Archinect
anchor

Cubs v Sox

evilplatypus

Could the end of days be near off?

Sep 16, 08 11:36 pm
vado retro

not far off with a nono by big z! a near nono by lilly and fonzi going yard every game...

Sep 16, 08 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

Tricky question depending on your superstitions - I think I would root for the Sox on this one since the odds of two miracles at one time are slim (Kerry lost in 2004 but the Sox broke their curse - I'd put my energy into hoping for Obama over hoping for the Cubs...or the world may be cursed).

Sep 17, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Obama can still go yard if the Cubs take it all. C'mon, you only had to wait eight years, we had to wait 100.

Sep 17, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

yeah..which color sox are we talkin about?
the red sox have won two (one last year) and white sox one in this decade..if the red sox hadn't won since 1918..maybe...but at this point it's really only the cubs that have years of futility.

Sep 17, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

It doesn't really matter who the Cubs play, I'm just sayin' if you're hoping for a Chicago Miracle, pick BO :)

Sep 17, 08 11:21 am  · 
 · 
MMatt

Obama is a Sox fan. Almost cost him my vote. One miracle per fan... therefore, Obama get's the presidency and the North Siders get the series. Fair, right?

.mm

Sep 17, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Obama is a Sox fan because he knows a winner when he sees one.

(The Yankees and the Reds are both out of the running this season, so I'll be joining Obama in throwing my support behind the South Siders.)

If Chicago gets a subway series, it will be a sure sign of the End Times.

Sep 17, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Though i will give the edge to the Cubs as likely being the better all around team. I would give the edge to the White Sox in a possible world series.

here are my reasons.

1) the white sox are the shit

2) paul konerko is getting hot

3) carlos zambrano is loose canon and i dont trust his 'clutchines'

4) mark buehrle's no hitter was way more impressive, and was 1 walk (with subsequent pick off) away from a perfect game

5) there are 2 hall of fame players who dont have rings, and deserve them on the White Sox

6) no matter what they do, they are still the cubs

7) who would win in a fight... north side? or south side?

its not even close...

Sep 17, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
mean prank riverbank

This is the best quote I read about why you should still go BO even if he's for the Sox (White) over the Cubs:

"I think McCain rooted for Detroit in the 1908 World series."

... not to mention Derek Lee is his homey and the only White Sox member to donate gave to McCain:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=3565666
http://b2.caspio.com/dp.asp?AppKey=c0351000e2e5h8b6c3i4g8b6f7f8

Sep 17, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
postal

...one step at a time evilp, the palehose got to make the playoffs first...

...if this meeting indeed happens, i'm pretty sure there will be riots after every game...

...actually, i wouldn't put it past Bud having to do something...

...and if the Cubs get close to winning, I wouldn't put it past Daley to do something... (falling concrete? Meigs Field-type teardown?)
haha...

excuse me, i've got a couple errands to run:
_find stray black cat
_visit wrigley field

Sep 17, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Yuck, you guys better lay off the Obama supports the Sox stuff, his campaign is struggling enough right now, he doesnt need to go attaching himself to that train wreck of an organization.

Sep 17, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Yeah, but you know that if the Sox beat the Cubs in the World Series, Comiskey, or whatever they call that thing, will burn to the ground.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing afterall? ;-) (The stadium doesn't work very well in my opinion.)

But seriously, there will be a riot in this town.

Sep 17, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Am I the only one who actualy likes US cellular field? Its so nice to watch a game there. It just needs more stuff to do along 35th street - the old timers dont want "long hairs" invading though

Sep 17, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Evil im with you... i was going to make a comment about Makes statement...
something to the effect of

make, obviously youve never been to us cellular... you can criticize its look, but theres really nothing to criticize about how it 'works'

us cellular is definitely a comfortable place to watch games, tons of great amenities, food, huge concourse... it 'works' better than most parks ive been too...

Sep 17, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the cubs are getting hot again and here's why they can win it all...

zambrano, dempster and hardin are nasty
they have bench strength that plays to the al dh
they have speed power and defense...
now if they get some luck....

Sep 17, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think cbssportsline has it pretty much right...

1. Red Sox
2. Angels
3. Cubs
4. Rays
5. White Sox
6. Twins

I think you can't really go wrong with any of the 4 or 5 top teams...
The angels are sort of coasting into the playoffs..so we'll see what
they do come october...red sox are playing their best ball of the season,
cubs are the only comparable to the AL right now, rays are struggling but still dangerous..and i haven't seen too much of the white sox...but they seem dinged up and limping into the playoffs..but that's just my perception..it can't be good for konerko to be playing on his knee the way it is..and it's gotta affect his power.

Sep 17, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

and i did enjoy the only white sox game i've seen...the concourses are really nice...i like that you don't have to stop watching the game when you go to get a beer or hot dog...much different than fenway, yankee stadium etc...i can imagine that it's really good for families...there's no intimacy there..but as a park it definitely worked the day i was there...

Sep 17, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Actually I have been to whatever-the-name-is-this-week park before and after they took the upper deck seats off. It's ok but it missed being a player to rejuvenate the neighborhood. They tore down this bar across the street where Babe Ruth went to get his hot dogs and beer in between innings. They should have designed a park that was part of neighborhood and not just in a sea of parking lots. The White Sox missed an opportunity.

That's one valid criticism.

It's much better with the new colors and the upper deck seats removed. Remember, they had avery hard time filling the place for many years even when they were in 1st place.

Sep 17, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Its a beautiful facility as far as Ball Malls go. Really - the parking lot island is not as big as other cities - I mean your on a residential side street in 3 blocks. I could see putting a big chunk of parking enclosed aboved shops and storefronts along 35th - the problem is the sox would only do it if someone else paid for it but they could keep the profits

Sep 17, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

evil... the land across the street where old comisky is actually apparently either belongs to the city, or the white sox are open to leasing it.

The city sent out a request for ideas on how to develop the main lots on the north side of 35th a few months ago.

apparently the plan is to eventually get rid of that parking lot entirely... we'll see though...

Sep 17, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
blah
I could see putting a big chunk of parking enclosed aboved shops and storefronts along 35th - the problem is the sox would only do it if someone else paid for it but they could keep the profits

I remember taking the el home from Comiskey on opening day in 2002 and I sat down next to a middle aged guy. We were talking amongst ourselves about the no man's land that the park created between the projects and Bridgeport. The middle aged guy sitting next to me agreed and said that he wasn't crazy about what they had done either and wanted the Sox to use the park as a catalyst to create a place, Armour Square, that would be a destination in itself. We talked about putting the parking lots above and behind store and condos.

It was Senator Durbin.

So I am not the only one to see the missed opportunity.

Sep 17, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

They should build the world's largest Depot. Pork Chop, Polish, Hamburger, $3.50. All the starving kids in Africa could live there and eat for free.

Sep 17, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

If the idea is rejuvenate/develop the neighborhood in a Wrigleyville style manner (ie. people hang around the neighborhood before, during and after games to visit bars, get food, hang out) I would discourage the idea of centralized parking.

I've said this before; I think one of the best things about Wrigley field is that the parking situation is dispersed and random throughout the neighborhood, utilizing a variety of side streets, driveways, and random privately owned smaller parking lots/structures. This allows the bars and restaurants to be built immediately next to the stadium, encourages use of public transit, and invites people into the neighborhood as they walk to their cars.

At the Cell, like many other parks, when you exit the game, you car is most likely parked immediately outside, so you get in and head home. If instead when you exited, you immediately ran into a string of bars and restaurants, you'd be encouraged to stay awhile.

The bars currently around the Cell serve a useful purpose for the neighborhood, but are much too dispersed and "locals only" to appeal to people who may not be from the south side or Chicago, but would still like a quick drink after the game. Honestly, if I didn't know where they were located, it's illogical to imagine I'd go out randomly searching for them for 8 or 10 blocks.

I have no issues with the stadium as a facility, it functions fine if not especially memorably.

Sep 17, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ea™e

The Cell Location Sux.
Expressway on one side
Train Tracks on the other
A sea of Asphalt In-Between
(Not to mention all of the Public Housing)
It's very Similar to United Center - no cohesion.

Sep 17, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I have friends whose families live at Wallace and 35th. There really is a neighborhood right there on the other side of the tracks. A big issue is that neighborhood doesnt want the traffic and people. Their either brilliant in keeping outsiders out - or stupid for being so stubborn.

Sep 17, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
blah

"I have friends whose families live at Wallace and 35th. There really is a neighborhood right there on the other side of the tracks. A big issue is that neighborhood doesnt want the traffic and people. Their either brilliant in keeping outsiders out - or stupid for being so stubborn"

They have traditionally wanted to keep out the blacks from the east side of the Rock Island tracks. That's the unvarnished truth.

Sep 17, 08 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Yup, it is still the truth, though it also includes other racial groups.

Sep 17, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

There's a bizarre truce between the old irish/italien/czecks and the chinese from chinatown on one hand, the latinos on the other - as long as the latinos stay west of halstead and south along 35th, they both want the blacks to stay across the expressway

Sep 17, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

i really like cell field.... lots and lots of beer stands.

Sep 29, 08 3:04 am  · 
 · 
postal

to make...

mccuddy's... i never went, as I was 7 when it was torn down, but many a fan miss her dearly...

by the way... there are porposals to develop the lots on the table, there was a crain's article a little while back I believe...

Sep 29, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I just realized Make's statement - "It was Senator Durbin"

Dam

May 10, 09 4:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: