Archinect
anchor

Sketch

SDR

Get sketchy with it !

How/why do you sketch ? Do you think it/see it/sketch it ? Or do you think it/sketch it/see it ?

Oct 26, 07 4:18 pm

...and since these never come out well when resized: here

Oct 26, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I suppose a sketch, no more or less than a photograph, can suffer from lack of captioning or other explanation. When sketching we are usually talking to ourself, trying out ideas and recording the procession of their development. Another type of sketch is intended to communicate those ideas visually to others. And we are usually aware, in either case, of how the thing looks; we are always practicing our chops.

Oct 26, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

I would compare sketching to the process of writing:

Sometimes, I come up with a wonderful and seemingly lucid idea. But when I try to write it on paper it is lost. This is because a good thought isn't the same a good sentence. It takes a lot of work transforming the thought into words on paper - oftentimes with a good amount of loss of the initial idea.

Sketching seems to me to be much of the same process. A seemingly lucid idea must be transformed into an drawing so that it can be shared with others. For most architects the sketch is a means of designing and then producing a building. I think you are a very talented architect if you are able to fully transform an idea into a building - sketching is the first essential step.

Oct 26, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

im fuckin' sketchy

Oct 26, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

I got your back, cryz., nice stuff, all.

Oct 26, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

^^ those above are cryzko's btw, if that wasn't clear ^^

I like to use sketching to explore and understand pattern and texture, here's one of mine:

Oct 26, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Excellent. (Remember, it's )

It's certainly been true for me that the idea in mind starts being "worked on" *by* the drawing almost from the first line. Sometimes, keeping it "in line" is difficult, as new possiblilties/modifications suggest themselves while the object takes shape. While this is a legitimate function of the sketch process, I suppose, nevertheless it can be frustrating to lose the initial motif so quickly.

Maybe this scenario is the result of a half-baked or weak idea ? Still, I can't really buy the iconcept, supposedly espoused by Wright, that you should have the thing firmly in mind before the pencil hits the paper. Different strokes. . .?

Oct 26, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Metalwork, 765 ? Snaky-cool. . .did you use a trace to get the mirror image ? (I always wonder how this has been done for symmetrical objects, like vehicles, over the decades and centuries. . .)

cryxko's sketch seems to include hard-line work as well as marginal details and notes. So far we have four quite different examples that are all "sketches." Cool.

(I was trying to give the pic code. It's URL width=420 surrounded directy by .

Oct 26, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
SDR
Oct 26, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

fuggedaboudit

Oct 26, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i have a mini adj.triangle that i use when i get sketch happy..... i guesstimate the dimensions also..... i really dont use a ruler when i do my details.......

b

Oct 26, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Right. I guess that brings up: when is it no longer a sketch but a drawing ?

Oct 26, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary
http://www.237am.com/images/84535PM9172007large_image_elias1-1.jpg

the bathroom sketch from above....to final build.... no cad required

b

Oct 26, 07 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
binary

people sketch in different manners......

define a sketch to me then........ a sketch is a drawing.... just in freeform....

b

Oct 26, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

I think you've got to be looking for something in a sketch. A sketch is a question, a drawing is a statement, if I can get all mystical for a second ...

Oct 26, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I like that.

Oct 27, 07 12:43 am  · 
 · 
grid

yes! I've been waiting for this thread!! I will post some stuff soon!!

Oct 27, 07 4:26 am  · 
 · 

sketches are illustrations of thought, I find when words fail to convey the message I typicall draw it to better explain it

Oct 27, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
grid

photographs of sketches... need scanner.

Oct 27, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

VERY NICE

Oct 27, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Oct 27, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
dannyglix

Oct 27, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
philipb

wow danny, very nice, especially the bottom one

Oct 28, 07 3:14 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, your stuff's awesome, Danny.

Y'all should check out Glix's flickr stream:

link

Oct 28, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

Here's a space station I designed in the fourth grade:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/harleycat/1792456858/]
[/url]

Oct 28, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
binary

space stations...haha

i used to design level mazes...(sort of like pitfall)...

also did fully armored semi-trucks with missiles and guns and shyt...hahaha

man....... makes me wanna cry now

b

Oct 28, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yeah -- I filled pages and pages of paper with rows of cars, all pointing left (I think) and with ever more swoopy tail fins (the fifty-seven Chrysler line had just appeared, I think). Later, my father (working as the resident mechanical engineer at Research Corp in NYC, reviewing and nursing inventions to the patent stage) periodically received pages like 765's above, in four colors of ballpoint pen, depicting indecipherable mechanical devices annotated with Martian heiroglyphics, from some wonderful loon -- I mean guy.

Dannyglix, I wish I could see a close-up of your first design. Looks like these are printed samples ? The scale coin is a good idea.

Nice stuff, grid and nosleep. Ink is the thing -- but I couldn't work without an eraser.

More, more ! Anybody ?

Oct 28, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

hey can anyone tell me what i need to put in the picture link to make sure that it doesn't get cropped off of the page. I know that i saw it on one of these boards but i can't find it now, and i saw SDR tried on this page but i can't figure it out. Thanks

Oct 28, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i screw that up everytime... something about space width=415 or something...

b

Oct 28, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

After the URL, one space and then width=420

Al that is tight between the [img] deals.

Oct 28, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

alrite i'll give it a go, i think i'm going to screw it up

Oct 28, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

here are some more quick sketches...

i also like to sketch with 3-d modeling, here are some examples...

Oct 28, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yay ! Now -- what is it ?

Oct 28, 07 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Sorry -- that was for the first sketch. I like those perspective strokes.

Oct 28, 07 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

the first three (the hand-drawn ones) are sketches that i have done at various stages for this project: www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=65933_0_42_0_C

and the last two (the modeled ones) were for a small project where i was trying to create a sort of "guerrilla architecture," in which these linear structures could be built quickly, and erected quickly, and hoisted onto existing buildings. I was going to use a sort of LED display so that the user could text a message, and it would be displayed on the structure. This project isn't very developed, i only spent a day or two on it, but i liked the idea alot and perhaps will revisit it in the future

Oct 28, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Nice stuff, threewizmen. I like the idea of sketching in Rhino or FormZ, I've done that before too, but I've never thought about it that way.

The great thing about sketching in a 3D modeling app is that you can just keep playing with the same model and developing it as the thing gets pulled into tighter and tighter focus.

Oct 28, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

exactly, to me, sketching is a part of the design process. it's easy to blur the lines between sketching and other means of representation. Obviously sketching isn't limited to paper, i've done and seen plenty of sketch models, physical or computer-generated.

Oct 28, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

i usually sketch to think. i often use my rough sketches to show ideas to clients, which is fairly easy as i tend to design in perspective rather than plan or elevation or section.... we use 3d models too, and physical sketch models as well. photoshop makes anything useful in the end.

these are some early images for a house design:

which, after 2 books full of sketches and about 20 models lead to something like this for pres:

and currently looks like this:

Oct 29, 07 1:29 am  · 
 · 
threeewizmen

awesome post jump, its great to see a project from sketch to finish (almost),

i love to go back and forth between sketching on paper or trace, and then i scan it and photoshop, model materials, and repeat. After going through those steps a few times you get an extremely interesting graphic that can display skin systems, circulation, materials, site etc. in one image. I'll post one of them tomorrow probably.

Oct 29, 07 1:33 am  · 
 · 
funkitecture

mostly i sketch it/see it/ understand it
and then sketch other things that the initial sketch made me think of
that way my hand teaches my mind

like seeing a mistake as an opportunity...
or playing notes or beats and then trying to repeat them but not getting it the same and then realizing your attempt at imitation was better than what you were trying to imitate...letting serendipity lead you, learning to fly by way of the hitchhiker's guide, etc.

sketching is graphic thought
to sketch is to think

sometimes i see it/sketch it/think it, sketch it again to see it from a different point of view, resketch it/rethink it, resketch it/refine it

Oct 29, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
grid

only use pen. it's good for the soul.

Oct 29, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

. . .over pencil ? (Heh-heh). I agree with you -- but I'm *bok bok* chicken.

I turn my pencil sk's into "ink" by photocopying them -- after which I can add color, shading, etc. The full monty is a "print" made by spraying paint with stencils (easily cut from spare copies), sometimes onto colored or card stock.

Oct 29, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

But back to primary sketching.

Anybody else ? I love seeing the variety of means, methods and materials presented so far.

Nov 9, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
binary

outside sculpture

block of wood

back of a chair

these were done with a uniball pen when i was in poland in '98

Nov 10, 07 3:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: