Archinect
anchor

What keeps you sane while unemployed?

hobbesie

Like many of you out there, I'm looking for a job in these troubled times. This is my seventh month of unemployment (this time around...I got laid off once before as well) While I usually can keep a somewhat cheery disposition going, every now and then I find myself going a little, well...nuts. During those times, I find myself thinking that the schooling wasn't worth it, and that it's time to give up the dream. That usually passes, thankfully.

What's keeping you from throwing yourself off a bridge?

Feb 6, 10 12:51 pm
Piggy

meds and the hope that the life lessons in the movie "Its a Wonderful Life" are applicable.

Feb 6, 10 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Piggy

I think the main character in that movie is a frustrated Architect too, if my memory is correct.

Feb 6, 10 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
wahwoah™

he was actually a banker

Feb 6, 10 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Piggy

In his own perception he was an architect...remember the moment in the movie when he kicked over his models of skyscrapers and bridges? The insinuation was that in his spare time he aspired to live in a big City and be an Architect....

Feb 6, 10 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
gresham

Here's the clip Piggy references:

It's A Wonderful Life

Model destruction starts at 0:33.....

Feb 6, 10 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Alcohol..

Feb 6, 10 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

He's a banker, who almost commits suicide because he didn't become an architect? The irony almost keeps me going...

Feb 6, 10 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Piggy

Don't be stupid Justin. He's not the typical Banker -thats the ENTIRE point of the movie...sheesh, should have known most people in this forum are so out of touch with reality they'd jump to this type of conclusion...PLEASE don't make ignorant/ stupid comments until you have a chance to watch the entire movie...what in the h e double hockey sticks are Americans doing these days not being familiar with classics like this one...

Feb 6, 10 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
metal

he took over the family business for his dad, which was a bank, just before giong off to architecture school. The Foutainhead seems to really portray the heeoic and powerful image of an architect, who woulda guessed were now the #1 unemployed profession.

Feb 6, 10 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Piggy

The problem is society not trusting eachother in general.

An architect's power is only as great as society's ability to synergize. Synergy can't happen when people are distrustful of one another.

What I'm saying is we all know how we feel about our neighbors these days in society: Get them before they get you. I feel the leaders we get are what we deserve. If we are good we will demand good leaders. If we are bad as individuals and collectively we'll get liars and thieves as our leaders. OUr leaders are reflections of ourselves.

Unfortunately, lawyers have never been all that great at listening to what might be called the inner compass. Too much money to be made.

Feb 6, 10 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Piggy

plus lawyers make more money when their are more problems to be solved.

Is it any wonder Barry Soetoro and something like 80% of our "elected" representatives are lawyers?

Create problems with the solutions already in a prepackaged, marketable form...works every time.

Feb 6, 10 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
keopi

i'm trying to read
learning how to play guitar
gardening

it's really awful, much worse than i thought it would be to be unemployed. but in the end, if i make myself treat it like a job and then stop looking after a certain hour of the day it's made life much more enjoyable.

i'd take up a hobby if i were you.
or maybe get a part time job doing something else? you say this is the second time being laid off so i'm assuming you have a decent amount of experience?
i'm fresh out of architecture school ('08!) and i got a job at a hardware store. it's not that great but it's paying the bills. of course, i'm renting a house and no car payment.

also volunteering! teaching english. volunteering makes your spirits go way up more than anything else can, seriously.

Feb 7, 10 2:12 am  · 
 · 
IlazyMexican

Training for a marathon & working on home inmprovement projects. Hang in there!

Feb 7, 10 2:29 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

Well talking about lawyers and attorneys..I had this speeding ticket and I HAD to hire an attorney otherwise my license could have been suspended so I guess they are kind of a necessity because the government in this country is really "making it rain" from the traffic tickets the police write!!

Feb 7, 10 3:13 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

Oh...and how much did I pay him? 500$ (yes just for a traffic ticket)!!

Feb 7, 10 3:15 am  · 
 · 
m.i.a.

When I first became unemployed last year, I didn't know what to do with myself... I had given up all my hobbies during arch school, which is really sad...

So I started to do the things I had always loved to do before - like reading novels, hiking, sitting in the park on a nice day... small things, but they made a big difference.

I also did a couple competitions to keep my skills up and bulid my portfolio.

I have a temp arch job right now, but I think what helped me finally get something was to keep a positive attitude, take care of myself (eat right, get some fresh air), keep busy with non-architecture activities, spend time with family and friends so that I am a pleasant, interesting person when finally called for an interview.

Good luck!

Feb 7, 10 4:21 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

it was the bailey building and loans of the world lending to the ernie bishops of the world who got loans from the building and loan that potter's bank turned down. what does that get us a discontented lazy wrabble rather than a thrifty working class...

Feb 7, 10 7:22 am  · 
 · 
hankd

From my experience and knowledge, with regards to antipsychotics, Olanzapine tends to work the best. There is usually some weight gain, lethargy and increased apathy, but depending on your tendency to drift toward a mental breakdown, it can definitely be worth the costs. There are also Risperdal and Aripiprazole, among others, but from my experience the side effects caused by these, which include constant puking and strange delusions, are not as effective.

I recommend starting Olanzapine at 5mg and working up or down as necessary depending on the strength of your psychotic tendencies. The important thing here is that movements in doses should be gradual - do not go from 20mg to 0mg or you will most likely go through severe withdrawal syndromes.

Leading up to Olanzapine, you might also consider Lorazepam, a benzodiazepine, which works as an amnesic and is generally a anxiety-reducing drug. However, it is very addictive so should not be taken for more than a few weeks. It also has severe withdrawal syndromes and so should be taken off gradually. Hope this helps.

Feb 7, 10 8:31 am  · 
 · 
hankd

From my experience and knowledge, with regards to antipsychotics, Olanzapine tends to work the best. There is usually some weight gain, lethargy and increased apathy, but depending on your tendency to drift toward a mental breakdown, it can definitely be worth the costs. There are also Risperdal and Aripiprazole, among others, but from my experience the side effects caused by these, which include constant puking and strange delusions, are not as fun, and the drugs themselves generally aren't as effective.

I recommend starting Olanzapine at 5mg and working up or down as necessary depending on the strength of your psychotic tendencies. The important thing here is that movements in doses should be gradual - do not go from 20mg to 0mg or you will most likely go through severe withdrawal syndromes.

Leading up to Olanzapine, you might also consider Lorazepam, a benzodiazepine, which works as an amnesic and is generally an anxiety-reducing drug. However, it is very addictive so should not be taken for more than a few weeks. It also has severe withdrawal syndromes and so should be taken off gradually. Hope this helps.

Feb 7, 10 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: