Archinect
anchor

Must See(s) in Lima, Peru?

pDESIGN

All-

I'm headed to Peru for the New Year (tough, I know). I haven't done a proper amount of architectural research and certainly don't know what buildings I should see. I'll be in two places:

Lima, Peru
Cusco, Peru

Of course I'm planning a trip to Machu Picchu. Any other suggested architecture, mod or otherwise? It'd be a pity to travel for two weeks and not drive my GF nuts by geeking out on architecture.

It's all I want for the holidays... :)

PD-

Dec 24, 09 9:32 am
BabbleBeautiful

For contemporary architecture, the only Peruvian-based firm I know of is Longhi Architects.

There are plenty of smaller ruins you can check out.

Dec 24, 09 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
metal

There are a few ansnymous buildings that look pretty interesting. early constructivst-type of stuff theyre scattered about Lima. For macchu picchu i highly recommend drinking the coca tea, its made from the leaves used to make cocaine but is nothing like cocaine. it will help you deal with the altitude. the first day i went there, i didnt rest enough and me and GF went out after a few hours and we barfed cause of the altitude. I'd rest if up most of the first day if were you.

I think Arquitectonica has a few buildings in Lima. Larco Mar is pretty nice too, its a few buildings built on the edge of a cliff. There are also some catacombs that are underneath a famous yellow colonial church. I think its called San Francisco church. There are some handcarved alters in their that took a guy like 25 years to do. tours in english are very available.

Peruvian food is the bomb, Ceviche de Pescado and Anticuchos are my favorites. Seafood is their specialty In Cusco you can get guinea pig too and drink corn beer. theyre usually a few farms for that stuff.
Pisco sour is a good liquor drink too. watch out with the water and theyre dairy products too, which can be pretty strong in content. make sure all water is boiled or bottled. have a blast

Dec 25, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: