Archinect
anchor

South Brooklyn architects?

Murrye

Do any of you guys live (or possibly work...or not, in this economy) in south Brooklyn? I'm writing an article on the old, abandoned signs around the Gowanus (visible from the F Train, such as the Kentile sign). I'd like to get some feedback from architects and designers familiar with this area for my article, which will be published in a new South Brooklyn-centric magazine. It's an opportunity for a quote/press... come on, I know us architects are not entirely averse to that kind of thing :)

Here are some visuals:
http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SIGNS/neonbillboard/neon.html

Sep 11, 09 12:25 pm
dillup.

sorry to be the smartass, but that's not south brooklyn (just south yuppie brooklyn).

Sep 11, 09 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Murrye

It's just a general reference... south as in, not north like Williamsburg. Not that Wikipedia is the ultimate resource, but clearly this area is encompassed by that term: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Brooklyn However, I can't argue with the yuppie part.

Sep 11, 09 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
dillup.

Thanks - I stand corrected. Who could argue with the South Brooklyn Boys?

South Brooklyn, not to be confused with southern Brooklyn.

Sep 11, 09 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Murrye

Haha...actually, the first time I heard the area referred to as "South Brooklyn" I thought that sounded wrong, too...so many subtle neighborhood divisions in this city. I'm not out to 'correct' anyone, anyway... but if you have any thoughts on the signs/yuppifaction of the area I'd love to hear them, though!

Sep 11, 09 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

maybe not south brooklyn but anyway

www.bscarchitecture.com
www.para-project.org

Sep 11, 09 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

Well I had one of my design studios focus on the Gowanus Canal area. We had to design a school and try to adaptive reuse including the canal. I don't know if this helps, but contact me if it does.

Sep 11, 09 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

The view of the KenTile sign and the F/G trains is the only good thing about my apartment in South Brooklyn/Boerum Hill/Gowanus/BoCoCa.

Sep 12, 09 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Murrye

Thanks to all of you for your responses! I'm sending PMs to get in touch.

Is there anyone else out there who has some thoughts to share on these signs, the Gowanus area, or any projects you've worked on around there?

Sep 21, 09 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: