Archinect
anchor

Sears...errr...Willis Tower?

LB_Architects

This is bullshit.

In my opinion, of course.

Jul 16, 09 11:30 am
lletdownl

i really dont think this matters at all... who the hell is ever going to call it the willis tower... my guess is no one

Jul 16, 09 11:41 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

has anyone experienced those glass box thingys at Willis Tower?

Jul 16, 09 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Frac,
I've been in the boxes and it's pretty cool stuff. I personally will be calling it Willis tower and I really don't care what it's called. Afterall Sears is a corporation as well, so why can't it change to Willis which is another corporation? If this building was mine I can assure you I would change it to POOP TOWER....

Jul 16, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Plus the tower will be repainted silver pretty soon, so a name change is appropriate. Suggested by the "cool" firm AS+GG, they will add some pv panels, some wind turbines, paint it etc. and it will make everything better xexe. Its a joke!

Jul 16, 09 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
med.
Jul 16, 09 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
LB_Architects

Yeah, I don't really care either way either, and I will admit it was a smart business move because it generated media exposure, but I do think it is unfortunate (ie, bullshit) that this insurance giant can buy the naming rights to the building, if anything because the building's identity is tied to the name.

NCARB better take note and change the ARE questions in the structural section asap.

Jul 16, 09 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i think that "Willis" is a very handsome name for a tower...certainly much better than "Jeb" or "François"

Jul 16, 09 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
theglow

i reeeeeally hope they dont paint it silver...

Jul 16, 09 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

I heard a segment on NPR this morning about this topic ... the commentator indicated that there's a major "energy conservation" overhaul in store for the building ... including new mechanical equipment and total replacement of all the exterior glazing ... who knows where that might lead.

Jul 16, 09 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

get used to it. In a few years, it will be 'China Overseas Investments Tower' or something like that...

Jul 17, 09 12:26 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
China Overseas Investments Tower - United States

...perhaps?

Jul 17, 09 8:41 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

Big Willie Tower

Jul 17, 09 11:32 am  · 
 · 
ether

screw sears. they moved to the suburbs.

Jul 17, 09 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
AP

nice one puddles.

Jul 18, 09 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
rondo mogilskie
http://www.inyourfacechicago.com/blog/?p=1480
Jul 18, 09 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
clamfan

Rock Over London, Rock ON Chicago

I knew him well

Damen and North 1993

Jul 19, 09 3:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: