treekiller

Hope all archinecti are safe.

any significant architecture destroyed?

Apr 6, 09 10:56 am
treekiller
Apr 6, 09 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
Akin

Hi treekiller, I live in Rome and the quake was strong here so I can't immagine the magnitude of it in the L'Aquila area.
Unfortunately a whole town was destroyed and in L'Aquila the Dome and the Town Theater were damaged.
As I learn from the news all the public buildings are inaccessible.

I also learn from the news there is a bank account where people can make donations the Iban code is IT 41D0306909400615215320387
The Bank is Intesa San Paolo.
The title is Terremotati d' Abbruzzo

I believe there are also other accounts where people can make donations, this is the one I know as I made a donation here.
This bank account number doesn't have anything to do with me.
Here is the website to check:
http://www.intesasanpaolo.com/scriptIbve/retail20/RetailIntesaSanpaolo/ita/home/ita_home.jsp

Thanks for the thought, I hope these people can find a new and safe house soon.

Apr 7, 09 7:20 am  · 
 · 
eranthis

Strangely, I was looking up something about L'Aquila (languages... for my mom, who fancies herself a historical linguist) about 5 minutes before accounts of the quake turned up in the current news feeds. Last time I do research for Mom.

I am wondering... for those of us who find themselves out of work and with nowhere to go everyday, is there any volunteer group out there who we can sign up with? OK... no job to go to and who doesn't want to go to Italy? Seriously, though, where is the architectural version of Medecin sans Frontieres? I've done some 1st aid/phlebotomy in my past, but wouldn't count myself as qualified to be a medic... and at this point, as 9/11 & Katrina showed us, that is probably not where help is needed anymore....

Apr 7, 09 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Akin

Hi eranthis, very noble of you. In fact there is an association similar which is called Architetti senza frontiere:
http://www.asfit.org/it/index.php
Although before going to the L'Aquila area I would inform myself very well otherwise instead of being of help we find ourselves blocking the rescue operations.
For example, the authorities are advising to use the motorway that connects Rome to L'Aquila just if you really need to.
If I learn more I'll let you know.

Apr 7, 09 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: