Archinect
anchor

Wax seals on job applications.

The new portfolio guide clearly implies that job applications sealed with wax are more likely to be successful than those sealed with other methods (I assume self-stick envelopes look sloppy and unprofessional).

but the article fails to discuss the specifics of the seal - which is the best wax type? traditional red sealing wax? I feel that beeswax may be easier to find, but perhaps won't leave as good an impression. I know recently a wide range of synthetic colors have become available. How does everyone feel about sparkles?

Or should I go for old-school bitumen, ancient-roman style?

and the seal itself - is it necessary to have a new seal carved to reflect the contents of the portfolio, or do you think a coat of arms or simply an initial will suffice? I would hate to have to re-design my family crest for a job application....

Finally, do you think it's alright to send an application package by carrier pigeon, or should I send it horseback, with my most trusted rider?

Nov 17, 09 6:08 am
Obstsalat

You should definitely send it along with a freshly slaughtered calf and some bushels of wheat. It's only expected.

Nov 17, 09 7:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think sealing with a capital A implies that you're already licensed ("a capital A Architect") so unless you're registered stick to the lower case a - don't want any legal issues.

The type of wax depends on the type of firm you're applying to: for example, for a sustainable design firm, beeswax for sure - tinted with onion skins or berries.

Sealing the hot wax with your own thumbprint, of course, implies that you're willing to suffer a little pain for the profession - likely to move you to the top of the pile.

Nov 17, 09 9:03 am  · 
 · 
outed

i'm with lb on this one - pain = advancement. definitely.

Nov 17, 09 9:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

my envelopes [envelopes? i still use envelopes?] are sealed with bloody index fingerprint - sign of chip board model making - and dried tears - sign of unemployed architect.

Nov 17, 09 9:21 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

not to mention the papercuts on your tongue from licking the envelopes.

Nov 17, 09 9:27 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i don't lick, don't you remember george costanza? that shit is poison.

Nov 17, 09 9:30 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

never use cheap envelopes on your job applications beta. didn't you read the article?

Nov 17, 09 9:39 am  · 
 · 
2step

Always use 2 types of paper; a simple bond for the letter, and a heftier paper for the resume.

That was a strange article; the guy said He was a project captain but he only graduated in 2007, Im confused.

Nov 17, 09 9:53 am  · 
 · 

I don't know the author, and I thought it was an excellent article, but that struck me as odd as well. The bio does seems suspiciously inflated.

but more importantly, which type of papyrus do you think will get me more responses? calfskin? sheepskin?

any quill recommendations?

Nov 17, 09 10:27 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

I'd go for a California Condor feather as your quill, Evan. John Stewart brandished one momentarily on the Daily Show a few days ago and it was magnificent.

Nov 17, 09 10:43 am  · 
 · 
mjfw

To be honest I've never found the wax sealing to work to impress the employers.

In an envelope with my portfolio, cover letter, and resume, I always like to put in a headshot, some glitter, and a personal note that reads something like "I know where you live ha ha"

Works every time...

Nov 17, 09 10:44 am  · 
 · 

i don't know.... i don't trust satirists.

Nov 17, 09 10:45 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

this is a all a joke right? or has obama now anointed archinect as all-powerful architecture czar or some crazy shit like that?

Nov 17, 09 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Hahaha, on my next job application mailing... I am definitely going to fill the envelope with confetti and glitter.

Nov 17, 09 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

wax seal?

YES!

Nov 17, 09 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven for the win.

But you could also be like Elle Woods, and print your resume on pink, scented paper. It gives it a little something extra, don't you think?

Nov 17, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

why not dip the entire portfolio in wax?

Nov 17, 09 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

you'd have to hold it over a flame or freeze it to get inside.
that's full-commitment interviewing.

Nov 17, 09 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Okay, I am going to totally apply for a job on pink scented paper, put it in a hot-pink foiled envelope, fill the envelope with glitter and confetti, put a white wax seal on it with glitter.

Where should I apply... I will document the whole thing.

And what scent should I use?

Nov 17, 09 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I can't resist: apply to Robert A.M. Stern, of course.

Nov 17, 09 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

The last time I ever interviewed for a job before I hung up my nail.
I sent a nice custom photo-post card of the "White Dove of the Desert." With a thank you note for having the opportunity to interview. I ended up getting hired in an extremely slow market and the Man kept the photo post card on display in his office. So think Large Folk... And if you don't know what the "White Dove of the Desert" is you will have to ask Liberty.

Nov 17, 09 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

Is this what I have been missing? A wax seal? Should I not be emailing my stuff? some other article said THAT's the way to go.

I will have to take out a microloan to pay for all the printing and ink and papyrus and quills and blotters and wax and not to mention the scrimshander (I want a cool seal right?)

Should we use USPS or should we overnight it Fed Ex? UPS?

I am SO confused...

Nov 18, 09 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: