Archinect
anchor

Dichroic Glass

We are specifying large sheets (approximately 4'x9') of dichroic glass for a current project. I have a basis of design manufacturer (Schott). Their Narima line comes in a max size of 69"x149" but I am having trouble finding alternates. To date, the only other manufacturer I have found who can make close to the 4'x9' is World Glass, who can do 58"x76" sheets.

Has anyone spec'd large sheet dichroic glass and if so who was the manufacturer? Thanks!

Jun 19, 09 1:16 pm
dlb

does it have to be a sheet of 'dichroic glass' or could it be a sheet of laminated glass with a dichroic film interlayer?

check out Ben van Berkel's "La Defense Offices" as a reference of the later.

Jun 20, 09 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
ether

thanks dlb. from the small amount of research i've been able to do, i've found there are two ways of making dichroic glass. one is a film is applied to the glass and the second is the glass is put in a vacuum chamber. the glass surface is bombarded with molecules of the dichroic material. the second process is typically non existent in large formats because it requires a rather large vacuum chamber. the two above manufacturer references are film applied processes.

I just emailed van Berkel's office. hopefully they'll provide the manufacturer of the glass.

Jun 21, 09 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

This thread reminds me that I had a dream last night where I was walking through a desert town in Africa.... the local traditional craft there were tubes of dichroic glass.

Maybe if I have a follow-up dream tonight, I'll try to get their contact info for you ;)

Upon review, that is a pretty weird dream. Dichroic-glass-making tribespeople. Huh.

Jun 22, 09 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: