is an overrated piece of crap.

it simply blows...

Apr 8, 09 6:18 pm
WonderK

I agree, but it was memorable!

Apr 8, 09 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think Wild at Heart is a much better film, although it's still weird as hell in that special David Lynch way.

I still haven't seen Eraserhead yet...

Apr 8, 09 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

his concert at Radio City was probably much better...

Apr 8, 09 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

the first half of mulholland drive is a classic thriller. i don't know how you can think otherwise. (and architecture is used to great effect!)

the flip in the middle is jarring and not in a good way. from there, the movie limps to its conclusion. nonetheless it's far from "a piece of crap" and in my opinion captures los angeles urbanism in a way few other movies have though many have tried.

Apr 8, 09 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Do all David Lynch films have a flip in the middle? I saw Lost Highway and really enjoyed it, but haven't seen any of his other films.

Apr 8, 09 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
oe

I dont think its totally over the line to say movies fit into two categories for me, movies I saw before and after Mulholland Drive.

..obviously it bothered you enough to make a whole thread for it?

Apr 8, 09 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
oe

^^ No, Blue velvet flips a couple of times, Fire Walk With Me in the beginning, Inland Empire just twists and bends until your brain is motor oil.

Apr 8, 09 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

BEST MOVIE EVER

Apr 8, 09 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

....plot is riddled with unanswered loose-ends and is infused with bothersome paradoxical overlaps for no good reason other then to perplex the audience.

Apr 8, 09 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

perplexing the audience is an interesting effect

Apr 8, 09 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

You people should DEFinitely stay away from Ulysses, Pynchon, Proust.

Apr 8, 09 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

'you people' ?

'YOU PEOPLE'!!!

Apr 8, 09 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

Ulysses, Pynchon & Proust....?

explain yourself elitist punk.

Apr 8, 09 8:16 pm  · 
 · 

was kind of joking with the tone there... but the movie, like some of those books, is not necessarily meant to make sense in any linear fashion. Some people like it some, don't. I for one do.

Apr 8, 09 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

but what about the tangents and misnomers... im sorry, it drives me mad that the movie cannot explain (nor does david lynch) itself. dont get me wrong, i like a good mind-bender but what gives..psycho-lesbos, a crusty hobo and a blue cube?!?

Apr 8, 09 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Well, let me try to help. Its blurring the lines between dreaming and not-dreaming, asking interesting questions about the relevant difference. So in the film, subconscious thoughts, fears, desires, are an active part of the plot. They manifest themselves literally. Theyre only loose ends if youre thinking linearly, if the material world is all you believe in. Its trying to help you to see a world outside of that.

You might find all that psychobabble bullshit. If so, theres a whole huge universe of [fucking amazing] movies you probably just arent gonna be into.

I cant get enough ;)

Apr 8, 09 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

at least u ppl be able to see it!

any bt link?

Apr 8, 09 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Silencio!

Apr 8, 09 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Of course you all know that Mullholland Drive was originally commissioned and shot as a pilot for a Twin Peak-esque series to run on ABC. Six weeks into filming, the hollywood dipshits chickened out and the incomplete pilot (which was intended to open provocative plot lines, not resolve them) was left without a series. Lynch scratched enough money for a few more weeks of filming from Canal Plus and reframed the film that was already in the can from the ABC fiasco with the new material into Mullholland Drive.

Given the constraints, I think the movie is fucking brilliant.

Apr 8, 09 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

any other eight year old films that need to be discussed?

Apr 8, 09 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Vado

Should we return to the sole purpose of this board, discussing which is better IIT, UIC, or PRATT? Inquiring minds want to know!

Apr 8, 09 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

...is an overrated piece of crap.

it simply blows...

is about how I feel about the Matrix.

Call me crazy, I'll take bleak, minimalist 70's sci_fi (solaris - the yarkovsky version, 2001, thx-1138) over this over-stylized dribble any day.

Apr 8, 09 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Tarkovsky i mean. stupid keyboard

Apr 8, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
oe

^ heh. burn. ;)

But yea, it seems to me not so much in spite of those constraints, but because of them, the film has this heart-ruining, media-bending feel to it, and is only that much more beautiful for it.

..and all that said, once I discovered Peter Greenaway, Lynch kind of slid off the top of my favorite director stack.

Greenaway people. Shit is wild.

Apr 8, 09 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Twin Peaks was awesome. Loved them! A shame it started to go off on too many tangents near the end.

If you are curious about Mulholland, look at some of the websites that attempt to analyze things. Pretty intricate details that you'd miss (at least consciously).

Full disclosure - one of my best studios classes, one that shaped me as a designer, focused on Blue Velvet, then Fire Walk With Me, then took the analytical process we developed into our own video of our site.

Brilliant.

Apr 8, 09 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

but the "flip" in the film is executed quite literally with the hobo blue lockbox and aspiring/crushed hollywood dreams...

Apr 9, 09 12:36 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

MD is a great flick. you cannot watch a film like that expecting things to be tied up into neat little balls for the viewer. that is besides the point and quite defeatist in the process.

i like oe's characterization, and to go further: it's about a reconciliation with the theory that suggests we might not be living in the dominant reality. we appear to be, and we certainly claim to be, but we have no empirical evidence that this is in fact the case.

there are supersensible realms the likes of which we may have only glimpsed briefly in psycho-spiritual crisis/ecstasy and even then, only scratched the surface. there is no denying that "reality" is self-transforming and filled with gaps, wrinkles and bizarre instances of synchronicity and non-locality.

i think it's a visual representation of that discord, that tension, that inescapable (and correct) feeling that there are myriad worlds of wonder waiting out there.

Apr 9, 09 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Mighty, have you ever read anything by Greg Chaitin??

good lord, it could be so much worse than that...

Apr 9, 09 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

the crying of lot 49,, read the book StudioWookie, its short enough for you to not create a thread about it in case you hate it,, as opposed to other pynchon books,,

good comparison 10,, haha,, sorry u had to be called an elitist punk,, made me day

Apr 10, 09 1:40 am  · 
 · 

Elitist cyber punk

was reading something by Zizek, an article called "Run Isolde Run," that spoke about film as the material realization of the time-shifting techniques explored by Flaubert, Proust, "flashbacks," dream sequences and etc., which is nice to think about for some reason.

Apr 10, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

You can read the article here

Apr 10, 09 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

oh no you can't read the whole thing, sorry. but "you people" get the idea.

Apr 10, 09 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Apr 10, 09 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Apr 10, 09 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: