Archinect
anchor

Paint the Guggenheim

SDR

From Archinect News: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--guggenheim-paint1014oct14,0,79485.story

Though I was raised near New York, and attended one of the opening nights of the museum, it's been many many years since I was last in Manhattan. I well recall the color of the museum when new; it was very much the color of a manilla file folder -- or even a bit darker. It had escaped my notice until now that the museum had migrated to a lighter and colder color.

Are there any opinions here about the color to be chosen as part of the current restoration ? What color is the tower addition -- which I assume is of precast panels not intended to be painted ?

Oct 17, 07 11:51 pm
Apurimac

SDR, you're old enough to remember the opening? Pretty impressive mate considering that was 70 years ago.

I personally like it lighter than the original manila color, but I know wright would want it redone exactly the way it was 70 years ago.

Oct 18, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 
SDR

1959 -- almost fifty years. I was a senior in high school. More discussion by us Wright nuts, here:

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=2401&sid=0b5ee2c191f4b4189118a6128b6c2f3d

The interior was also painted, and used, differently from Wright's imaginings.

Oct 18, 07 12:25 am  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

The cold white color looks pretty good to me.

I was just up there a few weeks ago. Too bad most of it is covered with tarps and scaffolding right now.

Oct 18, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i think they should paint it pink right now, kind of like when they light the Empire State Bldg a color on special occasions...

Oct 18, 07 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh, sorry bout that SDR I thought it opened in '39.

Oct 18, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
SDR

No prob. I think the commision came in '43, so you're no far off.

Never one of my favorites -- but since we have it it might as well (like any other building) represent the architect's wishes ? And a warm color seems to suit it, to me -- a sand castle in the middle of Manhattan ?

Oct 18, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
aml

well i was in nyc last month and sort of enjoyed seeing it scaffolded. i mean, it's temporary and it was suddenly just a different building.

Oct 18, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

that place is falling apart...its about time they fixed it up!

Last itme I was there was about 2 yrs ago...and the facades were crumbling...I mean you could see large chunks that had fallen off!

Oct 18, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yes -- they are doing quite a patch job, inside and out. They mapped every crack, divided into three categories by width. Big job. At least they didn't have to do structural intervention as at Fallingwater (took up stone floor, inserted tension members to prevent further sagging, re-laid floor). Same restoration architects. . .

Oct 18, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i love the piece from the NYTimes about mapping the cracks in the shell:

here's a direct link too: ...here...

Oct 18, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

the interior at the FLW Xanadu Gallery in SF, on Maiden Lane, has the creamy, yellow-y off-white too. nothing WHITE about it.

here:

Oct 18, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Right. Wright was not a Bauhaus man, after all. . .! His interior surfaces were typically intergrally colored sand-float plaster, where they were not wood, brick or stone. A project as large as the Guggenheim would have the "compromise" of painted surfaces. . .

Oct 18, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Found this here http://www.douglasanders.com/ (scroll down)

But museum officials and neighborhood groups argue that the building was buff yellow for only its first five years, and that after four additions, the museum is more than the iconic circular structure designed by Wright. “I’ve talked to lots and lots of people and I have yet to find somebody who remembers this building buff yellow,” said Pamela Jerome, director of Wanks Adams Slavin Associates, the project’s preservation architect. “This is not black and white. It’s an extremely complex question, as stupid as that sounds for mere paint.”

Really ? What's her phone number ?

Oct 18, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

So once a building is too old for anyone living to remember the original color it's an irrelevant question? This is from a preservation architect? I guess she says it's a complex question not irrelevant.

I say give her a call SDR!

Wanks Adams Slavin Associates
T 212.420.1160

Ask for Pamela

Oct 18, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I went to Corb's Esprit Nouveau a few years back and it looked like it was in pretty good shape...it is used as an architecture office now...so I would imagine that they would keep it looking good.

Aside from all the hypodermic needles in the grass outside the pavilion its a great place!

Oct 18, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks, p-m -- I'm on it.

Is that Corbu's mint green ? And did Terragni get his Casa del Fascio facade from this building ? (Not a good copy, if he did !) Nice to see that original graphic still in place. . .

Oct 18, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
AeSK

Is it too obvious a statement to say that the white will simply look better than the beige? (Yes, some would disagree, but they would be wrong.) We should stop treating FLW like a sacred cow, and begin to consider his monumental achievement as a living, relevant entity to be worked with/in/on. The Guggenheim is too good a building to be treated as a mummified artifact too precious to withstand anything new. FLW was a genius, but he had his tacky side; it shouldn't be heresy to acknowledge this. If the building could survive the Gwathmey addition (and in fact be improved by it), it can handle the white paint.

Oct 18, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yes, Wright could be tacky. Is anything but white also tacky ? Or is it just beige that you object to ?

Oct 18, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
AeSK

My only point is that in this particular instance, with this particular building, the beige would not look as good as white. Remember that in earler renderings, Wright had drawn the building in everything from sky blue to yellow to hot pink (as has been mentioned in a previous comment). I guess I should just be thankful he settled on beige. Imagine the conversation we'd be having now if he stopped on green!

Oct 19, 07 12:54 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Hmm -- so you like white. That's ok. It's been painted a grey-white, apparently, for decades. And if it looks to some like a big washing-machine (as it apparently did, to some) then white is perhaps the best color.

Again I ask, what color is the tower addition ?

Oct 19, 07 8:16 am  · 
 · 

let's go sage, how 'bout? a little greenwashing for pr purposes.

Oct 19, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Sage is good. Wright was about earth colors.

Maybe a different color for each level ?

Someone call Mies and tell him that book-matched veined marble is so 'thirties. Let's put flowered Contact Paper on that Barcelona Pavilion replica and "bring it into the 'nineties". . .

Oct 19, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 

kewllll!

Oct 19, 07 8:47 am  · 
 · 
SDR

The colors could be shaded in a progression from left to right, so the color at the right end of one level would continue at the left of the next ramp. . .

Oct 19, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 

leave it naked.

Oct 20, 07 8:14 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Now there's an idea.

Looks like they cast those bronze letters right into the concrete ?

Is that a CAMERA inserted in the soffit ??

Oct 20, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

I think it should be painted in bar-code stripes !

Oct 23, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
binary

doo doo brown

Oct 23, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

chrome it!

Oct 23, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
aml

more naked gug:

Oct 23, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Clear-coat ?

I bet someone's working on "electrric paint" -- a coating that can be changed in appearance at will, like the windows that can be switched from clear to opaque.

Oct 23, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

SDR, i actually know someone who worked (or may still be working) on something like that at Ga Tech.

Oct 23, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Well, the Gugg would seem like an ideal showcase, if there's a system that's ready to be installed. . .

I could have my manilla beige on Tuesday's, or whatever. Giddyup !

Oct 23, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

it would probably be very feasible to paint it a color that changes according to sun levels. On a cloudy day its grey, on a sunny day its beige. Of course that would cost money but the technologies been around for a while.

Oct 23, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Yeah, automatic would be good. I imagine the effect would be that the areas actually exposed to direct sunlight would change, so you'd have a two-tone building ? A bright day would give a "ghost shadow" effect when clouds passed over. . .

Oct 23, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: