Archinect
anchor

For the unemployed...now what?

meowmeow

There seems to be much talk of layoffs on archinect lately, and for those who are unemployed, what have you been up to? I am curious both as to what people do to keep themselves occupied on a daily basis and what peoples long term plans are.

Last week I was one of the chosen ones for round 3 layoffs in my office and I'm finding it hard adjusting from a very busy schedule to a very open one. And after hearing from friends the lack of success in finding new jobs, I'm not really sure what to do. Is it too late to apply to grad school?

Dec 11, 08 11:25 pm
unemployed

Well keep you chin up. I was recently laid off too. Sitting around at home will drive you insane. Try to get out and do something to keep yourself active. I recently went out to get something repaired and after a chat with the store owner was and explaing my current situation was told to go next door and ask for employment at firm. Never heard about the place before and sure enough I was hired. Although part time - it beats unemployment checks and gets me out the house. Dont give up, just put yourself out there and you never know what might pop up. There is no shame in telling a stranger about your current situation. Good luck.

Dec 11, 08 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

I have been consumed with graduate school applications since I got laid off a month ago. Once those are done and I get through the holidays I have a feeling its going to hit me. Hopefully I can find something to ride it out and get accepted this fall. Its not much fun right now...

Dec 11, 08 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
binary

here was some things i was was doing in my 4 years of having/not having work

find a few competitions to work on
learn some new programs while doing the competitions/design
work on graphic skills
start a tshirt line
redo your resume like a billion times
change your portfolio...or actually never finish tweeking it
get out of the house and find a coffee shop to hang out at
do some random things.... like go to a place you have no clue about (local)

maybe pick up and leave the states also

Dec 12, 08 12:22 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i've been learning revit and perfecting my own BBQ rub that i will be selling in one store so far. i love architecture, but my passion is smoked meat

Dec 12, 08 12:30 am  · 
 · 
cadcroupier

i smoke...that pretty much takes all day.

call every non architect you know and ask if they want to remodel their house or condo....might get you a job or two....and you might even get paid a little...

Dec 12, 08 1:47 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Congrats, unemployed, on stumbling right into a job! You give good advice, too: there is no shame in being laid off right now, so don't be embarrassed to tell everyone you know you'd rather be working and do they know of anything?

Dec 12, 08 8:49 am  · 
 · 
aquapura
i love architecture, but my passion is smoked meat

Hey :breaktime: can I get this on a t-shirt?

Dec 12, 08 8:53 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

one for me too!

Dec 12, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

i'd be happy to smoke meat for all at the t-shirt debut party

Dec 12, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
binary

sure.... give me a few days to make something and i'll load it into my store....

b

Dec 12, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
suwatch

when i got laid off i stopped reading archinect forums because hearing about other people in the same situation hurt my optimism.

instead i made a huge list and applied to 10 firms per day until i got one.

now im working again and can go on archinect forums during my lunch break.

Dec 12, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

suwatch - good work!

Reading archinect is definately bad for your positive outlook.

Dec 12, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
suwatch

oh one other note. take the pay cut. it's worth it. working is better than not working no?

Dec 12, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Exemplary performance by suwatch!

Now, go re-post this in the "OPTIMISM!" thread...

Dec 12, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: