Archinect
anchor

houses of the future

carolawinnie

what wud houses by the year 2030 be like?

Aug 15, 07 3:08 pm
cadalyst

they "would" float

Aug 15, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

what 'will' houses be in 2040?

Aug 15, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

you need some majer spell checkin

Aug 15, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

do u mean the earth wud have only water? where r the rest of the buildings?

Aug 15, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

sorry! 'would'....'would'

Aug 15, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i bet the typical house in 2030 will look something like this:

but with newer kitchen appliances!

Aug 15, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
simples

or, as cadalyst mentioned:
http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=62833_0_24_0_C

Aug 15, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I find it irasional that any house shuld float ,esp. when you emagine how weak a vessel , all houses are; starting to build houses that will float wull anyway ask a compleat rethinking of the intire industrie and for what porpus --- none of today's pointers indicate just beautifull houseboats, most are overpacked ,share an impossible stability curve, would proberly kill hundreds of people case it was allowed to rage thru the waters ,in fact impossible to maneage and when left on dry land, impossible to move , things you already shuld know.

I am more concerned from what these future designs may be assembled from, if new Eco friendly and cheaper materials will be develobed for just that, not for floating houses, but for a new architecture, --- please allow me to experss this issue with these words, and these ;

"Remember that this is also just a framework, for further development, keep in mind that this is the basic idea, what I show must be simple as the whole attitude are so different from the traditional structural thinking, still, it reveals a relevant answer, a direct link from projecting to producing the individual building element and it does not fight, but shape itself under the demands of other building components, - the standard window frames will not ask altering, you can place a traditional huge steel profile in the center of the structure, it will just shape around and even lock the profile in place. When you place the engine in the engine room, the foundations will shape exactly around the engine foundations, when you add a tank the framework shape around and support it, this framework work in maxi and micro size it work with many other structures than just those of buildings, the limitations are only in your mind and the manufacturing is digitally controlled."

Aug 15, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

no Per... generally im with you.... but you are way way off on this one...
in the future all houses will float
cause the earth will be flooded

end of discussion

Aug 15, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

And please let me asure you, --- I lived on houseboats for 30 years, this is not the future houseboats are not the solution ,a new architecture perhaps, that allow the craftsmanship again enter the industrie, a houseboat are more trouble than you think, and not just an easy life not at all, sorry but I realy find it more relevant to think in real solutions that may consider experience, and mine say that a houseboat also will be more expensive unless ofcaurse the design is crap.

Aug 15, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

thats exactly what i would propose for houses of the future

crappily built houseboats... they would be available in a variety of colors and patterns... perhaps the craftsman could be involved in the applying of the decals

Aug 15, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I don't think so, if it then just was house boats, not ugly boxes placed ontop silli floatations means , a clumpsy design and a huge volume ,you can't even emagine the povers of such over expensive design, --- in limited numbers and with a bit more care about the design I agrea them a place, but houseboats are not the answer to further develobment either in manufactoring or arcitecture , it's a niche sadly modern times did not bring acturly beauty houses in that respect ; ask anyone passing one of these modern "houseboats" that all cost a farm, no one find them just beautifull. Even you can find beautifull houseboats, but then the caps are on Boat not house.

Aug 15, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
tenn

eh carol ...... like Kahn said to the group of NASA scientists ....If you can imagine what it will look like, then that is what it will not look like. for if you can imagine it now, it is of this time and not of the future.

Aug 15, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

As I said belive me, I acturly lived in a real houseboat acturly several, for past 30 years, I know the troubles.

Aug 15, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Now that don't mean that I don't belive in float bridges ; they are smart replacing the need for all the expensive steel to hold it in the air, by a cheap ships hull carrying a road deck with protective sides , made extreemly stable by both form properties and automated stability system, You can emagine huge boat shaped barges that assemble in a line to form a floating bridge, even automated by satelite guidance,
Float bridges can be build for a fraction of what a tradisional bridge cost, be flexible as an assembled bridge moved to where best placed , each module as a seperate stable motorised barge that serve many porpus now please don't emagine it as a road deck and a number of floatation tanks, that will kill the vision and just be a clumpsy solution .

Aug 15, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
tenn

yeah PC, we have all seen the history channel with the military's floating bridges .... what is your point?

Aug 15, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Louisianna has "float" bridges, theyre made with 50g drums. Thats OLD technology.

Aug 15, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

You simply have not read what I say --- the milltary float bridges is exactly what I warn about ; clumpsy design based on floatation tanks instead of a whole ships hull --- there are a hell of difference , now houseboats you will reconise , atleaset over time as a not so innovative solution but float bridges now, why make them clumpsy and useless as the millitary ones , why not as I describe, --- well I also share pictures, just remember how much cheaper than convensional bridges and emagine them as what they realy are ;

Aug 15, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Also a different aproach towerds the suggestion for floating houses, --- why not make the road float, bridges like that, acting as shallow water boat hulls, can become very handy , compared floating houses.

Aug 15, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
postal

you're over 30 yrs old?

Aug 15, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

If I remember correctly, Per is 57.

Aug 15, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Btw I do not think any ships regulations will fight cross framed ships hulls, acturly the more boxwork caused by shipbuilding idears that make a shipshull cheaper and easier to build will not meet resistance in the normal demands for structural integrity of a 3dh structure, --- it's like doubling up the strength of thradisonal shipsbuilding and adding the flexibility that was lost with geometric entities.

Aug 15, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

Waterstudio.nl

Aug 15, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Martina Lin

future floating pods?

Aug 15, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Eh --- there was a suggestion about the framework to ;

All you see is accurate down millimeter cut by today's manufactoring, it's just the way to envision a build structure that is different, see no one demanded that sections -- that be frames -- has to follow the tradisional construction planes, in fact there are great advanteages, working outside the tradisional construction planes, an example are 3dh where two planes are more than enough to develob a reliable framework, just by a press of a button.

Aug 15, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
upside

but per, your never going to get two of every animal in that, the small ones will fall through the holes

Aug 15, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

per, how is that thing going to float with so many holes in it? i think this is just fancy 3d(h) graphics.

Aug 15, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

maybe if it were cut from giant sheets of balsa wood it could float, but i doubt it.

Aug 15, 07 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

mmmmmmmmmmm..... baaaaalsaaaaaaa.....

Aug 15, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

Gosh! u guys can crap so much around that floating thing.... let me orient it this way. if the concern is about energy issues and a future social setup, is anybody gonna be still thinking obout balsa wood or anything that exists at all?

what is happening to all our nanotechnology and quantum physics? >>>>> next?

Aug 16, 07 3:35 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i think you're really downplaying the possible role of balsa wood.

Aug 16, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

You can wrap a 3dh framework cut in thick styrofoam with fibers, cover that with a resin, and you will have the strongest, cheapest box frame framework, ---- pour acetone inside the hardened shell forming a tubework you can't emagine, incapsulating strength members make it reach the sky, drain out the liquid of acetone soluted styrofoam and there even be within structure volums.

Aug 16, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

leave the water alone... what happens when you invade every element on earth. wat next??? build in air?

Aug 16, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

carola, ur killN mi w/ ur shortNd wurds.

You've got lots of great ideas, I'm just getting distracted by all the misspellings and abbreviations.

Aug 16, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

sorry! but which nationality do u belong to.... i wonder what u find so difficult to follow.... do u read only victorian english? gosh how do u survive?!

Aug 16, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

There are new science that emagine the earth's textonic plates in a fluid, this fluid as water, water interacting with various basic minerals everything seem to indicate, that if all the ice melt nothing realy will happen. maybe more earthquakes but then, then I guess we shuld start building stronger houses.

Aug 16, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i believe it may be a good idea to try to "conquor the elements" in the order of density. solid - pretty well mastered. liquid - getting there, i.e. houseboats. gas - very little has been done, though i've heard a rumor about a boutique hotel in outer space.

therefore, the exploration of materials with a density lighter than water seems like a good place to start. per's styrofoam idea seems like it's got some potential. i'm just throwing my balsa wood idea out there, knowing it's got some problems, but still a possibility.

Aug 16, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Houses will be 100% sustainable and compliant to AIA standards.

Aug 16, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

suprised this hasn't shown up in here yet

Aug 16, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
carolawinnie

imagine houses you could switch off and on like an electric appliance, dismantle and carry it around and settle it down where you want to?

Im trying to point out how the idea of demolishing buildings could become a long forgotten thing.

these could be light- weight so that the roof doesnt break your skull during an earthquake.

Aug 16, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Now if the water will not raise it still become a major issue, that water will occupy more of the energy transforming ,then it could be interesting, what is acturly inside the earth, maybe it is what can ensure we get into the space, maybe just the science encountered will provide enough technikes, --- but not as long as we think that inside the earth, there are not one but two iron cores , Earthquakes can just aswell be the earth expanding, due to matter created round the perimeter, of the in earth encapsulated plasma bubble. 3dh is perfect for space structures, but that's another angle, as there the nano proberly are more proven to build the frameworks in space one function robots shuld be the only nessery, to prepare some place to live on a distant planet , maybe not for long, then long enough to earn a mountain of money.

Aug 16, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Just everyone understand ; the earth expand, that create earthquakes, the ice melt but the earth become bigger --- now would the waters raise in that situation?
The craks between the textonic plates, don't they rather indicate that the earth are acturly expanding, who on earth speculated that there was two types of craks between textonic plates M those we can reconise as that in the middle of the atlantic, and then those we can't see, those boldly lifting the mountains as an enormous pover while the plates move nonsense, the hydrolics can move mountains not motions that in themself indicate exactly creation of matter , what else shuld force the textonic plates to move anyhow ????

Aug 16, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Doug Johnston

There are several very interesting speculations about future housing and buildings in the book "5 Regions of the Future". Aerogel (an artcile was posted in the news recently) is an extremely efficient insulator; carbon fiber frames with integrated windows could be "grown" out of algae ponds (related article), and the systems could conduct electricity, collect solar energy, and even act as information processors.
Another section of the book discusses the possibility of mining materials from asteroids for building megastructures on earth and in space. very sci-fi.
Also, I think the Fab Tree Hab fits into this dicussion (co-designed by Javier)

All of this seems way beyond 2030 I guess, probably much further into the future. If you look at where we were in 1977 compared with now in 2007 in terms of building technologies, things have only slightly changed. Most houses in the US are built using stick frame construction, in europe and japan they're using concrete and brick, and many other parts of the world its a concrete frame with clay block infill. This will probably continue as long as wood, clay, and rock/cement/water are abundant resources. The market and public perception have to totally change to see a real shift.

as for floating houses, its not a new technology, but at LSU there some students and professors testing applications for hurricane/flood-prone areas such as New Orleans. read here

For more immediately available technologies, read the World Changing book. Its full of great examples of systems, products, and ideas that can and will be incorporated into future housing - materially, structurally, socially, ecologically, and technologically.

also, we are very close to being able to print houses.

I would love to see urban vertical farming become a reality in the near future. (more and more)

Aug 19, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: