Archinect
anchor

Plastic, so fantastic.

Distant Unicorn

Ignoring some obvious objections (like fire safety, foundation, electrical), do you think as an architect you could design a house made 100% out of plastic?

Apr 8, 10 12:53 am
msudon

any additive that would make plastics a realistic building material would render the space kinda un-inhabitable (serious VOC emissions).

I think it's challenging to conceive of how plastic could replace an existing building system/replace an element of a system. could plastic studs work with otherwise conventional light framing? compressive strength would be the limited characteristic.

Considering the types of polymers that we have today, building like this IS possible; but doesn't it make sense; not really. plastic lasts for--ever and can be petrol-chemical-intensive. you could build with plastic resource-wise, its not very efficient. unless your architecture is a tent.

alternately, plastics could be the stuff of digi-fab dreams: finally a material to execute all of your screen-wall-module fantasies. again resources and compressive strength are the issues. yeah you could build a single story out of thousands of individual round shapes that can't be used for any other purpose, but why would you?

good question. :>

Apr 9, 10 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

msudon, there is an approved plastic bridge system out there.

Apr 10, 10 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I'm also thinking that piles-based foundation could support the structure. Also thinking that I've seen a lot of pvc electrical conduits.

In addition, I have seen some plastic products flame resistant up to 700 degrees. Not sure you could make a UBC approve fire barrier out of that plastic and some flame retardants.

Lastly, I do remember recently running across a hexagonal structural sheeting system that claims to be able to support large loads.

I'm just throwing this out-- I figure we should accept the plastic overlord (how green is a house you can put directly into the recycle bin!). And show the public how much more plastic could be put into their lives. I'm pretty sure it would more than likely frighten some people.

You know... plastic shutters here, plastic parapets there... and then BAM parametric red plastic blobs!

Apr 10, 10 12:34 am  · 
 · 
msudon

yeah yeah, I was thinking piles too. agree its a total trip to consider a realistic plastic house.......

(from the wikipedia article) there are two categories of plastics, thermosetting plastics and thermoplastics --could a plastic house have walls that deform as needed? or a one-time bulge? imagine heating a wall/sheet of plastic to bump out an extra room (nevermind the terrible fumes etc.)

Apr 10, 10 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: