Archinect
anchor

archinectors' (safety) footwear

bowling_ball

Apparently I have to wear steel-toed footwear at all times when I'm in studio. I haven't bought a pair of safety boots or shoes in nearly a decade. What's everyone wearing? Any footwear you've especially liked or disliked? I wanna know. I know how important it is that these things are comfortable, as I'm going to be spending countless hours wearing them.

If you got pics, even better. I know how you like to show off your footwear.

May 6, 07 8:34 pm
mdler

i built a house in flip-flops

May 6, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm with mdler.

did a rammed earth studio, wearing mostly flip flops except when we were using the pneumatic tamper and busted out the steel toe'd boots.

of course, flip flops were a definite no-no in the shop. could wear whatever we wanted in studio, though.

May 6, 07 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK guys, I love you, but flip flops on a construction site are stupid.

But IMO steel toe shoes are also stupid, because if something really heavy falls on your foot it will break your toes, but if it falls on your steel toe boot it will crush the steel toe like a taco and trap your (now broken) toes inside. A much more difficult trip to the emergency room ensues.

I've posted almost exactly this comment before....aaah, here it is, and I think there might be a pic of Brad Pitt there to "boot".

slantsix, who exactly is requiring steel toe boots? What studio is this?

May 6, 07 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

slantsix,

A recent corporate project that I work on (CD's, then full CA on site) was self-insured by the corporation. The insurance co. specifically required that NO ONE was to wear steel toed boots on the job. Reasoning was and their research showed that, as LB points out, a heavy impact onto boots with steel toes is likely to CUT OFF your toes. A heavy impact on boots without steel toes would only likely result in broken bones, but you'd get to keep your toes.

BTW, flip flops and welding on the job site don't mix.

May 6, 07 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I've heard these rumors before as well, but never seen any proof. Not saying it doesn't exist, but it's usually used as justification for just not wanting to wear them.

If something falls on your toes that's heavy enough to crush a steel or grade-1 composite shell, your toes are fucked anyway, and possibly worse. There are specific boots that address this issue somewhat, called metatarsal boots.

Anyway, I'm required to wear them at my school in the studio (I assume they mean the various modelling and construction shops). The school is university of Manitoba. Part of their major studio is a program/place called CAST, to explore structural concrete applications, from what I understand. I don't start until September.

And btw - I don't know if I'd trust an insurance company. Think about it - they'd have to pay out more money if your toes were crushed, rather than simply removed altogether. Once all healed from a relatively clean removal, life goes on. Not so when all the bones are crushed, too. I know quite a few people with missing toes, none from wearing steel-toed boots.

May 6, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I guess the question is has school admin flat-out said "steel toes are required" or something like "safety equipment including appropriate footwear is required"?

The chances of something crushing your foot in any case aren't that big, I'd be much more concerned daily with wearing eye protection (always!) and a respirator - not! a "dust mask" - when using chemicals and welding.

Apparently this book is great: Artist's Complete Health and Safety Guide.

My dad has always complained that his steel-toe boots (for foundry work) are just heavy so he only wears them when absolutely required - that other thread lists several good brands of work boots, I also second Danners.

May 6, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

slantsix, I don't want to offend you as I don't know your history of working in shops, you may have been making stuff in them since you were a kid. But if not, there is some good info in this previous school blog discussion about shop safety.

May 6, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I don't want to turn this into an argument about whether steel toes are good or bad. I am required to use them, OSHA recommends them, and I can't find a single instance of steel toe caps contributing to injury, other than in a diabetic ulceration (the man lost his case anyway).

When you're on the job site and required to wear safety shoes, what do you wear?

May 6, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

liberty bell, thanks for the links!!

(I didn't mean to be snarky in that last post - I spent the better part of an hour trying to dig up information, only to come up empty-handed. My apologies.)

And yeah, I've been working in metal shops, on farms, and doing construction work off and on for much of my life. It's just been a long time since I've bought a pair of boots, and thought that maybe there's some great new footwear I wasn't aware of.

Oh, and yes, steel-toed boots are REQUIRED for entry into studio. I thought it was weird, too. But what can ya do?

May 6, 07 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No, I don't want that argument either - just pointing out that if the steel toes are not actually required, there are plenty of comfort issues - weight, temperature, squat position - against them, but if they ARE required, you have no choice.

If they are not actually required, you may find that a solid work boot is sufficient: Danner, Carolinas, Redwings I think all make both steel toe and regular toe versions.

Ultimately it is your comfort level and I have a personal psychological squeamishness with the steel toe thing. But if I had an OSHA requirement for them of course I would follow it.

I've never worked on a job that required any type of footwear, but my best-ever work boots were Carolina logging boots. Thick lugs and super comfortable and I wore them for at least five years.

May 7, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sorry, we cross-posted.

May 7, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 

I have me a pair of Timberlands (uk version + code compliant actually)

anyhow they weight 7.5lbs each. Doesn't seem too helpful if running from a collapsing building

the shoes are dangerous though as they are slowly rubbing off my skin

I only wear them on site...not for the steel tip, but instead for the steel bottoms

most injuries on a building site regarding feet result from simple things like twisted ankles, or walking on stakes...

May 7, 07 1:25 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Damn! 7.5lbs for a boot!?! That doesn't seem safe at all! Not to mention, uncomfortable. Wow.

I like the Redwing company, though I haven't found any boots they make that I would wear. I've only heard glowing reviews about them. I'm going to check out those other companies today.

I used to be all about the footwear. I'm a little out of the loop!

May 7, 07 8:24 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Are there any companies that make a more extensive selection of women's work footwear, or unisex footwear that runs in smaller sizes? Most "unisex" boots I found only go down to a men's 7, which is about a women's size 9, so they are only unisex for women with larger feet.

May 7, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

I personally have a high opinion of steel-toed boots. During my time as a construction worker, I can definitely remember specific instances in which my toes/foot would have been removed without my boots. Once to a point that you could see the exposed steel in the shoe by a high-powered saw. So regardless of its clunky feel and looks, it is still very helpful. Besides, I think Timberlands look great.

May 7, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I ended up buying these:
http://workingperson.com/products/22_23_32/1/4603/Terra_609037_Mens_Brown_Armada_Steel_Toe__Low_Top_Work__Shoe.html?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=comp
in brown cracked leather, as in the link. They look better in person. Very comfy!

My g/f was also buying boots and she ended up with these:
http://workingperson.com/products/22_48_52/1/4602/Terra_Shoes:_Womens_Steel_Toe_Puncture_Safety_Work_Shoes_608025.html

They're a little heavier than my regular shoes, but otherwise you probably wouldn't know that they were safety shoes (with steel shank as well). It took three stores and driving across the entire city, but there's no compromising on comfort when you're wearing these things for hours on end.

May 7, 07 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: