Archinect
anchor

language fluency?

parkerm

Does anyone have any experience working for an overseas office (like in China) of a US firm?

What I mean is, when they say you need to be fluent in English and Mandarin, how fluent do you have to be?
Are we talking about everyday language/conversational skills, or like industry specific have to be able to read CDs and building codes in Chinese skills?

I guess I'll just fake it till I make it!

Nov 13, 09 12:00 pm
All Blacks!

parkerm,

I'm from New Zealand and have been in China since 2001. I came here and didn't know shit about the culture or the language. I joined SOM after 6 months of teaching English.

I'd be careful about trying to fake it because all the foreigners who come to China to work for architecture companies really are 'fluent' and they expect the same out of who they hire to join their team.

If you decide to come here, I found the best way to pick up the language is loose, Chinese women. Undoubtly, you will learn 'pillow talk' first but after that everything seems to fall in place.

After a year with SOM, I gained a stack of contacts and was in a position to open my own studio. I have four employees (all Chinese) and we are neck deep with commissions.

Cheers!

Nov 13, 09 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
parkerm

ha!
what about loose men?

Nov 14, 09 1:18 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

there are more than plenty available men in china.

Nov 14, 09 1:24 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

"not for all the teabags in china"

Nov 14, 09 1:24 am  · 
 · 
All Blacks!

I guess it's a matter of preference parkerm and whatever floats your boat. Personally, I like shagging women! Cheers!

Nov 14, 09 1:45 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

(parker is probably a clamscam, dudebrodio. shit atttitude is definite sign of a forod and should be met with a cool blast of frigidaire.)

Nov 14, 09 2:08 am  · 
 · 
parkerm

or...parkerm is a chick
but whatevs!

Nov 14, 09 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

... this thread is wierd

Nov 15, 09 12:59 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

also, i've heard chinese firms are "lazy." is that true? what's your work-week like?

Nov 15, 09 1:03 am  · 
 · 
All Blacks!

jk3hl,

Yeah, working with the Chinese can be a bit aggrannoying at times. You've really got to get 'em off their QQ (China's version of Msn Messenger, FaceBook, etc.).

I now have my own studio, so I can control most of that crap but I don't wanna be too big of an a**hole because of our work load.

All in all they do a decent job as far as drafting, model making and the like. They are priceless when it comes to getting commissions because they understand their own culture far more than outsiders.

As far as being 'lazy' it all has to do with location, location, location. I'm based in Shenzhen which is a dynamic city next to Hong Kong so they pretty much stay focused. If you get too far north, they can be a toad on drift wood - just for the ride!!

Cheers!

Nov 15, 09 5:31 am  · 
 · 
dia

All Blacks!

Good to hear of a kiwi doing well in China - must be a fascinating place to work and live. I have visited Foshan for business a few years ago and travelled through Shenzen on my way to Shantou.

Would like to hear more about your experiences.

D

ps: go the All Blacks

Nov 15, 09 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
job job

...this thread is weird

Deception of abilities, boasting, bizarre lingo, gender-baiting, jingoism

Do you dudebrodios work for Salon?

Nov 15, 09 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I wished!

Nov 15, 09 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
hematophobia

loose chinese women..? lazy chinese workers.

oh oh..what about those obnoxious white men who get drunk all the time have no morales pay for sex with foreign women because they think they are white supremacist.

this is some strange thread.

Nov 16, 09 1:01 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I have a Morales... he cuts my lawn on every other Thursday.

He ain't cheap or lazy. Though he insists that he gets a paid one hour siesta for every 5 hours of work.

Nov 16, 09 1:08 am  · 
 · 
hematophobia

i knew spell check wasn't being v. nice to me..!
one hour siesta and a hot love affair with a repressed alcoholic housewife

Nov 16, 09 1:29 am  · 
 · 
parkerm

all blacks, did they speak mandarin or english around the office at SOM?

Nov 16, 09 11:30 am  · 
 · 
All Blacks!

parkerm,

I'd say about 60/20/20 (60% Mandarin / 20% English / 20% Other). We had a rack of French, handful of Germans and some Brits. Brits are supposed to speak English, spawning the language and such but sure are hard to understand at times. The French basically refuse to speak English. The Germans tried to speak English.

All in all a house full of pompous, arrogant architects and designers! It was a fresh working environment and great experience!

Cheers!

Nov 16, 09 6:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: