Archinect
anchor

Kyoto architecture

quiksilver

Traveling to Kyoto soon, and am not really aware of any modern and contemporary architecture to see in the area. Couldn't find much information when I searched through the forums here. Anyone have any suggestions?

I have a list of temples and shrines already, but any other cool experiences for food, culture, etc. would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Dec 28, 08 6:38 pm
holz.box

a list of projects assembled when i tossed around the idea of going to japan 6 months ago.

garden of fine arts, ando
design store, chipperfield
museum of modern art, maki
time's building, ando
gallery kazurasei , waro kishi
Murasakino Wakuden, waro kishi
Kyoto National Museum, taniguchi
Takii Seed Quality Control Center, r-session
north cottage, r-session
house in otowa, nakamura kiyoshi architects
glass temple, Takashi Yamaguchi
white temple, Takashi Yamaguchi
COCON Karasuma, kengo kuma
kyoto innovation centre, shin takamatsu
niwaka (restaurant), shin takamatsu
grand blue sanjyo yanaginobanba, shin takamatsu
blossom tower, shin takamatsu
higashi honganji reception hall, shin takamatsu

there are a bunch of old takamatsu projects that look really interesting in kyoto.

Dec 28, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
nosduh

Why not see the most modern building of all and the one that started the ism?

Katsura Palace - Problem is getting to see it. It was tough many, many years ago.
Don't know how it is today.

Dec 28, 08 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

holz.box's list sounds good to me. also of course the train station by hiroshi hara, which is both awful and really wonderful at the same time.

to go to katsura you need to book a ticket in advance. you can see the details here.

frank lloyd wright and bruno taut thought it was amazing. for what its worth i do too. very deep and carefully made place with many lessons for any architect. you can decide for yourself if it is actually part of modernist tradition or not.

Dec 29, 08 3:54 am  · 
 · 
quiksilver

Thanks for the help guys. I'm considering stopping by Osaka for a day as well now. Anything in particular I should look for there?

Dec 30, 08 3:14 am  · 
 · 

umeda sky building is kinda kool, also by hiroshi hara.

funny, i have been to osaka a few times but don't recall any real cool architecture there...but there must be. after all it is ando's stomping ground.

Dec 30, 08 8:25 am  · 
 · 
quiksilver

I'm getting more and more excited about this trip! Definitely adding Osaka to my itinerary now.

My list for Osaka so far:

Church of Light - Ando
Suntory Museum - Ando
Chikasu Asuka Museum - Ando
Kirin Plaza - Shin Takamatsu
Umeda Sky Building - Hiroshi Hara

Any good ones I am missing? Thanks all.

Dec 31, 08 2:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: