Archinect
anchor

top 10 christian church in your mind: pls help me

cmrhm

I want to share my church the top ten christian churches the building image and website. Anyone could share your recommendations?

Mar 25, 10 2:20 pm
tagalong

what?

Mar 25, 10 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

1. eliel saarinen's first christian church, columbus in

2. eero saarinen's north christian church, columbus in

Mar 25, 10 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

somewhat recent buildings:

Myyrmäki Church by Juha Leiviskä

Thorncrown Chapel by E. Fay Jones

Mar 25, 10 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Design Intelligence publishes a survey of the top 25 churches every year based on a survey of noted members of the clergy.

Mar 25, 10 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
psheldahl

There are some really nice Utzon churches as well.

Lets not forget Lewerentz

Or .. Zumthor of course..and more Zumthor.

We are in the process of finishing a Presbyterian Church in Brookline... it is very recent to say the least.

Actually..not even done yet :)

Mar 25, 10 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
interurban

I really enjoyed Steven Holl's Chapel of St. Ignatius in Seattle. The Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles is much more formal than the chapel of course but it is also a well done modern church. The site that I'm linking to might be just what you're looking for, Sacred Destinations.

Mar 26, 10 12:16 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

psheldahl :

Awesome interior. Do u have exterior rendering or pictures?

Mar 26, 10 1:28 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Guys, thanks! Pls continue.

Mar 26, 10 1:30 am  · 
 · 
psheldahl

Thanks CMRHM....we just wish they would finish...soon

I have a couple construction shots of the exterior.. One is the chapel, the other is a Community Center and the third is a courtyard between the two. Sorry for the mess..it is still a construction site.

Mar 26, 10 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

psheldahl:

great work. I see the lighting either from clerestory window( is this the way to call it?) and ceiling is meaningful.

Do u guys use stainless steel or alum. panel for exterior? It contrast well with the wood deck and siding. What is the capacity for the santuary? Do u have an idea for the cost per sqft?

the whole feeling for this small building is calm, clean and elegant.

God definitely will be pleased at it.

Mar 26, 10 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
psheldahl

Thanks for your kind words.

Panels are neither, they are a product called Swiss Pearl. There is an east coast and west coast distributor here in the States, but the product is from Switzerland. Basically a high end cementitious panel.

This project is on a very tight budget and will come in at around $275-300 / sq. ft total. The chapel you see is a 'children's chapel', with an occupancy of 120.

Mar 26, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

A bit older than most here: Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome, one of the most impressive churches for me.

Mar 26, 10 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
psheldahl

Can't believe I forgot Eladio Dieste

Mar 26, 10 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

psheldahl:

Children's chapel, nice. Thanks for letting me know the budget. I once was involved in a church renovation project around U. of Chicago. The budget and parking is also very tight.

Mar 26, 10 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

Holy Rosary Church Complex - Trahan Architects

http://www.archdaily.com/30145/holy-rosary-church-complex-trahan-architects/

Mar 26, 10 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

^ that's beautiful!

love the contemporary la tourette/cloister scheme

Mar 26, 10 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

i'm kind of amazed you're getting that built in brookline, psheldahl. nice work. congratulations!

Mar 27, 10 7:30 am  · 
 · 
psheldahl

Steven..thanks. We could always use a little support! I am sure you understand that not everyone is that thrilled about it. It has even made it onto Campbells 'Ugly' list, nominated for demolition by Boston Globe readers :) Well, at least we are in good company with the ICA, they made it on the list as well. Sigh.

Mar 27, 10 9:55 am  · 
 · 

psheldahl, that does look like a really gorgeous project. Wow.

As to the original post, Eero Saarinen's MIT Chapel was a profoundly moving experience for me. It doesn't photograph worth a damn, but the actual space, both interior and exterior, and materiality are amazing.

Mar 27, 10 11:04 am  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Donna: I agree MIT chapel is one of the best so far.

Mar 27, 10 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

chapel of light and chapel on the water by Ando are both good as well
and did no one really mention Corb's Ronchamp?

Mar 28, 10 1:06 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

val ossipoff's open-air punahou chapel is rather fetching...

Mar 28, 10 1:22 am  · 
 · 

re ando churches: only the light chapel is real church. the others (he did a few) are set designs for western style wedding ceremonies conducted by actors, not priests, usually attached to a hotel. to me they don't count as churches...

if you don't mind that sort of thing though, the chapel by klein dytham is quite fetching especially when backlit.

Mar 28, 10 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

Holy Rosary Church Complex by Trahan Architects

Mar 30, 10 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

oops I should of scrolled up - sorry randomized

Mar 30, 10 11:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: