Archinect
anchor

SpaceInvading.com ~ beta now online

We've given birth to a new website: SpaceInvading

It's still in the beta stage, so there's likely to be bugs, and it will soon be updated with an RSS feed, about page, tagging, etc... but I thought I would unleash it among the Archinect forum community to check it out a little early.

What it is: SpaceInvading is a site we've launched that collects architecture and design from across the blogosphere. It's basically like an image-focused RSS feed compiling all the most interesting architecture and design projects, reported by bloggers and the designers themselves... initially curated by me... and eventually by a larger team of "curators". We developed an app that collects the project data from other sites with the click of a button so it will be updating very quickly.

There's already a ton of cool stuff in there to check out... so go have fun and get inspired!

Jan 8, 09 3:14 pm
mightylittle™

Cool stuff Paul. Congrats to everyone on the new baby.

Would love to see a few more projects per page, though not so many as to cause the page to load slowly. Or maybe a consistently visible "Next Page" button.

Looks great though...Thanks for sharing the BETA.

Jan 8, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

it's a good point mightylittle. it's quite image heavy so we've decided to limit the number of projects per page to 5, but that may change. we are considering adding a pagination system that stays static on the page (doesn't move when you scroll), so you jump around easier, and also a "recently added" list at the top with just project titles/designers and maybe small thumbnail images.

thanks for the feedback!

Jan 8, 09 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's so dang beautiful, I am sure my mouth drops open while I view it.

Jan 8, 09 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

fantastic!
the laser-cut section book on page 7 is bad-ass

Jan 8, 09 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Question: is it obvious that you can click the images to enlarge them?

Jan 8, 09 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

i don't know if it's obvious, but if you're really interested you sort of naturally try anyway.

or i did.

Jan 8, 09 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Exactly what Steven said.

Jan 8, 09 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

well, anyone who doesn't realize that the photos are clickable probably doesn't deserve to see them larger anyhows.

i mean, c'mon, they glow red when you mouse over them!

like my pops used to say, son, it's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.

sure 'nuff.

Jan 8, 09 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

perhaps its obvious enough for experienced web users, but i think the fact that we have to wonder "is it obvious enough" is the answer... its probably not.

This is a fantastic idea though, i can see it being a great resource when the tagging is in effect.

one note, when i saw the images set up in a matrix on the page, i assumed there was no slide show viewing once an image was enlarged. And since the 'close' button is always viewable while the 'next' and 'previous' buttons are not, it actually took me a few min of opening and closing images (rather tediously) before i realized i could enlarge the first image, then view the rest as a slide show... i might emphasize the slide show feature more by making the next and previous buttons more apparent, or by showing only 1 sort of title image per project.

perhaps im dumb... or perhaps im average, either way just a thought, and im excited to follow the new site.

Jan 8, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

great collection. i assume the search button and other interactive sub-links are forthcoming.
great hat trick paul!

Jan 8, 09 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

very cool paul.
first thing i did was to click on an image to see what happens...

Jan 8, 09 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

thanks, paul. now that you've consolidated an hour a day, i need to find some other way to look busy.

Jan 8, 09 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

really nice. and it was obvious to me that the images could be enlarged - for the reasons stated above. i would however love it if they could pop-up a little bigger.

Jan 8, 09 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

thanks for the feedback and comments everyone! and sorry holz.box ;)

MArch n' unemployed - the image sizes are determined by the images from the source site, so we can't control the size.

Jan 8, 09 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Great website Paul. I too wish some could pop-up slightly larger, but it's all still great eye-candy none-the-less. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jan 8, 09 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

good point. excuse my brain fart, its a great site

Jan 8, 09 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

this is great

the RSS feed is going to come in handy since it's already quite a few pages long--maybe some sort of thumbnails on the first page would help for knowing where you left off when you come back to the site?

Jan 8, 09 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I love the clean look -- the amount of white space is so relaxing and restful. (That's something I've always loved about archinect, too.) I like the size of the images in "thumbnail" form -- they are easier to see than on many other, similar sites. (On other sites, you often have to enlarge the image just to see what it is, which can be a time-waster.)

I second lletdownl's comment -- I, too, took a couple tries to figure out that the images formed a slide-show. The "Next" button takes too long to pop up.

Jan 8, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

...on the other hand, I love that you get a chance to see the entirety of the image before the word "Next" is triggered. Perhaps there's a way to answer both of these needs?

Jan 8, 09 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Um, yeah, that's one swanky site. Can't wait to see it on a screen bigger than 2" x 3". Great job Paul!

Jan 8, 09 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
gold spot

Good work. Wouldn't it be possible to categorize the work.....like our own archinect image gallery. Or perhaps it wasn't the idea at the first place. Anyways, will be visiting it often..

Jan 9, 09 12:13 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Looks great on my portable apple branded mixed media device.

Jan 9, 09 1:16 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

I'm liking the eye candy. No advertising, clean. I went through it all at once.

Jan 9, 09 1:34 am  · 
 · 
sharkswithlasers

Really incredible! Can't stop paging thtough it!

Jan 9, 09 9:42 am  · 
 · 
AP

how 'bout a quick "post to delicious" link? although there is a way around it (by clicking 'permalink' and using the "post to deli" toolbar button).

i'll 2nd rehiggins' comment about knowing where you left off last time.

great idea well executed. bravo, paul.

Jan 9, 09 10:18 am  · 
 · 
n_

I think I'm in love.

Jan 9, 09 10:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think i love you too, n_______!

Jan 9, 09 10:44 am  · 
 · 

I finally clicked on discussion.
This new site is awesome.
And like Holz said you just saved me a bunch of surfing...

Jan 9, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i think my only crit is that there aren't any comments.

Jan 9, 09 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

it's so great to hear the positive feedback - thanks!
holz: we will eventually connect archinect's commenting system with spaceinvading.

Jan 9, 09 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

oh boy, now THAT sounds like a productive way to spend my time. Paul, can i bill my afternoon straight to archinect?!?

we'll call it research.

Jan 9, 09 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Paul,

As an avid archispotter, I have to say that spaceinvading blows pretty much all other websites out of the water. Fantastic and well done - cant wait to see how it develops.

D

Jan 9, 09 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

a depressing dearth of u.s. work that's as drool-worthy as the rest.

and i'm sure it's not because the curators haven't been looking for it...

Jan 12, 09 8:28 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No joke, mightylittle - with commenting abilities added it will be even more crack-like.

Jan 12, 09 8:58 am  · 
 · 
207moak

my new homepage

Jan 12, 09 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

That's a great site for a little bit of inspiration without drudging through endless uninspiring info to get the good stuff.

Jan 12, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

amazing. cannot wait for the RSS!!!!!!!

Jan 15, 09 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

hobopajamas - the RSS is ready. you can access it from the site, or directly via this link.

Jan 15, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

oh, and i second AP's "post to delicious" suggestion

Jan 15, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

THANK YOU for the RSS link paul!

Jan 15, 09 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

delicious link added.

Jan 15, 09 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: