Archinect
anchor

Southern Gothic

Save Western

I've been really itching to find some form of rustic critical regionalism type firms with a deep south twist. Like if Tom Kundig was born in Alabama or Glenn Murcutt in Mississippi. Or if William Faulkner had become an architect instead of an author.

My impulse reactions would be of course the rural studio and possibly also Scoggin Elam.

Any other suggestions?

Nov 30, 09 8:10 pm
wrecking ball

clark & menefee

Nov 30, 09 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

i've always been a huge clark & menefee fan. if i could have gotten a job there in '91, my life would have been completely different!

not deep south, but frank harmon has a great north carolina thing going on.

several years ago i would have argued for huff + gooden, but they're not necessarily regional these days. they've had a big low country impact, nonetheless.

trahan bouces around between a more universal modern and a louisiana-specific flavor: http://www.trahanarchitects.com

so do eskew dumez ripple, for that matter: http://www.studioedr.com/

Dec 6, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
outed

sambo is the most obvious perhaps. it's funny, coleman coker (his partner - now has buildingstudio) really wasn't as much into the southern narrative as he was into the intersection of southern vernacular and conceptual art from the 60's and 70's.

chris risher, in jackson, would be a good choice, but i'm not sure he's practicing as much.

marlon blackwell? maybe? i wouldn't say 'gothic' with him, though.

clark and menefee are no longer together - wg has his own firm. not sure about menefee.

Dec 6, 09 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

outed>> malcolm blackwell... is an interesting architect,,,his concepts are stong, but delivery is lacks. Hopefully he will growl

Dec 6, 09 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

funny,

i always thought it was the other way around w/ marlon blackwell...

decently-built togethor projects with bad concepts.

i would second frank harmon.

mr. 'i'm a one-trick pony' kundig was born in CA, if i remember correctly.

Dec 7, 09 3:23 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

For those not so in the know Sambo = Samuel Mockbee, founder of Rural Studio.

Dec 8, 09 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

menefee has his own spot too:
http://www.menefeeandwiner.com/
at least i think its the same guy. i dont know much about him.

lars is teaching at GT though- if that counts. you know how he loves his gothic. he definitely is NOT regionally critical though.

harmon is going to be speaking at GT in january for those intersted.

Dec 8, 09 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
outed

bucku - not the same menefee (charles, of the va. firm vs. tony, of the atlanta firm). could be related though.

lars? seriously?

Dec 8, 09 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Save Western

lars, speaking of the one trick pony.

he's been there quite a while now. I thought the seat he is in was temporarily.

Dec 9, 09 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

it is temporary but he is there yet another two years- i think.

Dec 9, 09 1:44 pm  · 
 · 

faye jones

Dec 9, 09 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

i mean fay jones

Dec 9, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
msudon

ditto Jones' Thronecrown chaple-although it doesn't really use gothic "structural techniques" buttressing and the like, its a series of trusses with timber framing. certainly captures the airyness and majesty of high gothic cathedrals.

Dec 10, 09 4:08 am  · 
 · 
Save Western

I really meant southern gothic in the literary sense, having to do with the rich history and state of decay of the south like you would find in William Faulkner or Flannery O'Conner.

But yea I totally agree that Fay Jones exemplifies a holy sense of something southern and also tectonically gothic in a way. Though I wouldn't say Arkansas and Kentucky are not necessarily deep south.

Dec 10, 09 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: