Archinect
anchor

new cities in china

hey all,

i'm currently doing a masterplanning project, and i am researching how new cities grow or are planned. china is the most interesting country in which this is now happening, outside of dubai, where my project is based.

can anyone give me some names of these new cities, either planned or have been constructed within the last 20 years?

thanks.

May 3, 07 9:42 am
swisscardlite

though i can't name any, i'd say that a lot of the cities existing in china now are definitely younger than 20 years old. with loosening economic regulations in the 80's, cities have sprung up all over the place...so fast that planning doesn't play the central role in the process of producing a new city.

the most interesting one that i can think of is the anting automobile international city, which kind of epitomizes china's urban state right now as a very postmodern, eclectic city filled with green terraces, "german" towns, shops selling british imports, and other foreign influences

May 3, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
MUUM79

i think its a little over 20 years old, but shenzhen, which is in the Pearl River Delta region, has exploded in population within that time period. it used to be a fishing village, now its one of the busiest ports in china with a 6million+ residents. Deng Xiaoping granted shenzhen as a Special Economic Zone with its proximity to Hong Kong and to explore the realm of capitalism.

May 3, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

oddly enough, there is an article about just this in the new WIRED magazine

May 3, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

superb, i'll scoot over and check it out.

May 3, 07 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

this article may interested you they are building new cities in south china near Hong Kong around the idea of Arcology

http://www.cityfarmer.org/frick.html#frick

May 3, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Arjun Bhat

the PRD -- shenzhen, guangzhou, zuhai, macao

you might want to check out the town of sha-tin. its on the outskirts of hong kong before you hit shenzhen to the north. The residential towers are connected via a continuous shopping mall (both on raised bridges and underground). The shopping mall is then connected to the rail station.

I was there earlier in the fall. it was really uncanny.

May 4, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
david yang

this isn't in china, but there's a large masterplanned city in south korea called new songdo city. at the time of its conception, it was the world's largest private development (over $25 billion). it was masterplanned by kpf and is roughly the size of boston.

ahhh, (e)utopias.

May 4, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
a-f

"Dutch Architects in Booming Chinea" (Architectura & Natura)

May 4, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

"China" of course...

May 4, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

every province is different, different culture, different policy, dealing with beijing ppl is very different from Wuhan/shanghai or cantonese ppl.

is better u tell us what area u are working on to have precise answer.

May 4, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Check out http://www.sinocities.net

Aug 21, 07 2:45 am  · 
 · 

Dongtan,

Aug 21, 07 8:21 am  · 
 · 
nothing_is_everything

Hi all,
I'd like to activate this older thread...I'm studying new cities through the lens of public space. First, are there newer new cities now, in 2009...and what does the economic state of the world mean for places like Dubai and China....where, in at least one of these places all new development has halted.

Jan 24, 09 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Get in touch with the New Town Institute, I'm sure they can provide you with some relevant information.
http://www.newtowninstitute.org/
On that world map they have on the site, you can see the new cities per time period, I believe.

Jan 25, 09 10:33 am  · 
 · 
tempo01

forget China, look at India, Vietnam... ;-)

Jan 26, 09 5:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: