Archinect
anchor

Looking for work?

MisterMister

Just wanted to see if there are any others looking for a summer internship. And for those with jobs, what was your first archtiectural job like?

May 15, 07 10:29 pm
zapagap

spaceplanning!

May 15, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i fell into an internship abroad. learned more in that one year than the previous 3 years combined. whatever you do, ask a lot of questions and make the most of it.

May 16, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
AtelierTabulaRasa

I'm still looking for a summer internship! AH!

May 16, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

lookin' for work in all the wrong places
lookin' for work in too many faces
searchin' your 'folio, lookin' for traces
of what... i'm dreamin' of...

ha ha, sorry, i saw the title of your thread post and i just couldn't resist.

but seriously. first job. small office (very small. it was just the architect, his wife/office manager, a secretary, and myself). basically i was a cad monkey, photoshopper. but it was fun @ times.

good luck out there!

May 16, 07 10:34 am  · 
 · 
simples

a smaller office would give you better experience. A larger office could treat you as a runner.

also, watch as much as you can...find someone who is helpful and ask them questions...try to learn as much as possible about the profession, and restraints involved in the work that you will do...

May 16, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

yes, listen to simples. he/she knows.

May 16, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

you gotta start somewhere - and when you're starting from zero anything is better then nothing.

May 16, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
AChen

I'm looking to switch into a more architecture-related job since I'm applying to architecture school in the fall but don't have a background in it, any advice on what kind of jobs to look for to gain exposure?

May 18, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Be careful about hitting on the secretary/receptionist/office manager when interviewing, it might be your potential employeers spouse. I did see this happen in an office once. However the guy had been hired and so all of us cad monkeys sat in the other room listing to the conversation. The bosses wife took him right down the trail....and he was out of the office a month later.

May 18, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: