Archinect
anchor

Winter 07-08 Movie Central

xtbl

yeah, that's on my list as well.

who else is looking forward to "be kind rewind"?

jack black + mos def + michel gondry (!!!)

Jan 7, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Juno was really good. Wizard, even. :o)

I would like to see Be Kind Rewind as well. I heart Mos Def.

Jan 7, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i liked him a lot in "hitchhikers' guide to the galaxy" and "16 blocks." should be fun to see him paired with jack black.

Jan 7, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

zb - i am very much looking forward to 'be kind, rewind.'

Jan 7, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

juno is indeed brilliant. we didn't make it to see "sweeney todd" but that's ok, i once played the bassoon in the pit of a high-school production of it (edited for content) so i should be ok. or maybe not.

but really, juno is really great. i have never before seen any type of media where i walked away thinking, "man, i really liked jennifer garner in that." i read someone who called it conservative propaganda and based on that recommendation alone, i will be buying the dvd.

Jan 7, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Conservative propaganda written by a striper-blogger turned scriptwriter.

Haha!

Jan 7, 08 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, just reporting back in, I saw two movies this weekend:

-Into the Wild: great movie. Poignant and thoughtful, and it made me want to come home and get rid of all my earthly possessions.

-Cloverfield: ha. OK, so I screeched at one point due to a creature's appearance that I was not expecting, but I can't really say that it was great. It was kind of like a mash up of Godzilla and Blair Witch Project, and there were a couple of vague visual references to the WTC collapse that I wasn't happy with. Also, you have to suspend your belief in physics, which is annoying since it presents itself as so "realistic" with the hand-held camera and that. Unlike the first film, this didn't compel me to do anything when I got home except stare at a wall in order to rest my eyes.

Jan 21, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I saw The Kite Runner yesterday. I read the book 2 years ago but was hesitant to see the movie. Movies always have a way of ruining the book for me. I lose the character I have created and only think of the actor/actress. Not the case this time. The movie was great. It was beautifully shot and the score nailed the story. The acting was wonderful too. I was shocked to learn that it was the first role for the two young Afghani children.

Next on the list, Persepolis.

Jan 21, 08 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

From the LAist:

In what can only be seen as a ratification of Mike Huckabee's belief that Satan actually exists, Fool's Gold roared to the top of the box office this weekend with a robust take of $22M. Plans are already underway for a third Kate Hudson-Matthew McConaughey pairing, tentatively titled Shit Sandwich. In further bad news, Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins finished second with a healthy gross of $17.1M in its first weekend. A sequel to the film has already been greenlit: Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins 2: Similar Premise.

Feb 12, 08 1:53 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha, oh those funny funny bloggers.

so, i finally saw there will be blood last night. i thought it was really really good. from the first frame, the cinematography and music (by jonny greenwood of radiohead) had me. i think it may give no country for old men (which was also great) a run for its money for best picture. daniel day lewis's performance was brilliant. so far hes got my vote for best actor.

i also saw juno. while i liked it, and was entertained by it, i couldn't help but feel that it was a bit fake with all of its snarkiness. what 16 year old talks like that?

Feb 14, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Watched Persepolis last night.

Love would be an understatement. It was beautifully animated with bold, yet simple animations. The characters were dynamic and the plot was interesting.

Feb 22, 08 9:55 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

ahhhhh, i really want to see that.

n_, did you see it with subtitles or was it dubbed?

Feb 22, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Subtitles.

Feb 22, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Persepolis was good. I thought the characters in Persepolis felt more real even with subtitles than characters in some live action movies.

Feb 22, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

link
Feb 28, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i caught be kind rewind last night. i loved their interpretations of the movies. and i now have a crush on mia farrow.

Mar 19, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

it's spring now, but i didn't feel like creating a new movie thread.

i'm really looking forward to seeing the fall. it looks pretty cool.

May 7, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I just watched Ewan McGregor's Long Way Round. Anyone else seen it? Made me want to quit my job in a few months and travel. Oh wait, I am doing that.

May 7, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes, yes, yes, loved Long Way Round, n_. Loved it. Next out is Long Way Down, in which they go down to the tip of Africa. Looking forward to it.

i could use a good movie right now! Instead it's all floor plans, all night.

May 7, 08 9:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: