Archinect
anchor

Introducing ArchMart

Archinect

This is just a quick announcement to let you know that we're opening up a new section called ArchMart to help our community connect with each other. The section is called "ArchMart" and it's kind of like a mini-Craiglist, specifically for architects and designers. Our industry is in the middle of a transitional period and we'd like to help by offering our members a place share information about office space opportunities, living opportunities, and stuff for sale.

It's totally free: ArchMart

Good luck!

Dec 4, 08 2:26 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

hey, guys, how about a section where we could solicit collaborators, partners in crime and such?

Dec 4, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

kudos to the nect for doing this!

Dec 4, 08 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

betadineligatures - it's coming. believe me, it's coming.

Dec 4, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

HUGE kudos!!! This is exactly what we need, both a means to get connected to specific (albeit small-scale) opportunities and a way to be reassured that we're all in similar circumstances. Thank you!

Dec 4, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

But can we get one of those red dot thingeys next to it?

Dec 4, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thank you.

Dec 4, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

paul, outstanding! further cementing my loyalty to this community. i can't think of going anyplace else. thanks team.

Dec 4, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
alucidwake

this is awesome!

Dec 4, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

if you guys would just start hosting software and providing server space for our files, we might never have to leave. ever.

Dec 4, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

what about a section for finding a date?

Dec 4, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

Is there a way to remove a "stuff for sale" post once a sale occurred?

Dec 4, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

I'll datechya 4arch - no worries.

Dec 4, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

listings stay up for a week, unless a removal request is submitted by the member who posted the listing.

Dec 4, 08 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
LOOKING FOR STUFF
Who knows, someone out there may not realize what a first edition Zumthor is worth.

Well, they do now--thanks for nothin', Archinect!

Dec 4, 08 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Dating?

Single architect, modernist, licensed, endowed with massive student debt, seeks neo-blob designer with all-black wardrobe and zero sense of humor for good times, long walks on the beach, and sushi dinners in front of the TV watching Keith Olberman

Dec 4, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

How about selling your soul? With the down turning market I'm sure there are plenty out there, how do I know I'm getting a good deal??

Dec 4, 08 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

can archmart be moved?

i keep clicking on it trying to quick clock to the discussions page!

Dec 5, 08 2:07 am  · 
 · 

hahah, i bin doing the same thing holz.box. i just figured i gots to adapt, but is nice to know ain't only me ....;-)

Dec 5, 08 5:20 am  · 
 · 

Yeah!!!

Dec 5, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

this is great, nice work!

Dec 5, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yay! Yeah I really never need to leave.

Dec 6, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
what about a section for finding a date?

oh lord. I can't even begin to think about what a terrible thing that would be! Let's um, just not and say we did, k?

Dec 7, 08 1:52 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

considering the economy, probably more people selling than buying these days. archinec risks becoming a permanent garage sale with this initiative.

Dec 7, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

hey paul, wasn't there going to be some grand overhaul of archinect? is that still in the pipeline? not trying to hurry you up or anything...

Dec 9, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i thought the discussion forums where just an excuse for people to show off and get a date... :P anyways, i know plenty of archinecters have gone in blind dates anyway...

Paul the ARCHMart is a sweet idea, well done

Dec 10, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I like the addition of the jobs posting at the bottom of the ArchMart board. Good idea.

Dec 10, 08 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

agfa8x - yes, it's still in development. recent economic changes are making us rethink some of the functionality. no scheduled launch date, but we'll keep out registered members aware of when beta testing begins.

liberty bell - we figured we'd provide one last shot at finding a job before someone tries to sell the shirt off their back ;)

Dec 10, 08 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i notice that "free to a good home, one slightly crushed soul" didn't make it onto archmart!

Dec 10, 08 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

vado - we thoroughly enjoyed that one, but to get this thing off the ground and taken seriously we've decided to only approve tangible goods in the "stuff for sale" section.

(we've denied about 5 different souls for sale so far)

Dec 10, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah but mine's vintage!

Dec 11, 08 6:56 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

hahaha

Dec 12, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I think this is a brillian idea. Props, Archinect.

I want used books up there. I haven't book shopped in a few months.

Dec 13, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
m_daus

ArchMart is a great idea! Kudos Archinect!

Dec 15, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Cranky Pantz

does it sell design skills

Dec 16, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Who need design skills, that's not the issue. Grow by picking on others, Say you endore those who maneage to thiink outside the box, and then complain that what they do is not what you expected and that it is to different. Prove your words, the very few of your own, by addressing some 70 year ago design hero. Complain that not before he or she deliver what you think is great you will add some credits. See design skills are not to answer with something better but to complain what others do is not the right thing.

Jan 1, 09 7:38 am  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

I would like to put out a proposal and a topic for discussion.

First the topic that is on my mind; does anyone feel that the profession is working against them when it comes to completing IDP and passing the ARE? I am not passing judgment on IDP ore ARE I think they are essential to our profession but so many firms and practitioners don’t do much to help you get the needed training units for IDP. This combined with low salaries for unlicensed people has lead to a culture of hop scotching from office to office to bump up salaries and get those elusive IDP credits.

So that is one problem this recession will defiantly exasperate, here is the proposal.

I am looking for licensed architect to lead a bunch of out of work interns to do something about this career blockage that has been going on. If we did work pro bono or as close to free as possible for people and institutions that really need design work but rescission or not could never afford to get the work done yet alone a quality design. Think of it as a rural studio for the urban jungle. There are plenty of small business, schools and NGOs out there that need an ADA accessible restroom or toilet.

I think the biggest concern is personal liability but the recent changes to Good Samaritan laws might help. Forming a LLC to do the job will also help.

If we just do it for the sake of designing we get our IDP done we help the community and possibly have the luxury of taking the time to design, and build what we draw, truly earning our title as master builder.

So here is how it might happen

Homeless shelter X needs an ADA bathroom
Urban studio (name of City) steps up to the challenge
Designs are drawn under the supervision of a registered Architect, by interns earning a salary of a ridiculously low amount to they qualify for IDP.

Then designers, architect and concerned citizens raise funds and gather materials to execute the job.

Lots of site observation hours to go around as well as community service.

The system of studios should serve two functions, serve the underserved members of society with quality and dignified design solutions, and help as many aspiring professionals stay in the architecture profession and reach professional registration.

Jan 4, 09 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

the idea of needing a pro bono group to decend from on high (say new york city) to throw their crums to the pesentry (small businesses) is just absurd.

That market is already being served for fees why woul you want to give them away for free.

There are suburban / rual practices out there, say in Iowa. but no young hip archtecture grad wants to go. small rual firms offer the chance for the young to work on all aspects of a project and complete their idp in time.

swallow your pride, go to a small firm and make a contribution.

Jan 24, 09 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
n400

pjn26- keep it up.

Jan 25, 09 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Normand

I think an approach for small businesses along the same lines as habitat for humanity is a good idea. Design expertise being made available to those who would otherwise never afford it through some NGO could work. Think of what a non-for-profit architectural practice would look like.

Architecture has room for change. Such a charitable venture can help build a grass roots appreciation for architects and the work they do.

Jan 25, 09 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

turn it into a school and you get...

Archeworks.org

Philosophy
Archeworks pursues an alternative education philosophy that combines disciplines and looks at design in a holistic, ethical manner.
Social, ecological and technological developments have shifted the relevance of the traditional curricula with its emphasis on design and theory. Archeworks focuses more on "hands-on" practice than the conventional "ivory tower" separation of academy and practice.
The Archeworks philosophy is radically constructed around the networking of different design disciplines, one reinforcing another, in the conviction that no one discipline can adequately address all the issues that are involved in finding a solution for the challenges in urban society today.
Located in Chicago with its varied local traditions represented by Carl Sandberg and Saul Bellow, Frank Lloyd Wright and Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe, Archeworks reflects the heritage of a "hands-on" city reinforced with a work ethic and vision.
The heart of the Archeworks program consists of research that leads to the development of innovative solutions. Archeworks students meet with focus groups made up of the people who the project is meant to benefit--the actual end-users (i.e., the homeless, HIV/AIDS patients, school children, the disabled). Student teams also meet with professionals working in the field that they are researching--doctors, teachers, manufacturers and other various professionals who volunteer their time to support the project teams. Throughout the academic year, research is a constant in the development process.

Archeworks is equipped with a wood/metal workshop that provides the Students with the tools they need to create models and, finally, the actual products ready for testing by the end-user.
Archeworks student teams are also interdependent. The open warehouse-style workspace encourages the cross-breeding of ideas among different teams.
Critiques held for student teams at mid-semester and semester end. Each critique includes community members, experts in related fields, professional designers and end-users.

Jan 26, 09 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
n400
http://architectureforhumanity.org/
Jan 26, 09 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Archietech

Good stuff!

Feb 15, 09 1:37 am  · 
 · 
Hilary2009

thanks for the comment

comparatif simulation assurance vie multisupport - simulation assurance vie ! Les sites de simulation assurance viecomparatif simulation assurance vie multisupport

Aug 26, 09 4:43 am  · 
 · 
Rockstarbabu

Hey All, it’s always nice to meet new people..Just wanted to introduce my self as new comer into the forum and for you all please feel free to ad me to your buddy list
-----------------
Rockstarbabu
------------------
SEO !! SEO JAIPUR

Sep 10, 09 2:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hmmm.

Sep 28, 09 9:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: