Archinect
anchor

Architectural Mythology

jwo

Hello All,

I've become very interested in the stories behind buildings. I am looking for examples of contemporary buildings which have layers of 'mythology' behind them. Whether that is based on cultural or spiritual values, political ideologies, landscape, etc. is not as important as if there is some kind of uniqueness (to place or culture) that is used as the framework for solving the architectural problem. The more poetic the framework is, the better.

I feel like lasting examples of architecture are wrapped in this mythology and the story of the building takes on a life of its own. Maybe it's something that people in the town pass down to their children, justifying the existence of beloved buildings because of special circumstances. The buildings become part of the history and reference points of the town based on these conditions. To me this is the most beautiful accomplishment that an architect could make - to contribute a piece of a story to a town.

Seeing this specific line is the description of this project really piqued my interest:

“We started the Indemann project by writing a fairy tale that established the region’s profile. In the fairy tale the people finally built a monument for a giant, the Indemann, who they have helped physically, but mainly strategically, in the story. The fact that this watchtower has now been completed shows that fairy tales can become reality.”

Taken from http://www.archdaily.com/53348/indemann-maurer-united-architects/ .

I do not know if this specific building will be a success story but I am fascinated by the architects' means of looking at this construction as a piece of cultural fabric, as a reference point whose legend may evolve over time.

Summary: What are examples of contemporary buildings which use as a framework for design existing or 'fabricated' mythology? An additional question would be examples of buildings which have developed mythologies greater than the sum of the design intentions to become a beloved piece of cultural fabric within a community?

Mar 28, 10 3:07 pm
ObiWanKenobi

Gehry = any one of his buildings = the contemporary mythology/ superstition of pluralism and diversity.

Mar 28, 10 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: