Archinect
anchor

The Title "Interior Architect"

liberty bell
j

called it. Every time this argument comes up again - which it will - I'm going to refer them to j's paragraph:

it comes down to this - if you've satisfied your state's requirements to be an architect (degree, experience, test, or whatever), then you can call yourself an architect. if you call yourself an architect with respect to architecture or a related field (i.e. not 'systems architect), you are violating the law.

And starbear is right - it truly is black and white. Although, IMO, if you're a degreed intern but not yet registered, then you can go ahead and call yourself an architect socially (i.e. at parties, when meeting potential dates) but not when offering professional services.

Dec 12, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
Underground

So, to answer my question. This person received a interior design certificate from UCLA Extension, so she cannot call herself an interior architect....correct? This is in the state of california.

Dec 12, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Why do people get so bent out of shape when subjects come up multiple times?

Dec 12, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Underground... like I said in my previous post, if this person only has a certificate and has not taken the NCIDQ, she cannot technically even call herself an interior designer, let alone and interior architect.

Thanks Orhan for your comments, They are pretty much dead on.

No matter what, people are always going to abuse using these terms and it sucks.

Personally I believe the only people that have the right to call themselves interior architects are those individuals that actually are licensed in both professions. I've only come across one or two, but they amazingly enough do actually exist.

Dec 12, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

[i]if this person only has a certificate and has not taken the NCIDQ, she cannot technically even call herself an interior designer, let alone and interior architect. [\i] Is that really true tuna? Maybe it varies by state.

Dec 12, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

You are correct Starbear, it actually does vary by state, but the interior design community is rallying for it to be adopted in all states. Right now I believe at least 13 states have adopted this legislation.

The interior design community/industry has actually been working on this for years in response of what HGTV has done in recent years to the popularity of "interior design" Since it's inception, there has been a growing trend of people who think just b/c they are good with color and pretty things, they can set their sign out front and call themselves interior designers. It's a way to protect the profession b/c it is indeed so much more than just finishes, especially when it comes to the commercial sector.

I work in Kentucky and b/c Kentucky has adopted these guidelines, I do not believe I can advertise/market myself as an interior designer b/c I have not taken the test. In Ohio (where I reside), unfortunately, I still can, but it's in the works. Don't get me wrong, it's not as strict as with architects, but it is out there.

Dec 12, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

In California this person can't use the word "Architect" in her title UNLESS she is actually licensed as an architect. On the one hand California's board pursues these title infractions agressively and routinely fines people thousands of dollars for mis-use of the words "architect", "architecture", and "architectural", and even the title "building designer". On the other hand, in California (and approximately 16 other states) it is still possible to be licensed as an architect without an architecture education, with a certain number of years of experience. So her lack of an architecture degree alone does not establish that she couldn't possibly be an architect.

The title "architect" is regulated by most state boards. Use of the words "architecture", "architectural", and "designer" are regulated by some states and not by others.
"Interior Designer" requires certain credentials in some states and not others. In a few states that do license Interior Designers any licensed architect is automatically allowed to get licensed as an Interior Designer just by paying a fee, without taking the NCIDQ...

If you want to get your "Interior Architect" colleague in trouble you can send her business card or letterhead or anything on which she uses that titel to the California board. But, it might be honest confusion on her part - there are a number of "Interior Architecture" programs at US universities.

Dec 12, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

liberty bell> i'm a license architect outside of US, in our country, is also legally to call urself an architect without a license. however, that doesn't mean i have to agree with it... in this town, there are many license architect who build shit works all his life that do not deserve to be called architect.

Dec 12, 07 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

in my opinion, u need to earn to be called anything, a license/certificate alone is not enough.

Dec 12, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

tunamelt: if you want to call yourself an interior designer you should check with the state and see whether architects are excused from the NCIDQ test and/or any specific education requirements, because the ARE is considered to be more stringent than the NCIDQ. I don't know about Kentucky, but I know that in some states that do license interior designers and require the NCIDQ they automatically exempt any architect who is licensed in that state. For example, Connecticut licenses interior designers and requires NCIDQ, but all CT-registered architects can be licensed as interior designers just by submitting a form - they're exempt from the testing requirement, and architects are even exempted from paying the annual dues for their interior designer license.

Dec 12, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
archislave
http://www.gtech.com/

should we start calling lawyers?

Dec 13, 07 1:30 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Bloopox - thanks for the suggestion... the only thing is, I'm not an architect, my degree is in interior design. Hopefully one day I'll take NCIDQ and then be able to actually call myself an interior designer. For now though, I just say "well my degree was in interior design..." Too complicated to explain to the masses what I actually am/do.

Dec 13, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

interior architect is a uk thing, and its an official title. And if the Queen gives her blessing by all means we should follow suit

For Queen and country, God save the Queen

Dec 14, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

Architects, over the course of the 20th century, progressively ceded much of their domain to other industries, some by necessity. But the result is that you have structural engineers (necessary), landscape designers, acoustical consultants, kitchen consultants, waterproofing consultants and finally interior designers doing all the work that architects used to do.

I'm working with an interior decorator on a house job—hired by the owner, separate from architectural contract. As far as I can tell, the only prerequisite is to wear expensive shirts and be able to use a box of crayons.

Dec 14, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
jae

pictures and lamps don't make the roof stand up kid

Dec 15, 07 1:19 am  · 
 · 

i wouldn't get worked up over this.
and as mentioned earlier, in some countries it is an official title. australia included.

Dec 15, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: