Archinect
anchor

finder's fee

big papi

hello all. i was wondering if finders fees are common practice within the profession. i recommended a friend's firm for a fairly large job (around 100k in design fees), the firm interviewed and has since gotten the job. the firm was very appreciative and in general i did it because i thought the firm does good work and would be a good match as well as for general karma's sake, but when i told this to an associate they asked if i was given any type of fee by the firm for getting them the job. is this a common practice? should i ask them for something after the fact or is too late and if so how much? any info regarding this matter would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.

May 10, 07 3:26 am
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah it's common, but it's more common that they stiff you. if at the very least they don't have you on the design team then you know how they feel about you. next time though i'd work out those particulars prior to bringing in the work that way you can evaluate whether or not it's worth the effort.

May 10, 07 3:34 am  · 
 · 

your finder's fee will probably be a fruit basket at xmas time...

enjoy...

May 10, 07 8:46 am  · 
 · 
big papi

i should be so lucky....

May 10, 07 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

$5K

May 10, 07 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its got kiwis!

May 10, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'd say the karmic payoff is what you were after in the first place, no? And that is a wonderful thing to do. I count on my AIA connections - architects who specialize in health care, university work, airports, etc - to send me referrals for the tiny custom residential work that I do. When those jobs come through, a thank-you phone call (and yes maybe a basket of fruit or bottle of wine) is appropriate.

Referrals and networking is how this business operates. If you can honestly say "I got them the job" that is a serious level of involvement that should be worked out as a business transaction beforehand. But I'm guessing you referred them and they got the job themselves via submitting work samples, attending an interview, highlighting their appropriatenesses for the job, etc.

It's a good thing to do. Karma pays back.

May 10, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

if i'm an employee at a firm and bring clients in to my boss, should i be compensated for bringing the firm work?

May 10, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

as an employee for sure...partners in the practice typically would if they brought in the work...so you should be compensated appropriately

May 11, 07 1:22 am  · 
 · 
mdler

you were lost when I found you - walkmen

May 11, 07 2:24 am  · 
 · 

impalajunkie - you are compensated in that you stay on as part of the team. the firm doesn't get new work = no job for impalajunkie.

if you're in a corporate environment where things are more about a short-term action/reward dynamic, you might expect that the day to day victories could result in some recognition/compensation.

but if it's a small firm, it's just part of what you do in taking your place on a team trying to keep the place running. you bringing in work will be recognized by the owner(s) and will pay you back later in some form. thinking you get $$$ for clients is mercenary, bordering on the less-than-professional. well, ok, maybe not unprofessional. but tacky at least.

May 11, 07 7:44 am  · 
 · 
antipod

Vado, I just wanna make this very clear. A 'Kiwi' is a small flightless bird. A 'kiwi' is a person from New Zealand. 'Kiwifruit' is what you see in that bowl.

Having kiwis in a gift basket in the US means someone has been dealing in endangered species!

Sorry to be anal. It just bugs me is all. I'm sure agfa will back me up....

As you were...:)

May 11, 07 8:44 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Most larger firms will give a "finders fee" or referral bonus for finding them qualified employees. At least in a tight job market. You just usually have to already work for said firm.

May 11, 07 9:04 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

kiwifruit = chinese gooseberry is a vine that grows in most of the 48 states, not just new zealand.

an employee who consistantly brings work to a firm should be recognized and compensated for those connections and commissions. like being made a principal or some other profit sharing slice... if you only bring in one project and the well then runs dry, you should just expect a nicer then normal bonus at the end of the year.

May 11, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
antipod

You are indeed correct treekiller. I think ENZA in NZ were trying to trademark the name 'Zestpri' for a while. Don't think it really caught on. Sounds like a new Toyota....

PS they go great on pavlova no matter what they're called or where they're grown...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pavlova

May 11, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: