Archinect
anchor

Is Columbia still cutting-edge?

radioactivepuff

I am currently in M. Arch I @ Pratt but am planning to transfer to Columbia. After talking to a bunch of people though, I was told that Columbia is moving away from the use of computers and computer techniques and is now into more traditional architecture, especially after Mark Wigley took over as Dean. There is also an influx of more conservative professors into the program and a move of the more radical professors into Pratt, AA, & Sci-Arc. Is the edginess of Columbia gone (90s paperless studios)? Would it still be fruitful to transfer to Columbia or should I stay at Pratt?

Sep 20, 08 12:50 am
Workshop B

why are you leaving Pratt's program (if you dont mind me asking?)

Sep 20, 08 4:04 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

my mother's butter knife is more cutting edge.

Sep 20, 08 5:14 am  · 
 · 
odb

I think it not about conservatism per se, but about taking the radicalness (I know that's not a word) of the paperless studios in the 90s and trying to find a way to actually build that stuff. So there is interest in digital fabrication and stuff like that. If you actually want to still do the paperless thing, there are still teachers there that do that and you would have that choice.

That being said, there is a move away from the radical professors at the school and I think that's a good thing-they were there for over fifteen years and it was getting tired. There are other things to explore and it was becoming this smug, do-nothing feedback loop.

And I don't see the point in transferring from one school in NYC to another-they all have the same teachers and same crappy facilities anyway.

Sep 20, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

consider transferring to cali

Sep 20, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

was columbia ever cutting edge?

Sep 20, 08 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

why do you want to be avante garde???

Sep 20, 08 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

avant garde =/= cutting edge.

architecture cannot be cutting edge by its nature... since architect never invent any new technology nor math formular that explains the world... we just use whatever is available.

i would say columbia is progressive.

Sep 20, 08 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

Why don't you go to some crits and document what you see? Then you can tell us what is really happening. Without evidence you are asking for conjecture. I almost always hear architects talking about what happens in various schools and when I ask them if they have gone there to see a crit they almost always say no - never been there. It would serve you well to check out the competition.

Sep 21, 08 4:12 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i'm in the mood for a slice of warm cinnamony apple pie and a hot chocolate drink. and then someone to tuck me in. very rear guard stuff.

Sep 21, 08 7:05 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

i heard they've required the first two years of graduate school to present mostly with ink on mylar drawings.

Sep 21, 08 7:32 am  · 
 · 

"I hear that you and your band sold your guitars, and bought turntables"

"I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables, and bought guitars"

Sep 21, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
bncrain

"architecture cannot be cutting edge by its nature... since architect never invent any new technology nor math formular that explains the world..."

What a bizarrely narrow idea of what cutting edge means...

Sep 22, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
aspect

cutting edge is not meant to be board ^^

Sep 22, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 
TedTedTed

"I head that you and your band sold your guitars, and bought computers."

Sep 22, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Greg J. Smith

"I heard that you and your band sold your computers and bought some basswood"

Sep 22, 08 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

[url=http://objectsinspaceandtime.com/~/fish/sb/2006/12/back_by_popular_demand.php]
"I hear that you and your firm have sold your CAD workstations and bought powerbooks"[/url]

Sep 22, 08 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
link

(case in point)

Sep 22, 08 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Hey radioactivepuff...who do you have as your design professors?

My ex-gfriend is in the grad school faculty and constantly complaints about student work not being very good.

Sep 23, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

cutting edge
avant garde / vanguard
forefront
spearheading

any more military terms?

Sep 23, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Do they wear brown shirts?

;-)

Sep 23, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

Yeah, they still use razor blades and drawing boards.

Sep 23, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

Job Captain sounds militant

Sep 23, 08 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

actually we don't use architectural scales anymore=CUTTING EDGE!!!

Sep 23, 08 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
radioactivepuff

chicarchitect,

the female profs are alex barker, stephanie bayard, ludvica tramontin, anne save de beuccearil...

why who was your chick? :)

Sep 24, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

chicarchitect,

maybe your ex-girlfriend wasn't doing her job ;)

Sep 25, 08 2:06 am  · 
 · 
aspect

may be chicarchitect was a student when he met his ex-gal.

muah....

Sep 25, 08 8:29 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

im glad Columbia is moving after something else than the paperless era... as u said so 90's, which its "sons" are now teaching in other places.... what's cutting edge? is my question, and in other hand, what kind of architectural education (and further professional practice) you are looking for?, i think if u know the answer for this second question then u should easily figure out which school suits u better.....

if i was to go to a school right now.... me and the kind of stuff i like, i would go to SCI-Arc (which i didnt liked their approach when i was in the moment to chose where to continue my education) or Vienna school pf applied arts

Sep 25, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: