they are trying to link him to OBEY?

Feb 7, 09 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

cryzko, what do you mean by that???

Feb 8, 09 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
binary

"Two warrants were issued for Fairey on Jan. 24 after police determined he'd tagged property in two locations with graffiti based on the Andre the Giant street art campaign from his early career"

OBEY is the clothing line/graf person that had the pic of andre the giant and the letters obey under it. it was a big thing a few years back. now 'obey' is a clothing line and linked to graf.

Feb 8, 09 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm not sure if he created 'obey' or just helped push it/etc.... its hard to keep up with graf heads and their aliases

b

Feb 8, 09 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

He most definitely created Obey.

Feb 8, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
joearch8

Yeah, I'm from Charleston, he did....

Feb 8, 09 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ok..thanks for pointing that out...... i know a few graf heads here in detroit that have 2-4 aliases and writing styles so who knows.

b

Feb 8, 09 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

a living icon...this will only reinforce his revolutionary status.

Feb 8, 09 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

ah yes, what a revolutionary with his clothing line et al! He's about as countercultural as Urban Outfitters.

Feb 10, 09 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

So FLM, dont keep us in the dark here, how do you propose influencing the next generation of americans out of political complacency?

Feb 11, 09 2:19 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Back in the day - about 12 years ago, I emailed Shepard Fairey, telling him that I saw a sticker of his somewhere (I had to research to find out who/what it was). He sent me at least 100 various stickers and a t-shirt, and we started a short but friendly email conversation that lasted a few months.

So 38 year old tagger? He wasn't always 38, and I wouldn't consider what he does tagging, not by a long shot. He's recognized the world over, been published internationally, and is a nice guy, to boot, or at least he was to me.

Feb 11, 09 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

right on Dustin

Feb 11, 09 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I have met him on multiple occasions. He is a very nice guy. He is an artist at heart but needs to support his family. Decided that he could market what he has (obey). Nothing wrong with that

Feb 11, 09 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

tumbles i see your temple!

Feb 12, 09 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Worst DJ ever. And a general rube in person. Getting arrested on graf charges in this case is pretty lame tho.

Feb 12, 09 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

I'd like to know how the police "determined" he's actually done the tagging. Prints? Video evidence? Eye Witness?

The scope of the Andre the Giant campaign was far to massive for one person to accomplish and Dustins post is a an illustration as to how it was accomplished. Give media to everyone you know and tell them to distribute it.

I'm guessing the arrest is well crafted PR.

Feb 13, 09 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

you've heard of probable cause or reasonable suspicion? all it takes is a few people and you could be committed basically with out and real evidence.

much like pirate bay trial on Monday, making the means to distribute or accomplice to a crime type stuff holds up, will we see any resistance or just more pill swallowing and people getting in line for the imaginary serfdom to fractional reserve debt?

Feb 13, 09 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

property as violence

Feb 13, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I've been paying attention to this a little more lately. It seems that the gallery in Boston *wanted* Fairey to do various art pieces in their correct context: ie outdoors, in urban areas (aka grafitti). This makes perfect sense, since this was an exhibition of his work. So he did some pieces around town, and got arrested. Fairly predictable.

And then we have to take into consideration that is the Boston PD. Isn't Boston the place where some outdoor light-bright advertisements were thought to be bombs a few years ago?

Nice police work there, Lou.

Feb 13, 09 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: