Archinect
anchor

Color in Architecture (a little help please?)

Hello fellow archinectors...

I'm doing some research and looking for some good images of the use of color in architecture. I'm particularly interested in what I'll call "atmospheric color" rather than applied color. But I need images of both.

The image of Jean Nouvel's Guthrie Theater is a good example of what I'm talking about in terms of "atmospheric color".

What other architects and/or specific projects make use of a lot of color?

Thanks.

Oct 2, 08 2:10 pm

seattle public library

james turrell (not arch, but...)

Oct 2, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

steven holl's chapel of st. ignatius at seattle university is a good example of atmospheric color.

Oct 2, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
dirtyd0369

more james turrell in houston.. the light feels like a solid in this space.. it is amazing.

Oct 2, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

la tourette?

maybe barragan?

im not sure how atmospheric the work is, it seems "literal" to me,, i like the notion htough

Oct 2, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

steven holl - nelson atkins in kansas?

i hate to say it, but, burj al arab in dubai?

Oct 2, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, fays, i was going to mention barragan (and legoretta), but yeah, his work is more about applied colors.

then again, in barragan's work, you do get some nice spaces like this:

Oct 2, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Barragan has got to be one of the greatest architects of all time.

Oct 2, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

defffffffinately,,

i dont know about legoretta legoretta, it seems they are in barragan's shadow, and cant ever live up to his work,, i was never impressed by the work..

more for the thread nouvel agbar tower?

pink floyd dark side of the moon album cover?

for some reason, images of co-op himmelblau are springing to mind, anybody knows y?

Oct 2, 08 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
waterhouse

The work of Sauerbruch Hutton

Oct 2, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Your Colour Memory
Oct 2, 08 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

if u ever visit one of BARRAGAN's buildings you will realize is actually about atmospheric light/color effects.... his colors are bold, but are always intentioned to shine and reflect light differently thru diff moments of the day/year/sun... its hard to explain, only understandable if you had been inside

Oct 2, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Frank Israel had some great color examples.

Oct 2, 08 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

McCormick Tribune Campus Center, OMA

MUSAC, mansilla y tunon

olafur eliasson

Oct 2, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Oct 3, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

love or hate it
Karim Rashid

Oct 3, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Erwin Redl - not an arch, either.

Oct 3, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

claro que si MAD. in fact, one of the architects i would compare him to would be tadao ando.

i had the chance to visit his home and studio in tacubaya and it was amazing. really, the photographs do not do it justice.

that image above reminds me of this:

i'm not sure who the artist was but it was part of the ecstasy exhibit that was @ moca here in l.a. a few years back.

Oct 3, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

reminds me of iole alessandrini

Oct 3, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
erwin redl

did ecstasy

Oct 3, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ah, thanks holz. if anyone would know it would be you.

Oct 3, 08 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm the arch nerd, not the art nerd!

Oct 3, 08 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ahaha, well, sometimes they are one and the same!

Oct 3, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

thanks guys... the turrell stuff had slipped my mind... and i hadn't heard of redl...

Oct 3, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

Jean Phillippe Lenclos. He's a colorist, spanning work from automobiles, to architecture (he worked on the colors of the renovated La Samaritaine in Paris in the late 80's) to what he terms 'the geography of color'. I like the story of he told of holding a seminar for one of his clients who wanted to open a French version of their U.S. theme park, and held a seminar for their designers. The color palette was rose, magenta, and violet (which derived from the colors of a Southern California sunset). Mr. Lenclos stated that you'd hardly ever see a violet sunset in Paris, asserting that you can't analyze the colors of France from Los Angeles. (Hmm. Woo-hoo! Field trip!)

Oct 4, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
anecdoto

Don't forget all that is origined from the stained glass window in the Gothic cathedrals, first demonstration of "atmospheric colour" in the history ( or best: "atmosfheric light")

Oct 5, 08 7:41 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I'm an agnostic and feel nothing -except for what my senses can perceive- for religious spaces but, spatially and how the light can modify the atmosphere of a space, nothing can beat the Saint Chapelle in Paris really...

atmospheric colors work pretty well with religious spaces, old and modern

Holl's Saint Ignatius Chapel:

Corbu's Ronchamp Chapel:

Corbu's Firminy Chapel:

Gaudi's Sagrada Familia:

Oct 5, 08 10:30 am  · 
 · 

wow I didn't know that's how the inside of Sagrada looked - damn I have to get there fast and see it for myself before they tear it down

Oct 7, 08 12:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: