Archinect
anchor

The Beijing Olympics Thread

boxy

Things I love about the summer games:

Feeling good about my country

Ping Pong

One person walking out alone during opening ceremonies, carrying his/her flag, and representing an entire country

Realizing that Bob Costas has looked the exact same in the last 6 olympics

Aug 5, 08 6:17 pm
complex

Collector edition coca-cola cans, the liquid embodiment of the Olympic games

Aug 5, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Olympics?

Aug 5, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

please pronounce it bay-jing (with a hard 'j' as in 'jingle')

i love the olympics! track and field, swimming oh yeah!

Aug 5, 08 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

and bicycles. Yay!

Aug 5, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Seriously is Costas made of plastic or what?

Oh US Cycling team....you made me smile today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/sports/olympics/06masks.html?hp

Aug 5, 08 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Yeah - Costas either has the Dick Clark gene ... or the number of his plastic surgeon.

Smart guy, though.

Aug 5, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
complex

Why are they making such a big deal about the masks?
They are athletes and need to protect themselves from anything that might hinder their performance. Forget that it is offensive to the host of the Olympics, the host should be ashamed their air is filthy.

Aug 5, 08 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

last time i was in beijing, i had skin rashes and couldn't breath, at that time, i wonder how the outdoor games could be held...

u know i'm from one of less poluted city of china- hong kong...

can't imagine ppl from denmark/canada.

Aug 5, 08 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
jimei

Welcome to visit our website:http://www.jordan9.com Please contact e-mail:jordan9@hotmail.com.
We provide the tunnel the product, the preferential benefit price and the warm service.
We hope to get a good long business time with all customers all over the world.
China Grand Shoes Company is a limited footwear enterprise company which combine footwear trade with footwear manufature. We have the better despend ,strongpoint and quality than the other manufacturers, we also brought the best production equipments, technologies, and professionals from abroad.
We produce over 800,000 shoes per year .
We also can offer kinds of athletic shoes, recreational shoes, stogy, mainly Nike,
adidas, timberland, gucci,prada, Luie Vuitton, puma shoes, Nike Jordan series, Airmax and Shox that let you choose and see.thenFor example:
nike air max 95, airmax 97,
airmax 2006,
shox TL,
shox R4,
Shox NZ,
Air force one(AF1),
Dunk, Kobe,James and so on.If you want to know further information , Please contact to us.I look forward to hearing from you,good luck!

Aug 6, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
kmsy

hello,

It appears the maskbreathers had some second thoughts (somewhere a marketing exec is breathing a sigh of relief that he/she thumbed down the CocaCola official Birdflu mask of the Beijing games) http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/olympics/20080807-9999-1s7oly.html

Has anyone else been fascinated and also disturbed by the machinations at the highest offices over the opening ceremony? I've always enjoyed the summer games but this one has become as highly charged as the fall election.

Aug 8, 08 4:27 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

I find the whole thing silly, I personally don't find the protests appropriate. The intention of the olympics is to step outside of political squabbles, to lay down arms and compete in fun, fair games of sport for comradery and national pride not to make hypocritical political statements.

I hate the idea of countries boycotting certain elements of the Olympics as if that is a legitimate political move. If the US, Canada or any other nation has a problem with China they should voice it through real policies. For example, If we don't want China to have sweat shops, we should discontinue purchasing the items produced in this fashion at super low prices, not by insulting them at sporting events.

It is highly hypocritical for us, as a nation, to reap the rewards of Chinas lower health and safety standards and then sit around condemming them for the same standards that have allowed us to purchase so many common items at prices much much lower than if they were produced in US factories using our own higher health and safety standards.

Aug 8, 08 8:31 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well-said, Synergy.

And on a lighter note, Oh My God I want this hat so bad!!!

Aug 8, 08 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

That is the bird nest on top, isn't it? excellent!

Aug 8, 08 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Damn syn, excellent point.

Aug 8, 08 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Via BBC News site (from Getty images)

A pic of the opening ceremony's fireworks from inside the stadium.

Aug 8, 08 9:28 am  · 
 · 

Also via Wired
A youtube clip from the opening Ceremonies fireworks display
designed by Chinese born installation artist Cai Guo-Qiang and pyrotechnics guru Phil Grucci

link

Aug 8, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
aml

well, the torch thing was very cool, but the barcelona one with the archer is still my favorite.

Aug 8, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

I like these guys:

(The green one's my favorite)

Aug 8, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen
Aug 8, 08 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I wonder who designed that torch and if H&deM were invoved

Aug 8, 08 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
complex

torch design is by Lenovo (makers of the thinkpad) if i remember correctly

Aug 8, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
weem_of_crete

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't really care about the Olympics.

Aug 8, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Naw Weem, they said that roughly a billion people would be watching the opening ceremony, which leaves around 5.5 billion not watching, so you're in the majority :) .

Aug 8, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

They're just saying "one billion" 'cause that's almost the whole population of china.

Nobody gives a shit about the Olympics except Americans and whichever nation is hosting, IMO.

Aug 8, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

No, I'm saying 1,000,000,000 people because early estimates are saying this is may have been the most watched event in television history.

Aug 8, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Opening ceremony just started here in California. It's annoying being 15 hours behind but I'll take what I can get.

There were 2008 drummers! That gave me goosebumps.

And Jesus Christ is that stadium gorgeous or what?! I'm with lb, I want that hat!!!

Aug 8, 08 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Damn it I almost posted at 20:08! If only I were one minute sooner!

The Chinese will love this kid: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26099203/

Aug 8, 08 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

The ceremony, here in Chicago, is just wrapping up. I found the opening display to be one of the most impressive, artistic and amazing achievements I have ever seen.

Aug 8, 08 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

If there's one thing I learned from watching the opening ceremonies, it's that in China, people are pixels.

Aug 8, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Did anyone else have gym classes in grade school where they got to play with a big parachute? The performers look like they are having 10x as much fun as that. The light-up costumes are ridiculous!

Aug 8, 08 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i went out last nite... down BTing, will comment soon!

Aug 9, 08 1:00 am  · 
 · 
cll123

Did anyone else think they block print portion of the event was like a human powered version of the Aegis Hyposurface?

Aug 9, 08 2:20 am  · 
 · 
Xing

the Taiiji thing is cool, sort of Kungfu stuff. the Chinese learned in college.

Aug 9, 08 2:56 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i saw a moving holocaust denkmal...

Aug 9, 08 3:03 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

I thought the block portion was fantastic, and yeah i can definitely see the similarity to the Aegis Hyposurface. I can also see the clear parallel to the Denkmal in terms of appearance, but certainly not in tone, this was light hearted and fun. There was something so incredible about the scale of it all. I've been a really big fan of Zhang Yimou for a long time now, but this really blew me away.

Aug 9, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
kmsy

hi Synergy.
I would like to disagree. Perhaps large sporting events like the Olympics or World Cup have more in common with G8 summits than you might be wiling to allow.
I agree that bashing China while benefiting from their sizable investments is dodgy, but I don't think that unicyclists wearing masks is a form of boycott or dissent. Unless the words 'Leave so-and-so Alone' were printed on their high-tech, stealth, respirators, this is a display of overzealous hypochondria and just really poor sartorial judgement.
But what Sarkozy has done, for example, is an interesting about-turn on French foreign policy, all based on veiled threats. When has a host nation ever had such influence?
One may 'hate the idea' of boycotting Olympics but it has not always been about the host nations at all, and these actions have been highly effective in disseminating local polemics very quickly to a world-wide audience.
Again, I am for pure sports and camaraderie, and against casual discrimination, but this particular event is interesting, for me, as a benchmark for far more than just games.

The use of the membrane to show waterfalls and such was really great - was that always part of the design? I understand the roof underwent some changes. The fireworks by Cai Guo Chiang were amazing.

Aug 9, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

aml - I agree the archer is still the greatest ligthing of the torch. The visual quliaty of the opening ceremonies was awesome. The drummers gave me goosebumps as well.

I am saddened about the invasion of Georgia. I am big on the (iluusion) of peace during the games. Put your differences aside and lets see some good sports.

Damn, I heart watching the IMers in swimming.

Aug 9, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

kmsy,

Thanks for the discussion. I think we actually agree on some of this. My real complaint, which wasn't clear in my original post, was against calls for President Bush or other world leaders to boycott the games.
I'm not too concerned with athletes wearing masks, though I agree it is over dramatic and hypochondriactic (is that a word?).

Tunamelt,

The issues in Georgia are really disappointing, I share your optimism and dream of peace at all times, especially during the games.

How about we take a different turn here. What are your favorite events (be specific) and why?

My favorite event is the 100m sprint for its raw purity. I'm particularly excited about the prospect of seeing the 3 fastest men of all time in a single race, battling for Olympic gold.

Another favorite is the 4x100 freestyle swim relay race, I love seeing the last swimmer jump into the pool and try to chase down the leader.

Aug 9, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

By the way, perhaps the funniest event in the Olympics (I apologize to anyone that happens to be partial to it)

Behold, the Modern Pentathalon!

Aug 9, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

That huge flexible LED screen = whoa.

Aug 9, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Any swimming event, but I think I love wathing the medley races the most, both individual and relay. YAY Michael Phelps! Just got the WR in the 400m IM.

Aug 9, 08 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I only watched about 10 minutes of men's gymnastics tonight, but I loved every second. I especially love seeing them nail the dismount: yeah!

Aug 9, 08 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

'nail the dismount' is one of the dirtiest things I've read all evening, lb.

Aug 9, 08 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I can only respond effectively if I know what else you've been reading, 765.

Aug 9, 08 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Synergy, Pentathalon is funny maybe for its randomness....but for sports that look just goofy, you can't beat Race Walking.

Aug 9, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

ha, touche! lb wins at fencing!

Aug 10, 08 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Archin00b

which part of the opening ceremonies were most impressive? I can't even decide... my jaw was slack for an hour straight. Not only were the performers unbelievably coordinated (without markings on the ground!), but the sense of pride they had in being part of it was much more inspiring than most of the faces of the jaded athletes during their country's procession (esp. those who were videotaping while walking... that rubbed me the wrong way; even as an avid amateur photographer, I think there are certain times where its more important to BE in the moment than to DOCUMENT the moment).

Aug 10, 08 1:49 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

i agree about the people video recoding, what a waste. You see the same thing happen at concerts. I've been in the front row of concerts and had a person next to me spend the entire show recording the show on the camera phone and much worse, spend huge amounts of time texting and calling their friends to tell them about the "awesome" show they are at. Absurd behavior.

I was very impressed by the people inside the blocks, the human watercolor painting, and the concentric circles of Tai Chi masters was fascinating, so much beautiful symbolism and craft in all of it.

Aug 10, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

WOMENS SAND VOLLEYBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 10, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

I think I may know what 765 has been watching...

I would have countered womens sand volleyball with men's swimming, but the mens suits have gotten much more covering lately. :(

WonderK, I definitely had that gym class. And while watching the ceremony I joked that there were actually small asian men in each box- everyone laughed at me, but then all the sudden they all popped out of there!

Aug 10, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: