Archinect
anchor

what does udinal mean?

chatter of clouds

i can't find the meaning of 'udinal'. anyone knows?

Oct 12, 09 3:38 pm
__|_|_ |',__|_

I once saw a set of shop drawings where in every instance the word "slot" was spelled "slut" Perhaps you are dealing with a typo?

Oct 12, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

sorry, i'm quite tired. undinal not udinal.

Oct 12, 09 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

oh yes, why of course... pertaining to; or possessing characteristic of obscure 19th century german water nymphs... who DOESNT know that word fondue... gah... you must feel pretty embarrassed for having started a thread to find the meaning of such a common and important term

Oct 12, 09 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

shut up

Oct 12, 09 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

? he's trying to make you feel better, fondue.

I think perhaps you need to go take a nap, maybe?

Oct 12, 09 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

'udinal' means incapable of detecting sarcasm over the interwebs.

Oct 12, 09 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

It's like a urinal ... but this one you 'öd' in.

Oct 12, 09 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
druf

might signify "relating to a line or reference datum" i.e. latit"udinal" or longit"udinal"

Oct 12, 09 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

This is one of the best threads on Architect in a long time. Keep going. This is fun.

Oct 12, 09 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Bruce Prescott

Let me guess, this was uttered by a fashionably dressed critic (graduate of a fancy East Coast school) in the course of a long discourse in a project review. If so, don't worry about it, the critic just wanted to show off and probably was not using it correctly . . . like the fashion for saying "implicate" when one meant "imply" a year or two ago.

Oct 12, 09 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Spruce; I read it in a poem. The guy who wrote it died some time ago, I don't know if he was from the easy coast.

Oct 12, 09 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

A poem?

Maybe it's a nonsense word, like 'mimsy'.

Oct 13, 09 12:53 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I actually know the answer to this.

The term undine does related to the water nymph. But it is from the 16th century, not the 18th century.

Undine, I believe, related to the theory of Paraclesus... a 16th century alchemist and physician.

Undine is basically a part of Plato's stoicheion-- the basic classical belief of four major elements occupying the aether or space between.

Paraclesus expanded on the idea of the four elements by introducing the concept of "tria prima" or the three "spiritual elements" that gave every object a distant essence and form.

The idea of the water nymph was more than likely ripped off from other classic roman and greek texts as much of Paracelsus work was "borrowed" from the much earlier roman physician Celsus.

This all probably relates to the cult of naiads... the freshwater nymphs. These nymphs were known to bestow healing powers to springs and fresh running water sources. They were also jealous, petty creatures who could cause great harm.

However, I believe the real term would have been ondines which are soulless sirens who "obtain souls" by "marrying men and bearing their children."

Ondines (or undines) seem to be a mix of Naiads and Melusines as Melusines are a fixture of northern and low countries of Europe. However, Ondines have god-like abilities that are not typically attributed to melusines.

Oct 13, 09 1:27 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I do not know of a a naiad who feeds off the soul of men off the top of my head. But the concept could have been taken from several other nymphs or creatures in the classical pantheon.

Oct 13, 09 1:37 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

Your mom's an undinal.

Oct 13, 09 6:16 am  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Ummm...NSFW would have been an appropriate warning, Shock Me.

Oct 13, 09 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Undae= wave

Oct 13, 09 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

nothing is safe for work

Oct 13, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Undinal Nymphs don't wear Undaewear when they're Under De Waves

Oct 13, 09 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

"Don't tell me I'm not safe for work. During the week I'm a fondue chef."

Oct 13, 09 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Undae isn't the base word, undina is.

Oct 13, 09 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

as in... ya mama hadda my' tossea salad for un dinna'.

Oct 13, 09 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: