Archinect
anchor

Winter 07-08 Movie Central

boxy

Ok, I know that typically this is the slow time of the year for film, but I'm excited to see Juno and Sweeney Todd. Ah hell, I'll throw in the Kite Runner as well. What should I keep an eye open for this winter?

Dec 8, 07 6:47 pm
WonderK

I have mentioned this previously, but I am very excited to see "I Am Legend". Why, you ask? Because as we all know, there are three things that work in Hollywood:

1) Will Smith
2) the apocalypse
3) zombies

....and this movie has all three. Wouldn't miss it for anything!

I would also like to see Juno, it looks really cute.

Dec 8, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
jae

any idea if the similarity between the movie "I Am Legend" and the name of the band "He Is Legend"?

Dec 8, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
jae

*holds any relevance?

sorry that was supposed to be in there

Dec 8, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I saw I'm Not There last week. The cinematography was phenomenal while the plot was a bit discombobulated.

Cate Blanchett deserves an Oscar for her performance. She was amazing. Absolutely amazing. I'd probably watch it again solely to see her perfectly execute Bob Dylan's mannerisms.

Dec 8, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm intrigued to see i am legend, only as to how it compares w/ the last man on earth

other than that, i'm too busy catching up on old flicks from the last few years.

$10 is a lot to swallow for 2 hours of entertainment.

at least w/ a CD, i get to listen to it over and over and over...

Dec 8, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

any will smith movie is a guaranteed suckfest. this legend looks like a pale remake of omega man. maybe i'll go the savages.

Dec 8, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

vado, all 3 (i am legend, omega man and the last man on earth) are based on the novel, i am legend

Dec 8, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

I can't wait for Van Damme's sequel: I Am Legionnaire

Dec 8, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

one word...

Ram bo

oh ,yeah

Dec 8, 07 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Thanks for the link Holz, I'm watching it now as I work at Mindnight on a Saturday.

Dec 9, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i have a friend that does visuals for techno-freaks, he gets all his good stuff from the archive. it's a really interesting movie, i don't know many people that actually like it, though.

sorry you've got to be working, though. hopefully you've at least got some company or a few beers to pull ya through.

Dec 9, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 

I would like to see the I am Legend,
Also, it was previous week, but i was awed by the latest Coen work.
Deliberate and beautiful.

Also, i just a trailer for the new reworked Chipmunks...!!!
Ahhhhhhh!!!

I mean i like (as in will watch) Jason Lee, ,but live action..???

As for Rambo...I actually saw the trailer a few months back. I was surprised that they went topical..with regards to the geo-political context
Meaning the current Burmese/Karen national struggles...

Dec 9, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

the winter season is actually often a boon for good movies as everyone tries to get their films in just ahead of the 12/25 oscar consideration date and yet as close to the oscar selection time as possible so as to be fresh in the voters' minds.

i just saw one of the movies i was looking forward to most, No Country For Old Men.

Persepolis looks great but I am worried it may just be a "bringing-to-life" of the books and nothing more.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head... just gonna catch up on a lot of oldies!

Dec 9, 07 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

@ Myriam..
What did you think of No Country?

Dec 10, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I'll be in line on Christmas day (when it opens) to see alien vs predator II. I might have to camp out on Christmas eve actually, skip the family traditions, because I'm worried about the long lines. I'll also be there in costume. movie of the century.

i'll move this to the appropriate thread in a couple of days. but seriously why is it opening on Christmas?

Dec 10, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

phuyaka, I was really worried there for a second. You got me ;o)

Dec 10, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

one of the funniest cartoon shorts i've ever seen was called AFP

this was the write up in the stranger:

A pizza delivery boy straight out of Alien serves some hot sausage to a desperate housewife straight out of Predator. An animated short, AFP—or Alien F*cks Predator—featured HUMP!'s most surprising [edited]

Dec 10, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Dec 10, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

ha, sorry WK. it was a little too early in the day a little too early in the week for heavy sarcasm. i just saw the previews this weekend and i really don't get the xmas day opening strategy for that one... especially considering everyone will be going to Fred Claus that day anyways.

Dec 10, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

No Country for Old Men is awesome. Visuals, story, and dialogue had me on the floor.

I wanna see Golden Compass. I borrowed the book from my little sister.

Dec 10, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

a personal favorite of mine.

Dec 10, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I loved No Country.

I also remembered--I'm really looking forward to seeing Walk Hard after those guys were interviewed on Fresh Air and were hilarious. Also looking forward to Atonement.

Dec 10, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

I second Rambo, should be good. That and the Scooby Doo Christmas Special. 2 straight hours of Scooby is a good thing.

Dec 10, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

No Country for Old men was *astounding*. Loved it. I really liked Eastern Promises too. Earlier in the year I thought that Ratatouille and Once were great too. The preview for There Will Be Blood came on before No Country and now I really want to see it.

Both No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood were filmed around Marfa, Texas at the same time last year-Marfa, home of the Chinati foundation and all those Donald Judd sculptures-just to tie this back into architecture a bit. And I'm from TX so it was nice to see all the TX flavor in the Coen Brothers movie.

Dec 11, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

this looks awesome and is opening soon:
http://www.sonypictures.com/classics/persepolis/

it is too early but this joker coming out in Summer '08 looks promising:

Dec 11, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah all of their movies as far back as Blood Simple or Fargo place great enphasis on their locale and on place/space.

For context, aesthetic etc....

I am a big fan of wide open, dusty hardscrabble Texan and other Western locales.

Dec 12, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i want to see most of the movies listed above + Beowulf...but i am insistent on only seeing it at the IMAX.

Dec 12, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

the loft building in Blood Simple is still my dream apartment. well, sans the psycho texan PI trying to kill me

Dec 12, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Lando

What about There Will Be Blood?

Dec 12, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the Batman movie is going to rock. I have always loved the Batman movies

Dec 12, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles

we will be drunk or snowboarding

Dec 12, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

n_

I thought that IM NOT THERE was a little confusing as well

Dec 12, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
postal

whoah q, that's supposedly heath ledger? crazy... i can't wait.

Dec 12, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Im also excited to see There Will Be Blood. It just won the LA Film Critics association awards for Best Pic, Director, Actor and Cinematography. PT Anderson never disappoints.

Sorry, but I dont share the same enthusiasm as those that like No Country. I think the movie works for the first 2/3, then falls apart. I hated the ending...though others will disagree. Once the movie was over, and the lights came up, half the audience was pissed off and yelled. I was one of them.

Dec 12, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
SavedByTech

tsk tsk...forego the hollywood fare and familiarize yourself with the director that is a tarkovski in waiting - bela tarr. buy "werkmeister harmonies" and "satantango" on dvd for christmas.
also, get the most striking docu i've seen in recent years - "darwin's nightmare"

everything else is just predictable and vertically integrated hyperbole.

Dec 12, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
n_

While I usually enjoy nonlinear narratives, I still think I'm Not There wasn't able to pull it off successfully. The transitions between the six different Bob Dylan characters were brash and left no time for viewer reflection. I wish I would have like the movie more than I did because I think the idea of the movie is great. Execution, not so much.

It's redeeming factor is this performance:

Dec 12, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
aking

So has anyone went to see "I am Legend"? My husband and I were contemplating going. Does it live up to the hype.

Dec 15, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

recently i saw Control -Anton Corbijn's first feature film. about Joy Division, or more specifically about Ian Curtis the lead singer.
now although i am the biggest Joy Division fan, i really enjoyed this film. highly recommended.

Dec 15, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, as promised, I saw I Am Legend on Friday night. The reviews were lukewarm, good but not great, so I went into it fairly neutral. And.....I loved it. It scared the crap out of me but it was just so well done. Like him or not Will Smith did an amazing job in the movie and dog was great as well. I highly recommend it and I would see it again, in the theater.

....But that's just my opinion. :o)

We also saw the short trailer for Batman. Holy hell, that doesn't look or sound like Heath Ledger at all. And it looks amazing also.

Dec 16, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

I cant wait for the new Batman,

The joker was always my fav, villain.

Especially in the Dark Knight...tales.

I also, heard that I Am Legend was brilliant.

Dec 16, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
gillespie

i have no desire to see the movie, but the trailer for "one missed call" creeped me out a little bit. especially that damn ringtone.

i really liked "i am legend" and would consider seeing it again. the views of new york as ghost town were amazing. my only problem with it is when will smith is in times square, you see decaying billboards for a variety of shows - shows which are open now, but not shows that will be open a year from now. if the story takes place in late 2009, why have no new broadway shows opened in the previous 24 months? its picky, i know, but thats the only part of the movie that bothered me. other than that, i thought it was pretty fantastic.

im kinda intrigued by "cloverfield," but maybe its just some subconscious desire to see another new-york-as-the-background-to-apocalypse movie.

Dec 17, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 

I saw No Country opening weekend and loved it, but I read the book and think that McCarthy and the Coen Bros. was a really good match. There's long been rumors of movie adaptations of 'Blood Meridian' and 'The Road' and I'm hoping those eventually happen.

Cloverfield caught my attention because of all the weird internet hints (see slusho.jp) but its kinda fallen off my radar. We'll see what happens.

Definitely want to see I Am Legend, enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the film. Walk Hard is on my list of movies to see, although I rarely go to the theater and wait till its out on video.

Dec 17, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Lately I've seen a couple of movies that surprised me; Beowulf which I liked a lot more than I thought I would and I Am Legend which disappointed me.

Beowulf was a real good translation of the story, at first I thought it was going to be a male teenager's cheese fest, but it turned very human and I couldn't stop thinking about it and its subtleties for days. Bloody.

IMHO, I Am Legend was too two dimensional. I like monster-apocalyptic movies because they teach us something about humanity, most of the time that we suck. From Frankenstein to King Kong to Edward Scissorhands to 24 days Later, we always find out that humans can be the worse animals of all.

In I Am Legend we have a too good to be true character who never falters (even though he has no qualms with (sub)human testing killing hundreds). I did not get anything out of the movie except a fear of cancer cures that involve viruses and cool shots of an empty NYC.

Beowulf succeeded because it showed me my (and our) own short comings, in contrast the Fresh Prince was too royal to relate to.

Jan 4, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i really want to see:

persepolis
the orphanage
cloverfield

Jan 4, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

I also really am excited about Orphanage...

Del Toro was the producer on it so you know if he is throwing hsi weight behind it,,,

Jan 4, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I saw Persepolis the other day. It was beautifully done, and the story was compelling and informative, but I would not recommend going into it if you are sleepy. It's not that it was boring, it was just rather subdued. But gorgeous nonetheless.

Jan 4, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

has anyone seen "There Will Be Blood" i am pretty geeked to see this movie, it sounds epic.

Jan 4, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

WonderK
Subdued films can be hard to watch if your not wide awake.
Even very beautiful ones.

Beta i too am looking forward to seeing There will be Blood. Although i sceptically wonder if i will like it as much as i did the Coen's recent film.

Jan 6, 08 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i'm looking forward to there will be blood too.

jonny greenwood, of radiohead, scored the film.

Jan 7, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Juno is brilliant

Jan 7, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: