Archinect
anchor

san francisco mini-vacay for me!

stephanie

dudes!
this board looks totally different now, and i can't believe that i seemingly only come here to post for vacation help. (edit: maybe it isn't that different, but, still, sort of....)
SAD! (on my part!)

anyway...here goes...
i'm looking for suggestions for good VEGAN restaurants, bookstores besides wild billy stout's, dirty/awesome bars, sweet places to get an afternoon drink, and, um, other top notch suggestions for people who have been to SF before, are relatively familiar with the lay of the land, and will have rental car for 1 day.

i checked out the other threads, and some reason didn't feel like they were much help.

here is what is on my agenda so far:
de Young museum,
SFMOMA,
sea and cake concert
bjork concert

will be in town 05.17-20

May 3, 07 9:23 pm
WonderK

stephanie! there were some shenanigans on the forum which prompted a little bit of "rearranging" of the threads. The essence is still there, which is the most important thing...

San Fran is so gorgeous. Is this your first time there? I would suggest checking out a couple of cathedrals for architecture, namely Grace Cathedral, which is traditional and the 3rd largest Episcopalian cathedral in the world, I believe....also St. Mary's, which is the Catholic cathedral and is a beautiful modern structure.

For culture, visit Union Square and/or Ghiradelli Square, and use a cable car to get to one or both.

When do you leave on Sunday? Golden Gate park is great to stroll through on Sunday afternoons. Lots of rollerblade dancing.

When you have your rental car, I would suggest driving across the Golden Gate bridge, and take the first exit on the other side....this will lead you to a park with spectacular views of the bridge and the city.

Those are all I can think of right now.

May 3, 07 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

If you'll be with people, go to the Exploratorium. Maybe have a drink or two first. But I imagine it's not half as fun without someone to laugh with, so maybe not if you're alone.

Good to 'see' you! Now if only Strawbeary would pop in, I'd feel like things were getting back to normal around here.

May 3, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah where is she anyway.....I think she's lurking. I can see you girls on MySpace at least! :o)

May 3, 07 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

rollerblade dancing oh my! i hope to catch some of that on the way to the de Young!

no, WK it is not my first time, but thaks for reminding me about grace cathedral, i love that place...is st. mary's the one that looks a little like a space ship? i remember being in there and being reminded of the chapel at the Air Force Academy...anyway...thanks for the suggestions!

and rationalist! exploratorium is something that i have never made my way to, but drunk with my best buddy sounds awesome!

you ladies rock!

<3

May 4, 07 10:05 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yes, St. Mary's looks a little bit like a space ship and the stained glass is definitely reminiscent of the Air Force chapel. I think that if I lived near Grace or St. Mary's, I might actually not mind going to church once in a while. Alas!

Ironically I did some work for the Exploratorium at my old firm but I don't think it ever made it to built form. It's pretty cool anyway!

May 4, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, it's one of those hand-on type science places, so it's fun when you've got someone to try all of the contraptions with you and laugh at how silly you look. I haven't tried it this way, but I imagine a light buzz would only make it more fun.

May 4, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

you'll take one

May 4, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Clairito

This isn't wildly original, but I've always been a fan of city lights books in north beach followed by a cappuccino.

May 4, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

A really good vegan restaurant is Herbivore at 983 Valencia at 21st. I'm visiting SF myself right now and tried to eat there last night, but they were closing at 9:15! That's when people in NY start showing up at restaurants. Anyway, the food's been great when I've eaten there before. Really good chocolate cake.

Absolutely DO NOT miss the deYoung. Be sure to go up the tower. Also, Renzo Piano's new science building is being built directly across from it, so the construction progress might be interesting.

May 4, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
knock

I'll throw in the dive bar section, being a denzien myself; these are my favorites:

-mission district:
killowatt
amnesia
the attic
cassanova (bit crowded a times)

-haight district:
noc noc
toronado (best beer in town)
alembic (great beer, and food)

-gulch/tendernob district:
hemlock (small room in back to catch some good bands too)
edinborough castle (great english-style pub)
owl tree (tiny place, good cocktails, and full of nothing but owl decor)

afternoon drink (on the waters edge)
-pier 23
-the ramp (a bit difficult to reach but well worth it)
-get on a ferry to tiburon or sausilito.
-picnic action: take highway 1 south and hit a beach , I like montara or pescadaro; or 101 north to stinson or take a hike through tennesse valley to the beach there.

don't know how much great stuff is a the moma right now, (certainly not appealing to me) but some of the permanent stuff is good. The YBCA has a great Crumb Exhibit though, right across the street, and the gardens there are great on a nice warm day.

i can add a whole list of restaurants, not necc. vegetarian, but that each will have veg. plates, this is SF afterall.

May 4, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

hooray for the herbivore suggestion! it seems to be right down the street from aquarius records, my favorite on-line record store that i am happy to be able to browse through IRL!

and awesome on the libation lists! thanks knock! i agree that the MOMA looks not so hot, but my travel buddy wants to go i think. but the crumb sounds cool, so that is definitely good to know!

the reason i ask for specifically vegan restaurants is only because i come from a town where they do not exist. but yes, good, cheaper, fairly healthy suggestions are welcome!

May 4, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
pourstone

There's a chinese vegan restaurant on Clement St. in the inner richmond district that boasts a menu akin to what buddhist monks are served in the monastery. Aside from that, is the aforementioned herbivore on the cool, hip, and dirty Valencia district in The Mission. Also, check out the bars on Polk st., such as Hemlock and Blur.. (cross st. is sutter.. or somewhere thereabouts..) Haight Ashbury, the Castro, and Hayes Valley are worthwhile districts to check out as well. Oh, then there's Thom Mayne's fed building down in SoMa...

May 4, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

I forgot! There's also Millenium, another vegan restaurant, but I understand it's substantially more expensive. It's located at 580 Geary.

May 4, 07 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
knock

sorry, i missed the VEGAN portion, i read as vegetarian for some reason. I have few suggestions in this area, although i've heard of someplace down near fort. mason that is supposed to be great - oh, its called greens - advertised as vegetarian so i'm guessing they have some vegan on their menu, but quite pricy.

there's also lucky creation in chinatown; this place is a total dive, but dirt cheap and very good! I love meat, yet still love this place.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/5Mqsd52IEJtV9dUJAhcTlQ

i've also been to this place in the tenderloin that has great mock-meats, if you're into this at all; think it is called Mekong.

May 4, 07 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
morfo

You may want to check out the morphosis federal building as well. from the outside. for VEGAN restaurants, there are Green's at Ford Mason with nice view and famous for brunch on sunday only. Also there is Medicine which is a japanese fusion restaurant in downtown. you could check them out on internet.

have fun!

May 6, 07 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

in terms of vegan i think herbivore is pretty standard, good - but average, like chain store/restaurant or something.
i'm not a vegan myself but there is a little restaurant called Cafe Gratitude: http://www.withthecurrent.com/contact.html that is authentic.
keep in mind they are pretty hippie dippie in there, but pleasant, and the food is i think unique and excellent.

May 7, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

I forgot about Green's - you gotta go!

May 7, 07 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
JOM

Ill actually be visiting San Francisco at the same exact time! Never been before so I'm pretty excited.
Perhaps Ill run into you at one of the Dive bars Knock suggested.

May 7, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Is Greens vegan? The cookbook isn't.

May 7, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

here' a few more dives/bars to consider, because we got lots of 'em...

haight -
magnolia pub
the page bar (i like this one alot - cool lower level pool tables too)

mission -
zeitgeist (the place to be for hipsters and those who love them...great place)
Gestalt - For beers, bikes, brats, and those who love them

downtown/embarcadero -
Hi Dive (just below the bay bridge on the embarcadero)
Harry Denton's Starlight Lounge - On top of one of the Union Square Hotels - name escapes me at the moment.

Also check out the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. On Tue/Thur/Sat i think. The ferry plaza itself is also pretty cool.

Go to north beach and get some focaccia at Liguria's Bakery at the corner of Filbert and Stockton. Sit in park. Eat. Be educated about the fineries of SF livin'.

I would also suggest renting bikes in the Marina and riding across Crissy Field and up to the Golden Gate Bridge. If you're feeling adsventurous, ride across and down into Sausalito. Take ferry back to SF. Drink Tequila on ferry while looking at Alcatraz. Be reminded of what's great in the world.

Also near the de Young is the Strybing Arboretum which is totally dope and also the conservatory of flowers. Also quite dope.

Speaking of dope...Find someone with a Dispensary Card and smoke the only legal grass in all the land. (if you're so inlcined...)

Weather here is superb right now...don't know how long it will last.

Bring a sweater.

May 7, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

can you really just find someone with a special card and get decent legal weed? i can't say the thought hadn't crossed my mind...

May 7, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

great wheather didn't last -- its freezing cold now...

aparently you can buy that "special card" to get "legal" weed for like $90 at various "clinics"...

May 11, 07 2:29 am  · 
 · 
bothands

...also Green Apple Books for used books is a classic, on Clement street (some great Dim Sum around there too, at Tong Kiang a block away on Geary)

May 11, 07 2:36 am  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

yes you can get that card for the legal greens - if your in the city tonite and you enjjoy some classic rock and roll music - "Bustle In Your Hedgerow" (Led Zepplin cover band) @ the Independent...should be a blast
-if you goto Coit tower and get to the top theres an excelent view of the city and the bay area

May 11, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

RE: ZEITGEIST
anyone have a handle/opinion on their $30 rooms? it sounds really appealing and extremely divey to get into town late-ish thursday and crash at a pub.

May 14, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

don't know anything about "rooms" at zeitgeist. but i do concur, divey and appealing to crash at a pub. i didn't even know you could. can you? wierd. i can't see as how i would want to though.

i can't believe none of us mentioned this earlier...but sunday is bay to breakers.

know anything about it?

if not, the nutshell is that it's the craziest 12K race in the country. and not because of SF's mighty hills...but because many people run naked, or in full pirate garb, or dressed up as the muppet twins who sing manah-manah...while still others "race" whilst pushing shopping carts filled with beer kegs...

and still others don't race at all, but they build big-ass floats with full bars on them that they push across town.

needless to say - it's a hilarious and completely over-the-top only-in-san-francisco type event. not to be missed.

if you have time on sunday morning, you should at least check out the starting line down near the embarcadero.

my folks happen to be in town this weekend, otherwise i'd be up for an archinect gathering...

and yeah, you can get one of those special cards but i believe you need to be a resident, and there may be a waiting period. you'd probably have better luck meeting someone with one...you know, if that's your bag.

May 15, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
knock

second on coit tower, conservatory is a true gem, green apple is the best bookstore in the city, although a bit out of the heart of the city.

I'd stay away from the zeitgeist rooms. Yes, you can; but I don't know how "divey" you're into. If you had one that faced the street and not the patio/freeway, it may not be too bad, but I'm suspect of the whole thing. I'd say take a gander while the light is out from the patio before making a decision like that. And make sure you have your own bathroom, unless that's no biggie.

Hit the zeitgiest patio, you'll find plenty of the "dispensary card"'s delights just floating around.

weather is incredibly awful right now - which means it may just be perfect by the time you arrive.

I'd be up for a possible archinect bar-gather on saturday - going out for happy hour on friday to celebrate my arch. licensure, and have to get up early saturday to judge some beer across the bay, but should be back in the city by dusk.

May 16, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
poncedeleonel

what a timely thread.... ...I'm going to be in SF from Saturday night until The afternoon of the 23d. But I'll be staying in Berkeley with a friend. I've noticed that public transportation would be an issue for me were I to try and go out on my own (w/o a car), esp. at night. Also, what would you recommend around Berkeley?

May 16, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i just wanted to say thanks y'all. i'm excited for my vegetarian and vegan eating prospects, and feel as though there are too many dive bars to pick from. (though i'm sure we'll manage somehow.) all the advice was great though!
rock on!
<3 SC

May 17, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

steph enjoy your JoUrNeY!

May 17, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

thanks vado! man....i love journey.

May 17, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

dude - i love steve perry's vest in that clip. i gotta' get me one o' them.

May 17, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
pebble

magnolia pub on haight st

May 17, 07 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

hopefully not too late...

but you have to go to the world famous

house of Nan King
919 Kearny St
San Francisco, CA
94133-5106
Phone: (415) 421-1429

the best chinese food on earth!

May 17, 07 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

Good pick WTD...Nan King is good...but there's better.

Canton DimSum on Folsom
Yuet Lee's on Stockton at Pacific

Nan King gets a huge amount of tourist traffic because they're in all the guide books. and they're really good, but most locals choose elsewhere.

But neither are vegan. Sorry.

One big plus for Nan King though is it's proximity to William Stout Architectural Books which is AWESOME.

May 17, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

they were a vest band!

May 17, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

two words for you Maker's Faire - will be on from 19th/20th this weekend. A whole bunch of us will be there. Then we will be hanging out at a few parties in Berkeley.

also stop by the AFH HQ in Sausalito. as mentioned before - you can drink on the ferry here and back!

May 17, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Cameron, can I stop by the next time I'm visiting? I'm a big fan! Sorry to have missed your talk at Cranbrook.

May 17, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

cameron,
i read about the make faire in my craftzine! unfortunately i don't think there is time to fit it in. boo! a drunken ferry ride does sound right up our alley though!

May 18, 07 4:54 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

Steph. I may go to Bay to Breakers instead as a friend as a sweet apt. near the run.

ps. anyone can swing by the AFH offices (the dean of UKY is stopping by today).

May 18, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
aml

dear mightylittle or any san francisco archinecters around,

i just spent a week in the city [very nice!] and i was wondering if you have any info regarding the mixed use projects around jackson st. east of william stout arch books- just an interesting use of retail at the bottom and then a park/ common space on the 1st or 2nd floor and some apartment buildings and townhouses on top of that. wondering what the story behind those is.

[thanks by the way on the stout bookstore, i spent way too much money there]

also, lots of new construction going on around the caltrain station, lots of apartments apparently with retail at the bottom. didn't have time to look at it up close, but any comments would be appreciated.

Sep 2, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

hi aml...glad you made it to stout. that place rocks eh?

if i know what area you're talking about near jackson street and stout books, you're talking about the Levi's Plaza.

Levi's corporate offices are all there, and they're all mixed-use retail/comm/condos too. it's a great place to hang out. one of my favorite parks in the city in the evening. it doesn't get quite the transient population that most of the other parks get, and it's just a really nice space.

from what i hear, there is no less than $10B in construction currently in the works in SF. much of it centered around the caltrain station and the transbay terminal. there's a thread here for the transbay project, but it's going to be a 90 story +/- tower by either Pelli, Rogers or SOM. it's in contest right now.

there are also no less than 10-12 additional towers that have just completed, are underway, or are approved and getting ready to start construction.

it's kind of nutty how much money people are throwing at the San Abdreas fault, but hey...they seem to think that everything is engineered for the big one so...

glad you liked your trip...hit me up if you're coming back, i'll give you more suggestions...

-ml

Sep 3, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: