Archinect
anchor

The Title "Interior Architect"

Underground

I'm not sure how the interior design world works, but someone used this as a title for themselves but she only has a certificate from a school for interior design. I thought the title "architect" can only be used for those that are licensed. Is it different in the interior design field?

Dec 11, 07 7:57 pm
Ms Beary

you can't use the word architect unless you are licensed as such.

Dec 11, 07 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And someone with an interior design degree cannot be licensed as an architect. So your friend needs to stop calling herself one.

Dec 11, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Can I call myself "Unlicensed Architect" on my cards.

Dec 11, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

?

Dec 11, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that would be sure to impress the ladies.

Dec 11, 07 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
shihyc

oh well,
so this is becoming a game of words?
i don't know what the actual question is trying to ask, but i think we are all smart enoguh to know we need to be licensed to be an "architect"
but ask yourself, how many of these "architects" are doing actual "architecture" or yes, interior design.
let them call themselves what ever they want to be called.
the real architects, please put more energy into doing something good out there. when was the last time you were in a good space?

Dec 11, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

define good. define real.

Dec 11, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i know a few germans w/ degrees as interior architect (innenarchitekt)

and this is one of them:
heinrich degelo (degelo architekten, formerly morger + degelo)

funny thing about the german education system, the diploma is the license.

would the AIA come after me if it said architekt on my cards?

Dec 11, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

holz i don't want to be a contrarian but you do know that's an exterior don't you?

Dec 11, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
archislave

how about software architects

Dec 11, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

peter eisenman is an interior architect, cos he wrote about his "interiority" architecture long ago.

Dec 11, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah you do. and yeah it is.

i'm just saying he went to school for interior architecture and he's done some phenomenal projects. christ, i'd be happy to do 1/20th of what he's done.

Dec 11, 07 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

Architects do not own the name "architect".

Dec 11, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
Bozeman lawmaker told to stop practicing architecture

Montana- A state lawmaker from Bozeman who's been ordered to stop practicing architecture. John Sinrud (R) said, "It's a political hit because I caused the governor some problems."

Dec 11, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

aspect, in the US, at least, architects actually do own the name architect.

We do not, however, own the word - or the act - architecture.

Dec 11, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

well, does bin laden had to pass the NY license exam inorder to call himself the architect of 911?

Dec 11, 07 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

or that fat guy... what's his bucket - oh yeah, karl rove

Dec 12, 07 12:02 am  · 
 · 

from california architects practice act ;

§ 5536 Practice Without License or Holding Self Out as Architect;
Misdemeanor
(a) It is a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than five thousand dollars ($5,000), or by imprisonment in acounty jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment, for any person who is not licensed to practice architecture under this chapter to practice architecture in this state, to use any term confusingly similar to the word architect, to use the stamp of a licensed architect, as provided in Section 5536.1, or to advertise or put out any sign, card, or other device that might indicate to the public that he or she is an architect, that he or she is qualified to engage in the practice of architecture, or that he or she is an architectural designer.

Dec 12, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 
joek

there are many degrees, in the UK and Japan titled interior architecture and design. if you graduate with one such degree you can surely call yourself an interior architect . . . ?

I graduated from interior architecture but happen to prefer simply 'designer', it cuts out a lot of the confusion and pointless questioning.

Dec 12, 07 4:55 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

interior designer seems more appropriate. "interior architect" sounds like someone is trying to puff him or herself up. (just like interns who refuse to call themselves interns on a resume are trying to puff themselves up - and fairly transparently revealing their insecurities.)

at the same time, architects' obsession with the word "architect" is so completely overblown. just because someone calls him or herself an architect doesn't mean he or she can practice architecture, i.e. stamp drawings to obtain a building permit. who cares if rove or whomever else calls himself an architect of x? it seems like an utter waste of time fighting that battle and similar to the insecure intern, reveals a lot of the insecurities of our profession.

Dec 12, 07 7:52 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

There is an Interior Architecture degree at Auburn. It is a major within the School of Architecture.

Dec 12, 07 8:55 am  · 
 · 
archtopus

I suspect this is partly a symptom of interior designers who want/need to distinguish themselves from interior decorators who are calling themselves designers.

Dec 12, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
distant
"does bin laden have to pass the NY license exam in order to call himself the architect of 911?'

-- let's track the bastard down and make him pay a fine for poaching our title!

Dec 12, 07 9:21 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think the difference is that the interior architect knows more about health and safety issues. for example, where the code books are kept in the office.

Dec 12, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
aspect

carlo scarpa didn't have a license, no one bitch about him calling himself architect.

Dec 12, 07 10:24 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

Interior Architect...

as opposed to Exterior Architect?

Dec 12, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

or say, Exterior Designer?

I think I might put Exterior Designer on my next business card.

Dec 12, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

aspect, are you an architect in the US?

Dec 12, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
BOTS
Software Architect?

As told in Wiki

"In computer engineering, computer architecture is the conceptual design and fundamental operational structure of a computer system. It is a blueprint and functional description of requirements (especially speeds and interconnections) and design implementations for the various parts of a computer — focusing largely on the way by which the central processing unit (CPU) performs internally and accesses addresses in memory."

Dec 12, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Actually technically an interior designer cannot call themselves an interior designer until he/she passes the NCIDQ. Also a lot of the questions on this test have to do with licensing, ethics and liability issues, as well as code issues (lots of ADA), as well as the make up of materials, especially in commercial design. I think the actual difference between an "interior designer" and an "interior architect" would be that architects seem to have more knowledge of how to put together the structure of a building. Before I started working, I couldn't have detailed myself out of a paper bag and I admit I still am pretty ignorant but I'm learning. It wasn't even taught at the school I want to.

Interior designers concentrate more on the flow and functionality of a space as well as (obviously) picking out all the pretty finishes. In truth, picking all the pretty stuff only makes up 10% of our responsibilities. There also seems to be a divide among interior designers... one's that only want to play with the pretty finishes and one's that want to do the space planning. I funnel myself into the latter category.

Dec 12, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
interior designer seems more appropriate. "interior architect" sounds like someone is trying to puff him or herself up.

That's basically what it is. Interior designers (and interior design programs by extension) refer to what they do as "Interior Architecture" in order to distance themselves from the Interior Decorators with whom they often get confused.

Dec 12, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Rationalist - in some cases you are correct, but not always. I cringe every single time someone refers to me as an "interior decorator". This is actually one of the main reasons why I don't have all that much enthusiasm for picking out the pretty stuff.

Dec 12, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Here you go... the differences between the two. Just what I thought.

inerior architecture

interior design

They aren't the same.

Dec 12, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Oh and one more term for you...

interior decorator/ing

Dec 12, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Ya, Wikipedia.... That should explain it all! Let's just close the subject.

Dec 12, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

I think this is an issue that the "interior design/decorators" of the world should not make our problem (as architects/in training whatevs). The interiors side of our industry has less regulation (it seems) than we do, therefore making it pretty simple for anyone to use or abuse professional titles. Just yesterday I had a meeting with a woman who operates a furniture store here in town and indroduces herself as "interior designer". While she's quite capable at her job, I am sure that chaps the hide of one who completed formal education for that title.

I believe the general public is more aware now that "interior decorator" requires as much qualification as "envelope licker". I feel for those that are qualified, educated interior professionals and feel they need to attach the word "architect" to their title to distinguish themselves. Not ok.

Dec 12, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
med.

If anyone introduced themselves to me as an "interior architect" I'd probably feel compelled to question the validity of such a title just as I would with a person calling themselves a "software architect."

It's not a BAD thing to be called an "interior designer."

Software architect = Programmer.
Interior architect = Interior Designer.
Karl Rove or "The Architect" = a scoundrel on Bush's absurd administration who is a politician and not an architect.

We keep OUR profession and you keep YOUR profession.

Dec 12, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

It amazes me how this discussion (which have again and again, every few months) always manages to bring out the rudeness in people.

Dec 12, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Sorry DubK. Been one of those days....

Dec 12, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Underground

From now on I would like for everyone to call me "Professor Prince Knight Dr. Architect Underground"

Dec 12, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

its amazing that most people on archinect are incredibly sensitive about these titles they haven't even earned yet.

Dec 12, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

it's amazing how lebossman likes to present himself as more detached and unaffected then his peers when the argument suits him.

Dec 12, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

true

Dec 12, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

oh come on i contradict myself all the time

Dec 12, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I was going to saw, LB. Someone seamed to be in self righteous mode today.

Dec 12, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

I know you just like to stir the pot bossyman

Dec 12, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'm sorry archmed, because i wasn't taking a stab at you.

and as for this "small potatoes" person, i don't know what you mean by stirring the pot, as i never do that. but i could, by posting incriminating pictures of you

Dec 12, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
med.

It's all good but in any case, call me a little paranoid but I just don't like it when people can just have their way with a title that we have to go through so much education and training to attain the LEGAL way.

Dec 12, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

how do you guys argue over this with 50+ posts? Not to mention this has come up a bazillion times before. It's black and white, surprisingly, because so few other things are.

Dec 12, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

it is like calling soccer., football in america.
would you want to do interior design or do the same thing but having the explain yourself everytime to clients who ask, "interior architect, what's that?"
people know what interior design is and it is a regulated profession.

but this is different in other parts of the world.
for example in turkey, when i tell people i am an architect, next question almost all the time is, "interior or exterior?"

what is problematic though, in some cases interior design professionals, whether called interior architects or not, try to diminish architect's role to technical or facade and permits only level of involvement, this is done in very sinister ways.
and this also happens from the other end with architects reducing the interior designers' role to mere "color gal."
it is awful in both cases and usually results in highly mediocre products.
it is very important that the design hierarchy and consultant structure in the owner-architect contracts clearly state interior designers' role in certain project.

some interior 'architects and designers' i came across are totally committed to architecture and work as a team, anywhere from bottom up.
if people come and say they are interior architects, i would like to assume they are dedicated to architecture and possibly are licensed or have the credentials to participate in building design process and construction and specializing in interior design.

ideal is to work with real interior designers, not somebody just sees it such your work as an architect ends, theirs start picking colors, furniture and other absolutely important extensions of the architectural work in its fully executed form. most of these type of designers not necessarily realizing the extent and range of their own work.
i also have encountered architects who should absolutely have no business in designing.

i wonder if OMA is also looking for people i have just described?

Dec 12, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: