Archinect
anchor

details on Columbia arch prof in bar fight?

msudon
New York Post

Any body at GSAPP care to comment?

Nov 10, 09 10:00 pm
otis151

this is pretty unbelievable, this guy has as prestigious position at GSAPP

Nov 11, 09 1:21 am  · 
 · 

Sad. Just sad. Professionally embarrassing.

Nov 11, 09 2:11 am  · 
 · 
aspect

sure is architectural professor? i think is other related field.

Nov 11, 09 2:40 am  · 
 · 
niro

"McIntyre and Davis, who works as a production manager in the school's theater department."

somehow it is not surprising, this just so happens to get reported.
they guy was pissed so he expressed it, and we don't know the whole story. the post is not even clear which dept. the dude is from! great reporting!

Nov 11, 09 3:19 am  · 
 · 
msudon

dunno, that's what several media sources claimed.

clearly violence is terrible and never justified through verbal provocation, but this seems like an interesting situation. pretty curious on what actually prompted the confrontation. while this behavior was definitely out of line, I like the idea of an architecture professor mixing it up with someone over ideology and identity-politics.

Nov 11, 09 3:20 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

this is hilarious!

Nov 11, 09 3:55 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

it appears that Davis is the theater department production employee, that's a poorly written sentence, for a newspaper.

Nov 11, 09 5:42 am  · 
 · 
kungapa
http://www.arch.columbia.edu/users/lcm3columbiaedu

Nancy and George Rupp Associate Professor in the Practice of Community Development

Nov 11, 09 7:59 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Columbia associate professor Lionel McIntyre assaulted Margaret Camille Davis, a production manager at the Columbia University School of the Arts, on Friday night—punching her and bruising her eye, according to police reports and local eyewitnesses.

McIntyre, a 59-year-old associate professor in the urban design program at the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation, was arrested on charges of assault and harassment on Monday, according to Lt. John Grimpel. Grimpel also confirmed that Davis reported the incident to the 26th Precinct in Harlem earlier that day.

According to the police report, McIntyre assaulted Davis at Toast, a local bar on 125th Street and Broadway, on Friday evening. “He punched the victim in the face, causing bruising and redness in the right eye,” Grimpel said. He added that the case is now headed for the district attorney’s office.

Nov 12, 09 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Big man on campus, eh?

What a puss.

Nov 12, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

And now for the rest of the story from another source.....

Lisa Foderaro left some things out of her brief Metro section story on an alleged assault by a Columbia University professor against a colleague at a campus bar, “Assault Charges For a Professor In a Bar Dispute.”

A Columbia University professor has been charged with assault and harassment after an another Columbia employee accused him of punching her in the eye at a Morningside Heights bar Friday night.

The professor, Lionel McIntyre, 59, was arrested on Monday, three days after the confrontation. According to a police report, Professor McIntyre and Camille Davis, a theater production manager in the university’s School of the Arts, were having a discussion that “escalated in a verbal dispute,” and Mr. McIntyre punched Ms. Davis in the eye.

This is as close as the Times got to the meat of the matter:

The encounter happened in Toast, a popular, noisy bar and restaurant on Broadway north of campus, where the chatter often runs to current events and politics. Professor McIntyre liked to engage fellow patrons on the subject of race, according to one regular customer, Daniel Morgan, who considers himself a close acquaintance of both Professor McIntyre and Ms. Davis.

The Times’ blandishment left out a couple of salient points. By contrast, New York magazine got to the heart of the matter without regard to liberal sensitivities:

Apparently McIntyre, who is black, and Camille Davis, a white theater production manager, got into a heated debate about "white privilege" at Toast, a Columbia-area bar. McIntyre, who often engages bar patrons in uncomfortable debates, first shoved Davis. When someone tried to break it up, McIntyre punched Davis.

Nov 12, 09 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

that's not really a bar fight. bar fights are over women...not with women. how pathetic.

Nov 12, 09 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

It's amazing. Nobody wants to touch this one with a ten foot cattle prod.

Ahhh.....Everyone run for it.

Nov 13, 09 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

puddles, you're brilliant. I'll bet women get in bar fights over you all the time!

Nov 13, 09 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

sadly, i did have that problem...hence my tendency to drink alone & act like an ornery basterd.

Nov 13, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I guess she could find any balls to kick! What a turd-jerk!

Nov 13, 09 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i always get a kick when folks like to play the 'cards'..there's a variety of cards out there also.... i think it's mainly for excuses and other sympathy....

Nov 13, 09 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

were they lovers? she commented on his skill in bed? i need some real gossip here^^

Nov 13, 09 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

or his size? what makes a man mad?

Nov 13, 09 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
msudon

ditto On the fence. I was pretty curious about this, but it appears this forum is just as un-interested in white privilege as Ms. Davis is.

Nov 13, 09 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
druf

A man beating a woman is reprehensible. But, if a Columbia Architecture Professor was in a bar fight with another man, it would be a positive step forward. Architects need to develop some alcohol induced combat skills in order to deal with the challenges facing the profession.

Contractor makes wise ass comment on job site - Architect shotguns a beer, then breaks bottle in half, brandishes it, and asks "you got something else to say punk?"

Client tries to cut your fee - Architect swigs whiskey, then puts client in choke hold until cash payment is laid on conference room table.

Nov 14, 09 11:16 am  · 
 · 
greenlander1

I thought this was a case of an architect finally standing up for himself but sadly this wasnt the case.

Nov 14, 09 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: