Archinect
anchor

day labor station

toasteroven

Today I went out to look at a building in East Somerville (near Boston). I was driving past Foss Park and was accosted by bunch of day-laborers looking for construction work (because I was driving a contractor's truck).

this got me thinking of the Day Labor Station from Public Architecture I saw back at this year's SFI conference.

I'm a bit mixed on this - on one hand I understand the need to positively address the existence of this informal work force, but then again I understand their threat to construction unions (and the possibility that this kind of structure would become a target).

I was wondering what others thought about this issue.

Aug 28, 08 11:49 am
holz.box

i'm interested to see frac's position...

i think the issue of a temporary pavilion is a little unsettling.

basically, day laborer's are here for the long haul. perhaps the issue to look at, would home depot, etc. be willing to give up a few parking spaces for something like that? fairly certain most municipalities wouldn't, at least not in socal...

Aug 28, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
1deviantC

i know of a few HDs in so cal that have temporary structures specifically for day laborers in their own parking lots...granted those parking lots can be ginormous

Aug 29, 08 2:07 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

ideviantC - are they targets for the police or INS?

Aug 29, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I was hearing on the radio this morning how our airport terminal expansion is being built by temporary immigrant workers.

They were flown in from RUSSIA to do the job. Apparently the labour laws don't apply if you have a temporary immigrant worker permit. What a disgrace. I'm sure there are 40 people skilled enough in this province to do the work.

SO...... I think this is an interesting question that deserves some attention. Maybe if there was a spot (some sort of structure) where day workers could meet that wasn't just the front of some abandoned building, it might raise the perception of the quality of workers available. Who knows?

Aug 29, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
1deviantC

I haven't heard anything of the day laborers being targeted by police/INS. But it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Granted L.A. seems to be little bit more liberal when it comes to these immigration regulations.

Aug 29, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

L.A. is 100% P.C. regarding illegal immigration - much like san francisco

cops go out of their way to not cooperate with ICE and not to offend

so don't worry, day laborer stations are in no way 'targets' for anything

Aug 29, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

holz - i don't think we should facilitate illegal employment

and i think obama agrees - two excerpts from his speech last night:

Passions fly on immigration, but I don’t know anyone who benefits when a mother is separated from her infant child or an employer undercuts American wages by hiring illegal workers.

It’s a promise that says the market should reward drive and innovation and generate growth, but that businesses should live up to their responsibilities to create American jobs, look out for American workers, and play by the rules of the road.

Aug 29, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

just because someone is a day-laborer doesn't mean they're an illegal immigrant.

Aug 29, 08 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I do most of my hard work at night

Aug 30, 08 1:04 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i saw this license plate surround in newport beach:

PARALEGAL BY DAY
BARELY LEGAL BY NIGHT

Aug 30, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

ML - true. However, there have been a few "round-ups" in the Boston area recently, though... and they sometimes target recent legal immigrants.

Aug 30, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I drove by a day labor place last week and I was amazed by all the white dudes hanging out looking for some work. I think they are legal white dude who are being laid off from construction jobs, factory jobs and white collar jobs looking for work. Thing is were not that far from Bean Town so most likely alot of those day laborers are also legal.

Aug 30, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: