Archinect
anchor

Summer of 2007 - moving map?

WonderK

So I've been thinking about all the moving that everyone is doing this summer, and I thought it would be fun to see all the different paths around the country - or world - that everyone is taking. Plus I'm kind of obsessed with maps, so I thought I'd like to make a map of "the great archinect move about", maybe even see if any of our lines crossed.

(this is sort of in the same vein as tumbles' origin map, but this has lines instead of points)

Anyway, I don't think it worked. I created a map on Google, named it, and drew my own moving path, but I don't think that any of you will be able to add to this. Unless someone has another suggestion? Something involving Google Earth? Surely this is possible somehow. I dunno, check it out, see if you can make a line on the map....

"The Great Archinect Move About"

Jun 26, 07 11:47 am
WonderK

Essentially this is like an *attempt* at a thread. Ha, I'm lame.

Jun 26, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Cool idea, but I can't figure out how to add my own line. For what it's worth, I'm moving from Chicago to NYC, and I'll be taking I-80 pretty much the entire way.

Jun 26, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 
KEG

WonderK- that's a great idea...it wouldn't let me add tho :(

btw, i am incredibly jealous of your path!! This is going to be an amazing trip you'll never forget! I decided to fly and am disappointed I wont get to do the drive, but it was just the most cost effective method for me.

I hope you have a wonderful time- how long are you allowing for the drive?

Jun 26, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 

WonderK, I noticed this note on the lefthand side:

"A map to show the various trajectories of archinectors throughout the country in the summer of 2007.
View only - Public"

When you access it and can change your route and such, does it say anything about the 'view only-public' status? Maybe if you find that you'll figure out how to let us all contribute.

Jun 26, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Rar.

Ok, so I know that there's a way to do it because you can do all sorts of stuff with multi-user input on Google maps, I have seen some of it on the following site:

http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/

However, I am now wondering if this type of code activity isn't beyond my skill level. The only other thing that I can figure is to create a new Google user ID, create the map that way, and then share the ID and password info with all of you. Shall I try that?

Jun 26, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

PS. The only options re: "View Only - Public" are to make it either A) Public, or B)Unlisted, like a telephone number. Neither option makes it interactive. Bummer.

Jun 26, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
grid

Dodger's fan, eh?

Jun 26, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i'm not moving anywheres. can i still play?

Jun 26, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Sure you can still play, if you can figure out how!

Not a Dodger's fan. Reds fan. And the Angels. But not the Dodgers.

Jun 26, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK

apparently you are moving to the on ramp to the 110N in Elysian Park...that is a nice area. A little loud at times, but there are some nice tents and empty 40oz's in that area

Jun 26, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

dubK - according to that trajectory, you live in a cemetery?!? that's awesome!

my respect for you just notched up even further.

Jun 26, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

So it's a little inaccurate. I was just messing around with the line tool. You'll probably notice I'm going on a straight line through the desert too, which is physically impossible, unless I invest in that jet pack.....alas, WonderKitty would have none of it.

Jun 26, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

well...a superhero's gotta live somewhere.

Jun 26, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok, let's try this again:

The Great Archinect Move About - 2007 Redux

I actually created a brand new Google account so we could all log in and add our various moving routes.

~~~~~
user name: wonderk371 (because I made it and didn't want to have the user name "archinect" w/o permission)

password: archinect (except it's OK as a password)
~~~~~

Please be courteous and generally not an idiot if you would like to use this map.

Jun 26, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

PS. I fixed my "line" so I don't live in the cemetery anymore.

Jun 26, 07 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Done!

Jun 26, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

ok, I've logged in and can edit *your* path, but can't figure out how to add my own path!

Jun 26, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

WK...are there 370 other WK's?

Jun 26, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

hey wk! : you're comin' thru louisville?

Jun 26, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

No, I just like the number 371.

rational, there's a line tool up at the top.

Jun 26, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am coming through Louisville, Steven. Lunch?

Jun 26, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

yes, indeedy. email me with a date & approximate time.

Jun 26, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I just looked at the map again! Many new lines! This is awesome!

Jun 26, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

hmm, now WonderK's line and my line look like one long trip. I think the map's trying to tell you that you're MEANT to ride to Seattle with me, DubK.

Jun 26, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK's big adventure made me think of this...

Jun 26, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i just added my house on the map...I have a couch if anyone needs a place to crash. I think that we should all put our locations on the map

Jun 26, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You want to link the map to that other thread about "where people are"? I can't remember the name of it but I know tumbles started it.

mdler that's really nice.... but I don't know that your couch is really "on the way" to anywhere. I will keep it in mind if we crap out 10 miles before we hit my apartment though, LOL.

rational, I can't promise anything! But it could happen...

PS. Who's living in the Gulf of Alaska, or is that a goof up?

Jun 26, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK

you can stop by and see my flowers

Jun 26, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

WK- you get the "smartest person ever" of the day award.

I love this thread!

Jun 26, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
w3

just added my trip to Seattle from colorado. looking forward to meeting you rationalist!

Jun 26, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
aml

super cool... hope vacations are ok [not moving, just traveling]. i added mine.

Jun 26, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

w3- when are you headed up? ooh, that reminds me, I'll go back and put dates on mine in the description.

Jun 26, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
w3

rationalist - I don't have any "official" dates yet. However, I don't think I'll actually be in Seattle until the first week in Sept. sometime. But - on a side note - it looks like I may have found a place in the U-dist. Fingers crossed it works out!

Jun 26, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks, W2D!

I felt lame - again - because my line was the only one not based in reality, so I changed it.

aml, I like seeing your big "triangular" vacation on there :o)

Jun 26, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Just added my trip from Denver to Syracuse

Jun 26, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

WK is going through Dallas - I miss the lone star

Jun 26, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
aml

cool wk, i actually have to change planes in miami and dallas, but that would have messed that nice triangle up so i decided to include final destinations only.

Jun 26, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

geez, i just tried to add my map, and i thought i deleted the whole damn thing. now i'm too freaked out to mess with it anymore.

anyone coming to dallas has to come by my house, cuz i'm here for the summer and i don't know anyone. anyone.

Jun 26, 07 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

The funny thing about that map is that when you're logged in, you have to take care not to accidentally grab somebody's line and move a point on it (ahem, like I did to AP's line yesterday....don't worry, I moved it back!).

Good to see some activity in Australia!

Here's the link again for those of you who don't feel like scouring through the thread to figure out what's going on.

Jun 27, 07 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Cool thread

I added my summer trip on there as well. Is it just me or was it extremely slow for everyone? If it wasn't for that, this is extremely useful and cool.

Jun 27, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I put my starting and end points accurately, but not my driving route. I have no idea. I'm not driving, so I'd might as well be flying through river and structure!

Jun 27, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Also I have the shortest journey ever. It looks so lame and wormy next to the others.

Jun 27, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

namby- it's so short, you should just ship your belongings and trek up on your Afribike!

Jun 27, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if we move someone else's line, does that mean that they have to follow that route?

Jun 27, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 

no.

Upside- I'm terribly curious as to why you have to leave Perth. Please share?

Jun 27, 07 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

This user name business is pretty funny. I got an email before from "our" new Google account (yes, I know which one of you it was). It was weird since it's my own screen name.

Jun 27, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

kdoll-where in Dallas are you? What school do you attend?

Jun 27, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

Also-my journey is so shbort this year it wasn't worth putting on the map-Dallas to Austin in August! Yeah! Anyone else scared to death about starting school?

Jun 27, 07 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
upside

nothing sinister rationalist, i grew up in sydney, love the place and have a few really good friends there, and the firm i work for lured me over with the promise of doing a fair bit more design work than im doing now, running a few projects/competitions and more money. so it sounded like a no-brainer really.

plus i could use the excitement, perth is one of those places you leave in your 20's and come back to in 5/10 years when you feel able or experienced enough to tackle the stratified, conservative construction/political/social thingimajig. a city of great projects that never happened.

anyhoo, my removalists should be here in a couple of hrs so its back to packing.

Jun 27, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I commented to liberty bell earlier today, but what's really amazing about this map is we've got like, 14 people on here, and aside from the plane trips, literally only a couple of lines cross. It's quite a big country.

Jun 27, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: