Archinect
anchor

construction boots

levasser

I finally have to buy some. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for?

Jun 8, 05 5:22 pm

I personally love my steel-toed Doc Martens. I can wear them on site and not have to worry about loosing a toe, and they're slick enough to wear in the office any day, even for meetings.

Jun 8, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

don't let anyone suggest concrete.

Jun 8, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

Doc martins suck. they fall apart, more of a trend than anything. I went to wal-mart when I was 18, bought a 40$ pair of boots, and i still have em.
If you can avoid steel-toes, its probably the best.

Jun 8, 05 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

Doc martins suck. they fall apart, more of a trend than anything. I went to wal-mart when I was 18, bought a 40$ pair of boots, and i still have em.
If you can avoid steel-toes, its probably the best.

Jun 8, 05 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My husband swears by Carolinas, and wears them hard - they seem to serve him well.

I have a phobia of steel toe boots for myself, because I've heard stories of heavy objects falling on them and crushing the steel down onto your toes, not only breaking them (as also would have happened in regular boots) but also trapping them in a little steel taco that has to be cut off with a grinder. Yikes! Don't adopt this phobia, Steven, I'm sure your toes will be fine.

At the risk of highjacking this thread, may I suggest you get some boots like these:

They look real nice.

Jun 8, 05 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oops, sorry, Pixelwhore, I meant YOUR toes will be fine in your steel toed boots. Got confused.

Jun 8, 05 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

I've had my Docs for going on 8 years and they're holding up perfectly fine. Had to get steel toes for when I was doing metal shop work my senior year of high school.

Liberty: I've thought about the whole steel-taco thing, but never really worried about it. And <ahem> of course you're admiring the boots. I wonder what kind of boots intern Pitt will wear out on the job site...

Jun 8, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Strangely, I AM afraid of my toes being trapped in a steel taco.

I had some cheap low-rise boots from Anchor Blue that I liked very much. Looked okay with a dress shirt and tie and mud sponged off pretty well. I always steer toward the ankle height > more comfortable and versatile than the higher ones. (I feel pretty strait-jacketed when wearing BOTH a tie and high boots to job site meetings, since I prefer to live my life in flip flops, shorts and a linen open collar.)

Jun 8, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
ether

liberty. you are shameless...

Jun 8, 05 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
truth

redwings, no question. get them fitted to you properly and the'll last a lifetime. and get the steel toes, just in case you need to kick someone, hard.

Jun 8, 05 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I'll second the Redwings and add Danner's. My wildland firefighting boots are Danners, and I have some Redwings from when I was a mason. After going through countless pairs of 'disposable' $40 WalMart boots, it was nice to have something actually comfortable. Just keep 'em WELL oiled, they'll last longer than you will.

i'm also in the 'fear the steel taco' camp, there are boots available w/ a high impact plastic toe cup that will eventually crack before bending. If it is cold where you are, steel toes present a whole other problem w/ heat transmission.

In the winter I like the LaCrosse Epic for everyday use, and the formidable LaCrosse Ice King for survival-class cold weather.

Whatever you do, don't keep them TOO clean...

Jun 8, 05 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

redwings are the best

Jun 8, 05 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
form64

redwings are great. the steel toes can be a pain if you squat down fully a lot. they tended to bump into the top of my foot on the redwing steel toes i had.

if you are going to be on dirt job sites, heavy lugged tread will pick up wet muck and gets everywhere later.

just say no to tan timberlands. for gansta wannabes, not builders.

Jun 8, 05 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

aye, redwings are the top of the market--but keep in mind, steel toed boots make your toes really cold in the winter

Jun 8, 05 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

gucci timberlands with platinum lace eyelets

Jun 8, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

I've owned nothing but Chippewa. 6" high, vibram lug sole. Brown, not black or red. no steel toes.

Jun 9, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
mm

doesn't Prada make a work boot? What does Rem wear on job sites?

Jun 9, 05 11:38 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

The standard UK classic

Tan leather rigger boots with warm fur lining, steel midsole and 200J steel toecap. Lightweight and flexible, anti-static polyurethane sole with shock absorbent heel. EN 345-1.

Jun 9, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i have to recommend anything by wolverine worldwide

Jun 9, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: