Archinect
anchor

Leaving a Firm

JCT81683

I will be leaving my firm at the end of this year to move on to bigger and better things in the big city. I wish to keep a good relationship with my current employer because i may one day return to the area.

I was wondering what the option for letting them know of my intentions. I have kind of narrowed it to two options.

One, begin looking for a new job and only notify my boss once i have secured a new job, and place to live, give them a short notice, i.e. 2 weeks and leave. This would make sure i have enough work to survive the year, but would leave the company high and dry searching for a replacement employee.

The second option would be to notify them of my intentions earlier in the year and hope that they work with me and let me interview, and leave once i have a new job established. This would give them time to fill my position, but risks me not getting any more work from here to the end of the year.

Any thoughts and ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mar 4, 08 2:21 pm
AP
Quitting Gracefully

best of luck!

Mar 4, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

let em know in the august that you are heading to the big city, with skycrapers and everything, to make your mark on the world and then when you have received enough kicks in the balls you will be returning home to settle down and try not to obsess over your receding hairline...

Mar 4, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

I would at least send out resumes and get a feel for the market before declaring your intentions.

Mar 4, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

AP's right ... that "Quitting Gracefully" thread was one of the better one's here on archinect ... it'll give you all you need on this topic.

Mar 4, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you must not know about them, they can have another you by tomorrow...

Mar 4, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Arzo

Joe, is this you... don't go

Mar 4, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
sgs23

Forget about option two unless you want to be the one left high and dry. You owe them nothing, if they've been good to you, and you don't want to burn any bridges, give them a couple of extra weeks if you can work it out with your new employer. A month should be more than enough time for them to find a replacement. My guess is they will be fine with the two weeks.

Mar 4, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
"You owe them nothing,"

-- I'm always amazed by this short-sighted and self-centered attitude.

From the "Quitting Gracefully" thread:

caffienejunkie - "You don't owe your employer much, if anything; they are making money off of you and how they treat you on your way out is based on profit more often that not." ... man, you are one sad dude ... glad you don't work at our firm ... so, i'm pretty sure you're making money off of your employer ... does that mean they don't owe you anything, like respect or dignity ?"

Mar 4, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

what happens if you have been at a small firm for some time, have not recieved a raise in a few years, have told your boss that you live pay check to pay check, and are offered a job that pays better and has a 401k?

Mar 4, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
mdler

: I say you take the new job ... but, it never pays to mistreat an employer when you leave - not matter how tempted you are and even if you feel they mistreated you.

this is a VERY small profession - many of the firm principals know each other and we talk to each other, especially when we know a candidate we're considering used to work at their firm.

the short burst of joy you feel from screwing an abusive employer can follow you around for a long, long time ... it's just not worth it, much as you might be tempted.

for any firm that really cares about the caliber of employee they hire, two weeks never is sufficient time to replace someone who resigns. I don't advocate really long notice periods, but I really do appreciate it when an employee who intends to leave can be upfront with me and demonstrate some flexibility about the length of the notice period. it materially impacts how I feel about that person after they depart.

Mar 4, 08 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i believe that it is illegal for a former employer to say anything about you other than you worked for them.

Mar 4, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

It's not actually illegal, but it's a policy that many employers hold in order to reduce their liability. If they say something bad and you can prove that a) it has affected your ability to get work, and b) it's not true, then you have grounds for a suit. So many firms just don't want to deal with the possibility of that.

Mar 4, 08 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
sgs23

quizzical: Why don't you come down off of that high horse, it's not personal it's business.

Mar 5, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ringo Starr

quiz - forget that idiot - you got it nailed - business is mostly about personal relationships - burn 'em and you suffer

bah-de-bump

Mar 5, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

It is defiantly a small world. Especially if you are not in a major metro area and want to return. If you are looking for greener pastures possibly enlist your boss as a mentor.
They even might help you find your next gig.

We have had a number of interns go on to better things. The ones who left amicably I try and talk w/ them regularly. I mentor and I'd bring back in a heart beat.

The ones who didn't, can rot in he**.

Mar 5, 08 9:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: