Archinect
anchor

any word on zumthor lately?

outed

anyone have any insights what projects are on the horizon for zumthor? all the ones i knew about are done (except maybe the novartis campus project, but i'm not sure if it's going to be built).

anyone on that side of the pond have anything they can share?

thanks -

Sep 14, 08 8:19 pm
MArch n' unemployed

i was in vals in june and saw zumthor there twice, along with many people from his office measuring and sketching. perhaps more rooms at the the therme...im not sure of the scope, but there is definitely something going on there in the near future

Sep 14, 08 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i did some research a while back and found the following projects, i dunno if they are going through or not...

Zink-Mine Museum Almannajuvet, NO

sommerrestaurant in ufenau

and these from his latest exhibition brochure:
Harjunkulma Apartment Building, Jyväskylä

DIA beacon expansion, US

Santa Guilia church Milan, IT

pension briol, IT

Learning Center and Landscape Parc, Zug

Annalisa Zumthor House

Pingus Winery, Valbuena de Duero, Spain

Redevelopment of De Meelfabriek,

Memorial to the Burning of Witches in the Finnmark

Zumthor Vacation Home, Vals

make it typical. then it will become special

Sep 14, 08 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

ah, leave it to holz...hey holz, do you know what's going on at the therme?

Sep 14, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

at the therme? it's an ongoing project for zumthor... (therme, then the hotel... additional facilities maybe?)

but it might have been some of his students from mendrisio on a field trip.

i guess he's doing a vacation home for himself in vals...

Sep 14, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

hmmm...this was no field trip. serious measuring going on by 30 somethings dressed nicely.

Sep 14, 08 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

i'll be in Vals on wednesday of this week, I'll see if anything's being worked on.

Sep 15, 08 10:06 am  · 
 · 
outed

my understanding is that the long term plan for the therme hotel is to convert all of the rooms to 'zumthor designed rooms (only a few were done originally). maybe that's why the office was there?

nice pics holz - do you know if the summer pavilion will be built?

Sep 15, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Laru,

That sounds about right.

As for the restaurant, I’ve read conflicting articles. One saying it’s ready to start construction, another that it’s not.

Apparently there isn’t enough capacity on the island, so there are some historical buildings that would have to be demolished. And local groups are against it. I’ll see if I can find the article tonight.

Sep 15, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

its a pity if all of the haus selva rooms get renovated, i love those "ship cabin" rooms. i have been lucky enough on a couple of occasions to have ones where the mini kitchen wasn't locked and was able to enjoy cooking in the room. hmmm about time for another visit i think.

Sep 15, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

Zumthor is doing another hotel 'tower' in Vals, to counter the horizontality of the baths. Above is a concept model.

Sep 15, 08 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

for some reason i thought this was a super-hero thread title

Sep 15, 08 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Becker,
If the goal is to counter the horizontality shouldn't the proposal be more vertical?

Sep 15, 08 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

more vertical, how about at all vertical

Sep 15, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

not new, but anyone know where I can find more drawings of kolumba? i want to see more superimposition...

Sep 16, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

pretty sure i saw it published in a recent A+U.

Sep 16, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
anti

Just got back from Vals (for the first time) a few days ago. Awesome. Zumthor is updating all of the rooms in the main hotel building. Only a few 'temporary' rooms are open in that bldg. In the Selva hotel they are a mix of the old boat style and newer Peter designed rooms.

Sep 16, 08 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

exactly what devilry is that dammson?

Sep 16, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Cowgill,
I believ that is the Kolumba church rehab/reno.....

Sep 16, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Zumthor in the news: Praemium Imperiale 2008!

http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=79971_0_24_0_M

Sep 17, 08 5:44 am  · 
 · 
cowgill

thanks nam.

Sep 17, 08 8:56 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Cowgill,
I believ that is the Kolumba church rehab/reno.....

yup

Sep 17, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
degadyt

Hi,

do you guys think that zumthor includes the backgroung landscape on the model photo, or that he takes the photo of the model and then he adds the background with photoshop?

I know that this is a strange question but I hope that makes sense.

Many thanks.

Dec 8, 09 6:32 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

wow, i don't even remember posting those photos... i'm really digging those projects!

Dec 8, 09 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

and he's building a house for Toby Macguire. For real.

Dec 8, 09 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
kyo-ko

also, at the recent lecture at lacma, he showed designs in progress for a mining museum in Norway, a sort of "luxury camping hotel" in Chile, and a "house" in Devon (UK) that looked like Stonehenge with glass that he described as being a place for people to collaborate, retreat to, or work in...

Dec 10, 09 2:55 am  · 
 · 
Cacaphonous Approval Bot

he's sleeping on my couch
lemme go get him

Dec 10, 09 7:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: