, creepy criminal head of Massey Mining
Jeffrey Skilling, kamikaze pilot of Enron
Tom DeLay, fraudster extraordinaire
Anonymous, the author of a disgusting Wall Street email promoting the rich eating the poor
BP, who relaxed their own internal safety checks in advance of this disaster
...and many others.

What these people all have in common, Manbearpig, is a sociopathic indifference to others, a desire to pig out on gasoline and unsaturated fats and grow thick and disgusting, while ruining the planet.

These righteous folks deny climate change not because they don't believe it's real--they have no honest arguments against it, only dishonest ones. No, they deny it because it would inconvenience them, it would force them to have to think of the greater good, to think of others for one second of their lives. Also, they need the money.

A great catastrophe is in the process of happening in the Gulf. It is the direct result of a shortsighted energy policy and too many concessions to big oil. What's puzzling is the lack of an ability to use logic to connect these things.

May 1, 10 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: