Now that it's been reported that there's a FLW biopic planned

, who do you think should be cast?

Dec 17, 08 11:57 am
bucku

brad pitt

Dec 17, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

obviously they'll need a few (baby playing w/ froebel blocks, young playing w/ louis's tools, old playing w/ client's wives) so i'd say

keanu as young frank
Geoff Pierson as old frank

Dec 17, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

who's going to play the axe-toting,pyromaiac Butler?

Dec 17, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

ff33 - Kate Blanchette, who will receive a 'best supporting actress' for her exquisite 12 minutes worth of screen time. Why is she always the bridesmaid?

FLW - Queen Latifah. Obviously I don't need to explain.

Dec 17, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

bucku,
You beat me to it...
Seems obvious given his archi-ness

Dec 17, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

ed harris.

Dec 17, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

for some reason I can picture George C Scott as an old flw.

Dec 17, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i don't think he's available ..

Dec 17, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Yeah I guess I'm about 10 years too late on that, I just saw a Christmas Carrol last night so he was on my mind. whoops.

Dec 17, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

peridot, I adore you. Recasting the FLW story with gender roles switched is actually a movie I would go see!

The regular biopic, even with Brad Pitt as FLW, doesn't interest me all that much.

That said, what about Daniel Day Lewis?

Dec 17, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

cate did the gender switch playin bob d in i'm not there. i nominate a non actor, me!

Dec 17, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

But vado, she was a woman playing a man. I'm talking about making FLW a woman, a woman of power and passion, with a male mistress.

But leaving aside that idea, I agree: you would be excellent as FLW.

Dec 17, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Kevin Spacey, Gene Hackman, Langella (Frost/Nixon), Hopkins, Russell Crowe, Christian Bale.

They'll probably botch it though and get Costner or Hanks.

Dec 17, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

hanks!

that would suck.

the movie will likely suck anyways such as it were.

Dec 17, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
greenspace

i agree with mightylittle that the movie will suck. I couldn't get through much of the book. ken burns couldn't get it right (sorry), nor has anyone else.

that said, i vote for ed norton. he's got the smarts and the charm. but russell crowe is cool too. he's not a conventional choice and for my money has more charisma than all the rest. whoever it is has to have charm and that famous twinkle in the eye.

and coming from a welsh heritage, how about sean connery for the older flw?

Dec 17, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Huh, I'm surprised they haven't yet made this movie, actually.

Dec 17, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

sean connery might make it watchable. probably not though.

on an unrelated note, i still love cate blanchett.

Dec 17, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

so far none of the choices above remotely interest me. so, i'll step up, and nominate me, i can play a misogynist, self-aggrandizing prick. hell, i'll even do it on per diem, but i'll need back end points and my name above the title, and green almond dark chocolate m&m's, a hummer converted into a trailer - run on bio-diesel, and Ms. Jolie to call me semi-daily.

Dec 17, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

greenspace, Ed Norton is a good choice. He's not a big person but has a huge presence.

Similarly, what about Peter Dinklage?

Or, what about a living architect? Thom Mayne?

Dec 17, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I reiterate: who's going to play the axe-toting,pyromaiac Butler?

Dec 17, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

a living architect would be a terrible idea.

they would attempt to assume responsibility for all creative decisions, they would try to star in, produce and direct the feature, and then when it flops...they'd blame the contractor.

Dec 17, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ml is correct, they should use a dead architect, a fairly recent one at that - save on the make-up.

Dec 17, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
brenco

I think Jude Law will look great as FLW

Dec 17, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jude Law played an architect in some movie I saw, I don't remember much of it but there was some kind of affair involved - so he does have that experience. But he's too pretty to be FLW, in my opinion.

Russell Crowe strikes me as a belligerent ignorant ass, so maybe HE should be the axe-wielding butler? (sorry greenspace)

Dec 17, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
greenspace

i think the axe-wielding butler was from Barbados, so please plan accordingly.

liberty bell, thanks re: norton, but you have to admit crowe is a great actor. did you see "the insider"? and "master and commander"? and that roman flick? he is powerful on screen. can't you separate the art from the artist?

Dec 17, 08 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

i think billy bob thornton could let his hair grow out and don a cape and pull off just the right amount of weirdness and intensity.

Dec 17, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

don't get lb started on gladiator.

Dec 17, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually i would nominate campbell scott. son of george c. star of roger dodger and has the gravitas to play a egomaniacal ubermensch.

Dec 17, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

i thought of ed norton before reading that others here picked him...he's got the acting chops and looks enough like him

all he needs is the widow's peak...

(but yea, the movie probably will suck)

Dec 17, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i got it:

wait for it...

Harry Shearer!

Dec 17, 08 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

IF he can do Gandi he can do Wright:

Dec 17, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Like vado said, don't get me started on Gladiator. Crowe's Insider role was good, as was LA Confidential, but Gladiator, ugh.

What about Stacey Keach? he scares the crap out of me.

Emilio: Many, many, many thanks for that picture of Ed Norton. My oh my.

Dec 17, 08 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Now he would make a great FLW in Drag:

Dec 17, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

then again: Christian Slader might do the trick

Dec 17, 08 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
chimp

john malkovich

Dec 17, 08 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Mrs B's Pick: Peter Coyote

Dec 17, 08 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
chimp

will ferrell in his first dramatic role

Dec 17, 08 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

He has the Wright Attitude:

Dec 17, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
chimp

It is rumored that FLW was extremely self-conscious about what he considered to be an effeminate tone in his voice. If I was casting the film, I'd go for Michael Jackson. This could also be a great boon to MJ's waning career.

On the rumor front, FLW's relationship with Edgar Kaufmann could be played up in a post-modern, cross-media tongue-in-cheek fashion by casting Michael C. Hall as FLW and Mathew St. Patrick as EK.

Dec 17, 08 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
chimp

I should have said, "Also on the rumor front . . . "

Dec 17, 08 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

alright snook, hugh laurie......love that guy, and he does a good american accent.

Dec 17, 08 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

minnick, in the few clips i've seen of flw he had a soft, sing-songy voice, the kind little kids fall asleep to...don't know about effeminate, but a nice voice.

Dec 17, 08 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
chimp

i agree, Emilio, and i think most people (including you and me) were really enamored with his personality, voice included . . . this "effeminate" thing was a perception he had of himself (i forget where I heard it, though.)

Most folks, myself included, experience a little disbelief when they hear their own voice, "oh my god, is that really what I sound like?" I imagine that's what he went through.

My real choice for the role is John Malkovich, who might be able to take his brilliantly nuanced and gentle voice and really get inside FLW's head with it.

Dec 17, 08 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
spark

My suggestion for Frank...

Matthew Broderick

he is short in stature
he is a versatile actor and could pull off the voice
already has a lot of Chicago experience having been Ferris Buehler.

Obviously, the axe wielding butler (and requiring release from prison)...

OJ Simpson

(his motivation - just tell him that Frank is screwing his ex-wife or that Frank has some of his stuff!)

I am working on Mamah Cheney...maybe Kate Winslett

Dec 17, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: