Archinect
anchor

renzo and frank on charlie rose

simples

frank gehry and renzo piano on charlie rose this evening...

May 20, 09 11:41 pm
simples

frank is really looking old and tired...almost shockingly so...and as usual, nothing too interesting to speak of...

favorite quote from renzo's interview about his "restrained" architecture: (paraphrasing) fantasy is a great thing, but in small portions...it's great when you put a little bit of it on a piece of bread and taste it...

May 20, 09 11:44 pm  · 
 · 

i believe he was saying that fantasy is like marmalade

May 21, 09 11:01 am  · 
 · 
design_mutt

Frank had nothing to say when chuck asked him about the economy and it's effect on architects and architecture.

I turned it off after that.

May 21, 09 11:03 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yeah i too loved that fantasy is like marmalade quote... really clever, totally true... you spread it on a solid piece of bread and few things could be better...

mmmmmm rye bread and raspberry jam... mmmmmmmmmmmm

May 21, 09 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

The most interesting point for me that Gehry made was when listing some must see buildings all the ones that he includes (Ronchamp, Chartes, Parthenon, Einstein Building etc) he includes because of two factors that he emphasizes. One, the way the building sits in the landscape and two, the procession, path or framing of the building's approach....

I like Renzo's proclamation that the new generation of architects will find in this century, as the theme sustainability, just as the 20th was about globalization and technology. His defintiion though is interesting. He says sustainability should be about creating a dialog with nature. Or as he put the goal should be to design buildings "that talk with nature"...

May 21, 09 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Piano and Gehry dined regularly while he was working on the project. The most interesting part of the Gehry project is the trellis because it is accomplishes what it is supposed to do with the least means. (OK. They could have put the speakers on poles but that ruled out because it blocked the views.) Piano starts talking about Chicago Architecture in a very interesting way he discusses lightness and using the minimum material to accomplish something. I think his marmelade comment was meant to contrast this with what is going on in LA and elsewhere today. Charlie, unfortunately, didn't pursue this except for asking if this interest had something to do with his family's background in construction. Sure ,it does but Piano is interested in building things. Yes, the building is over $1000 per sf but he still starts with the idea of lightness and then doesn't talk about much else. He is a big fan of circulation but approach as Gehry was discussing it? I don't know. He doesn't talk about it much.

I have been once and I'll go back. It's a beautiful building but I still think the de Menil is a more coherent statement. The Modern is really one building stacked on top of the other. The rason d'etre seems to be the clerestory ceiling but that only exists on the top floor. The north-facing windows are blocked during daylit hours. The experience only works at night. There are some really great details. The balustrade on the bridge is a stainless steel fabric that looks like it came from the GKD catalog. I need to look at the threshold details and who made their doors. These are not easy things to do in our climate

May 23, 09 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

this thread seems lack of something...........

May 25, 09 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: