Archinect
anchor

J.D. Salinger R.I.P.

collartim

Nobody on this site seems to care. Why? Because they're mostly morons. Illiterate, architecture morons.

Jan 29, 10 2:53 am
IamGray

Perhaps.

Or maybe I (we) just don't care for Salinger.

I think the people making most of the fuss about his passing, probably read Catcher when they were impressionable ninth graders and are otherwise, just as 'illiterate' as we are.

Maybe I'm being unfair, but I know far too many people who name JDS as their favorite author, yet read next to nothing on a daily basis....

Jan 29, 10 3:14 am  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

Steinbeck is where it is at! Morons because we don't read Salinger?

Jan 29, 10 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i like nine stories and that there franny & zooey 'tis good stuff (or bad?!? some of those nine stories are pretty rough but sort of resolve themselves quickly oh man that bananafish one what the hell was that all about that dude was messed up) well let's hope no body tries to push that catcher movie now that j.d. is gone unless you cast some caulkin brother as holden but they may be too old by now although they have that boyish youthful look kinda like the karate kid what was his name oh yeah! ralph macho-io he stayed young looking for a long time and then some interviewer would say 'how old are you?' and he'd say 'well i'm 40' and they're all keanu-reeves-like 'whoa!' but hey we all get older just like those they might be giants sang in their song older you know 'you're older than you've ever been and now you're even older, and now you're even older ..' 'tis true yeah maybe i'll re-read some of that stuff but why? just 'cause he died? *shrugs* sure you can always revisit stuff like that and find new stuff or see it in a new way but i digress rest in peace man carry on ..

Jan 29, 10 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Hey, he didn't even want people to know he was alive, so why should we care that he's dead?

All morons hate it when you call them a moron.

Jan 29, 10 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

emilio thinks I am a moron? I thought you were my friend?

Jan 29, 10 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

well, that quote from Catcher in the Rye was actually directed at the title post, but if the shoe fits.....

here's the best obituary so far.

Jan 29, 10 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think I ever read Catcher in the Rye but Nine Stories is one of my favorite collection of short stories by a contemporary American author

Jan 31, 10 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: