Archinect
anchor

Do you drink at work?

archiwhat

Just curious if anyone drinks at work and if so how often?

Do you have a beer at lunch? Do you drink before work?

I have read in some cultures drinking at work is considered normal, while in others this is inappropriate.

What I like the most about my job is that I can drink right there and of course at lunch. Last time I’ve seen my boss he was sleeping at his desk completely drunk in the middle of the workday, haha. (I have a very stressful job).

Nov 25, 08 1:31 pm
Antisthenes

more like smoke so you can grow brain cells be more creative and focus

Nov 25, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
atet89

we have a keg in our kitchen and play beer pong at lunch

Nov 25, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

note to self: do NOT post on the drinking at work thread.

Nov 25, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
e

The Mad Men do

Nov 25, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

We have bottled water .....does that count?

Nov 25, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i tend to drink while driving to work

Nov 25, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I drink coffee while at work (which is in my home).

Lately, the Kahlua bottle under the coffee maker cabinet has been whispering to me whenever I refill my coffee cup. I haven't heeded it...yet. I stop myself because I worry that drinking alone is wrong. But if I had employees, I'd be encouraging them to join me in a nip.

At my old job, a beer on the desktop at 4:30 Friday was pretty typical.

Nov 25, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I drank too much Maibock at work this morning, but a friend stopped by so it wasn't alone...

Nov 25, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

on fridays, yeah

Nov 25, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

drinking alone isn't wrong...it's awesome*

*except for drinking at breakfast...which is kind of wrong...but i do it anyway

Nov 25, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

If I drink at breakfast and I know you are also drinking at breakfast, puddles, then I guess neither one of us is drinking alone, right?

Cheers!

Nov 25, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
e

Someone's always drinking somewhere.

Nov 25, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

not here... such an office culture is rather stifled by our waspy+soBaptist leader... happy hours afterward for the interns though are not uncommon

prost!

Nov 25, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

beers every friday and any deadline day/night

Nov 25, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

somehow the morning just wouldn't be complete without a shot of patrón xo café tequila

skål for liberty bell!

Nov 25, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

maybe i should start drinking........ i'll put that on the next resume for an office gig

Nov 25, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
e

Bush does. Seen here drinking a pisco sour at the APEC summit. Sans alcohol? I don't know, but I'd certainly start drinking again if I were him. I love me a good pisco sour.

Nov 25, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
induct

Here in Aus drinks on Friday afternoon with the firm buying is pretty normal. Plus beers during pub lunch

Nov 25, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

yes, nice cold water from the cooler throughout the day...gotta stay hydrated.

Nov 25, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
e

hydration is the key when drinking alcohol. i try to maintain a 1:1 ratio. not always successful, but i feel much better in the morning when I do.

Nov 25, 08 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I could if I wanted, but rarely do.

Nov 25, 08 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
cmu268

i drink an Oatmeal Stout for breakfast....after all, it's the most important meal

Nov 25, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

I always wished i lived int he 50s and worked and could keep a bottle in my desk.

Alas i don't.
But i have been known to have one drink during lunch in the past, especially if it is a Fri.

Nov 26, 08 12:24 am  · 
 · 

I do love that show mad men - just watched the 2 complete seasons recently.

One of my jobs during undergrad was with a company that sat and had lunch together everyday, and the principal had a drink on fridays he brough drinks for everyone else. It was good times.

Nov 26, 08 2:31 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

almost everyday when we work late. which is everyday. the boss always walks in with his scotch at 6pm...and the dudes abide...

Nov 26, 08 3:42 am  · 
 · 
aphro_al

well we do if wer working late.. scotch at 7 pm.. with crackers and chips also..

Nov 26, 08 7:03 am  · 
 · 
J3

when I worked in DC beer or wine at lunch was normal...now in Miami, there is no such thing. it's almost frowned upon. I think it has to do with our "suburban" lifestyle where you have to drive everywhere...and employers are worried about liability of having a tipsy empoyee driving home from work...in DC one could stumble to the metro a block away and stumble home from there...
I do have a bottle of 18yr old Scotch (Old Par) at my desk for those days that need a little edge taken off (such as recent layoffs)

Nov 26, 08 8:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Given that tomorrow is Thanksgiving yet I have a client meeting at 5:30 tonight, drinking while at work is a goal of mine for today.

Nov 26, 08 8:47 am  · 
 · 
ReflexiveSpace

There is always beer in the fridge or someone gets yelled at. May have drank too many times early in the day so its now supposed to be after 4 only. Beer at lunch? no one cares. They don't really care about drinking earlier either, i think they just felt it looked bad a few times and decided to only do it later.

Nov 26, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

is it safe to assume that the people posting here that do drink while at work are employed by smaller firms of less than 20 employees?

Nov 26, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
archiwhat

well, I work for quite a big firm... 120-150 people. but our bureau as a part of the firm consists of 7 ppl. we all work in the same building though.
I'm lucky to share a room with only 2 of them and they're nice people.

Nov 26, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

yeah at all of my jobs we've drank. it's always friday afternoon or any time in the evening that we have to stay past dinner.

i think it sucks, cuz

(1) we should rarely ever have to stay past dinner. working past dinner is LAME. why is it so darn common?

(2) i don't want to socialize with my coworkers on friday afternoon. if we're done working enough that we can drink beer, i want to go home.

(3) whoever thought drinking while working in the evening and then using power tools was a good idea is totally wrong.

Nov 26, 08 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
eigenvectors

i drink and work.

Nov 26, 08 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

if it's a job requirement - and it'll get me hired - sure, i'll pick it up, but only if i can drink white russians or orange stoli and red bull!

Nov 27, 08 6:25 am  · 
 · 

At Uni and Grad School, I was permanently fuelled on bottles of wine and carried that into work in London, although it had to be discreet. Back up in Glasgow, it was a no-no... then I gave up altogether only to find a new firm where one was constantly offered drinks, albeit after a 5pm watershed. But this was all to do with sociability, whereas I was only interested in alcohol as a mind-altering drug.

Nov 27, 08 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I worked at a place where we had an outdoor screened deck, where we would go on Friday afternoons and when we would land a big job,
and sit around and drink. We actually had a Martini Flag we would run
up the flag pole just to let consultants kow we were out on the deck. Often people would stop in and visit. During the winter we would have to move the party inside because it was to cold.

Nov 28, 08 8:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: