Archinect
anchor

Dow passes 13,000

KEG
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/26/business/26stox.html?hp

they say the stock market and housing market are on opposite 9 year cycles. Stocks are up...housing prices are down...how will this affect our industry? Long-ish term (10 years)?

I've noticed there are a lot of jobs in LA right now...but I focus on commercial work. Does our industry split based on the economy?

Stocks up = commercial construction up?
Housing prices down = residential construction down?

makes sense to me, but I'm wondering what the market will be like when I get out of grad school (3 years)...

Apr 25, 07 5:33 pm
nonarchitect

you should buy some Toll brothers TOL or Pulte homes PHM stocks right now !

Apr 26, 07 8:11 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

The dow passing 13,000 is more psychological than anything else. It's representative of only 30 major blue chips. While it has correlation to the economy as a whole, it isn't everything. A much better bellweather is the S&P 500, which still hasn't reached a new high since the one it had in 2000.

Apr 26, 07 9:09 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I would invest in LED / semiconductor technologies

Apr 26, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

dow climbs 233 after fed rate cut, finishes at 13,079.08

Aug 17, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

losing thousands in the stock market, i lost the money i was going to use for a downpayment. that's how it works.

Aug 17, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

what do you mean, fogey? i'm not touching anything

Aug 17, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

yeah, but it can go in the opposite direction, too, so you can lose everything in a blink of an eye.

I think profit taking is great, but statistically trading is a losing game (it's all just gambling).

I also think Cramer is great and very educational, just be careful how much you take literally - he said to sell Oracle about 6-8 months ago and it's up almost 100% since then (actually past the 2000 highs! WooHoo!!)

I do watch, though, and find the show highly educational (and entertaining).

Aug 18, 07 8:31 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

that IS my fun account, I haven't even looked at my IRAs or 401ks yet. I've made maybe $1000k in a day, and that feels pretty good. I don't think I'm savvy enough for trading yet. So you buy and sell on a daily or weekly basis? Sounds scary. I don't have any individual stocks, just funds. Sounds like you should be jumping on the precious metals bandwagon, seems that's where it is at, fogey.

Aug 18, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

shoot. $1000, not 1000k. did it that in an earlier post.

Aug 18, 07 9:52 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i remember two weeks ago, at a similar thread someone said is time to buy cheap stock now, wonder if he is still alive now.

Aug 18, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I hear ya. I am about to start doing the same (finally got that "disposable" income thing after more solid investments for the long term - ira, sep). It's all about discipline. If you can make a target price (like Cramer says with his "take 50% off when things hit 100% increase" or something like that), it's when you get caught up in the hype that you get killed (I know this from 2000 bubble) and want to make another 100%.

I am not sure if you are doing really, really well if you are matching your salary or if you have a really, really low salary ;-) ! Eitherway, that is amazing. I'd be quite happy if I could make another 5-10% (over regular market investments - 15-20% per year), after capital gains.

So do you have anything in "safe" investments - bonds, real estate, etc., or just the stock market? Diversified?

Aug 18, 07 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
n_

OldFogey, can you please be my personal investor? Thanks.

Aug 18, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Looks like there may be a bit of a selloff on wall st. this morn, it had dropped below 12000 a little while ago.

DJIA

Recession here we come! Global markets are sliding all over the place today and the Fed just passed an emergency interest rate cut.

Jan 22, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Dow's gonna hit 11500 soon. Glad I put in my stop orders...wish I had sold last month.

Look at the 'Inverse Short Funds'.

For you 'kids' graduating - here's a tip from an old guy - go to Dubai, Singapore,CEEMEA, the Caribbean, or any place that's tough to do a large scale construction project - those are the new Las Vegaii.

Jan 22, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

my fear is the selloffs in asia are going to spark a major selloff here, I hope it doesn't fall too hard today.

Jan 22, 08 10:40 am  · 
 · 
manamana

as of right now, you could have made some money buying at the opening bell and selling now.

went from down 400+ to down ~150 in a little over an hour. I'm no expert but it looks like a bumpy ride for the next few months.

who wants to bet on whether or not Ben B. still has a job at the end of the year?

Jan 22, 08 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i wouldn't be suprised if he has his bets hedged against the market. He probably had all his stock transfered into bonds or something else back when the subprime mortgage crisis just began to surface.

Jan 22, 08 10:56 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

Ben B. is a clueless bozo ... simply doing the bidding of his Republican masters to shore them up before the election.

Jan 22, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

its just another day - these things happen.

The parralles to the early 70's are starteling. Oil price preasure, growing forign competition, minor inflation and flatlining stock market from the highs of the late 60's. The Nixon camp over reacted to the economic slowdown by cutting, cutting cutting intrest rates util it unleashed a monster tidal wave of inflation that took 10 years to get out of.

Beware of Fed chiefs like Bernake - the market needs to be punished. Its better to swallow a little pull back in the short term than dig a big hole later. Assholes. I have this fear Im gonna spend my middle age decades wallowing in a stagnent econmy while paying 50% taxes so the old people who never saved can have retirement benifits.

Jan 22, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

what i never quite understand about the market is how a crisis in say, the mortgage or tech sector just bleeds over into all the other sectors so easily. I guess that's because everything ultimately is consumer driven so slowdown in one sector means layoffs/paycuts which means less consumer spending and investment which hits other sectors.

Jan 22, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

In the end, it ain't 'bout Uncle Ben. Bet he shaves the beard, before things git really wierd.....

It's actually about the fact that we Americans have gotten so far ahead of ourselves in terms of debt, global self-importance & arrogance. Those things mean more than anythiong that the FED does.

My advice: either pay off those credit cards, or use them to buy lots of booze - the good stuff, you know, like '51', or 'Bairrero Velho'...they make Caiiii-purina...hic...hic.....it's all MLK & BliBberty YelL's fault....

Jan 22, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So, should I go ahead and refinance my house now?

Jan 22, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

2 factors - one is slowing of the economy, a natural cycle that folks are overecting to

The other is structured debt financing - wall street firms buying billions of dollars of tranches or mortage risk packages betting on a certain value than using this recievable as an asset to leverage more mergers and buyouts. The exact same thing they did in the 80's with junk bonds, only now its junk mortages bundled into big debt balls. So wall street got burned - the last thing we should do is bail them out. These cocksuckers do this every 10 years and get bailed out. Its unatutral. My bro works for a very conservative investment bank in Chicago, there in the bracket below JP Morgan, Merril Lynch etc., and they hate the fact that if they acted so irresponsibly they'd be out of business, yet the bulge bracket firms of wall street literally get away with robbery.

Jan 22, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

LB - great time to refi

Banks are desperate for the refi fees

Jan 22, 08 11:11 am  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

evilp: "I have this fear Im gonna spend my middle age decades wallowing in a stagnent econmy while paying 50% taxes so the old people who never saved can have retirement benifits."

Easy on the old folks, there killer:

Since 1980 the annual rate of U.S. net national saving (net national output less private consumption expenditures less government consumption expenditures, all divided by net national product) has averaged only 4.2 percent. This saving rate is 60 percent smaller than the rate observed between 1950 and 1979!. Since 1986 the United States has saved less than 3 percent of its net output. The saving rate in 1992 was only 2.8 percent.

Not at all sure it's the old folks who are the main problem when it comes to savings rates.

Jan 22, 08 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh, its the youngbloods for sure blue, but what the hell happens when those kids get old? These same kids who bought into subprime mortgages.

Jan 22, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

by old I mean i ment those boomers working during their peak productivity years between 86-06. My grandparents saved and lived quite well in retirement. But they also lived and raised kids in a 1600s.ft house and didnt need a BMW and yearly trips to Cancun.

Jan 22, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'm 20 something myself, but at least I put $200 a month into a CoD account, for "in case shit".

Specifically when the tax man comes knocking.

Jan 22, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Blue, it is the Old folks - them happy-go-lucky Baby Boomers started living off of personal debt, forst to buy Toytoas, then Lexus-es, then vacation timeshares in Branson.

After the recent credit crunch & wave of foreclosures, expect new European neighbors in branson...well, maybe Miami, or Vegas.

Anyway, I think I saw that our savings rate is negative now. Heh heh - the New Repo Man's gonna be lookin' kinda Chinese. I wonder if we go to war in the next couple of decades 'cause we don't wanna pay our bills.

Jan 22, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Im 30 - Ive worked for 10 years in architecture and can barely cling to any semblance of middle class. If I got married, I coulndt afford even one kid. I've never a bought a car and couldnt if had to. Stock market? Yeah right. And guess what, I got a 10% bonus and 5% raise and it still is barely anything to build on. Something fundementaly has shifted in the last fifteen years. I wish I knew what.

Jan 22, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 

i've become convinced that, yes, the boomers are gonna bleed us dry.

Jan 22, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

gimme my social security check back, i want to put it somewhere useful like the Chinese Economy!

Jan 22, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I cant say the boomers are all bad - my folks let me live rent free in my early 20's after college so I could save enough for a downpayment on a condo. But theyre also the ones who warned me that, "your generation will never catch up"

Jan 22, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

very small condo

Jan 22, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i think we'll catch up, we just have to understand that we can't retire at 65 like our parents, and we'll have to learn to save up for the late years early and take our futures into our own hands rather than relying on the welfare state for everything.

Jan 22, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Its going to be a long lag time. Think about how well you had it in the 80's and 90's as a kid. Now imagine trying to pay for that same lifestyle for your kids? Could you even come close? Maybe the difference is my parents were NOT in architecture and this whole point is moot.

Jan 22, 08 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Apu- the Asian markets aren't doing too good at the moment either.

Can someone explain the rationality behind lowering the interest rares? How is this going to help, seriously? Perhaps I've simplified things a bit too much but aren't we just digging ourselves deeper and deeper into the whole the more we borrow? Economics was never my strong subject in school.

Jan 22, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Apurimac: That dough's already been spent on noodles or concrete in Shanghai years ago.

Jan 22, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I think the Asian markets are markedly safer than ours, even though they are all linked.

Jan 22, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

evilp: I could not provide the kind of lifestyle I had as a kid if I were a single parent, however, if I married someone earning an income similar to mine I think I could get much closer to doing so. since my parents for the majority of my childhood were a dual income household, I think that's the key comparison. it's amazing what roughly doubling your household income can do.

Jan 22, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Remember, Asia is pretty well tied to our spending habits.

Jan 22, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Does anybody invest by dollar cost averaging? I've got some I want to put in, and trying to predict the bottom just seems like a fools errand. dollar cost over the next year would be easier, that's for sure.

Jan 22, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Tunamelt; You raised a good question. When the FED manipulates interest rates, it does so primarily for symbolic reasons.

It could be said that the FED is trying to stimulate borrowing & spending when they lower rates. Conversely, if too much growth is occurring, the FED ostensibly raises rates to keep inflation at bay. That is what Alan Greenspan was doing throughout the '90s, pretty successfully (but I'll let the real FED-heads debate that).

Really, though, it is the FED, Foreign Investment, Markets, Consumers & prob'ly a thousand other factors that cause the Economy to expand & contract - many contend that it's a cycle. Some cycles last longer than others.

regarding the last few months of rate cuts - It ain't worked because the Markets (Dow, Nasdaq, FTSE, & all the rest of the World) smell a rat. That rat = Too much consumer debt, negative savings rate & not enough sustainability in the USA Economy. In other words - We're gonna be in A recession & it might be a long one considering that we're debt-junkies who can't really pay our bills.

That's my Simplified, simplistic 2 cents.

Jan 22, 08 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Oh TW, to make our future, as Americans, seem even bleeker - we should all remember that the USA is 'greying'. Yup, we're quickly turning into a nation of retirees...w/ no retirement savings.

I really don't like to think of other implications like: the struggle between paying for Senior medical care vs. Educating the young. Or, even more comprehensive: Will the Older generation have enough energy to keep up with the rest of the World, which is generally a younger demographic.

Get Out while you can...& I'm an optimist. Where'd I put that Caipar....

Jan 22, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I meant to write:
"Oh BTW, to...."

Jan 22, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Weve been in recession for the better part of '07 I think.

Jan 22, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Thanks MM that's how I've always understood it too, but as I'm no expert in this field I thought I was way off base.

For whatever reason my brain keeps on seeing some the parallels of our present day economic situation and the one of the 1920s. I'm not saying we're as bad off as we were then but I also don't understand how we seem to have forgotten all the mistakes that were made during that era. That's my WAY oversimplified two cents. Good thing some one's an optimist, all this crap with the mortgage crisis and the troubles the banks are having is making me nervous.

Jan 22, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

As a "boomer" I guess I resent some of the posts above -- not because they're not, to a degree, true but because they're clearly not universal in applicability.

I've never had debt beyond my mortgage (now nearly paid off), I've raised and educated two children, I've started two different companies and provide employment for a considerable number of people. I've made decent provisions for my own retirement and, along the way, I've made HUGE contributions to the social security system. I've never owned a Lexus or a second home --- and probably never will. I've invested for the future and toed the line on consumption. Yes -- I'm boring as hell ! And, I'm more common than you'd suspect.

To be sure, many (probably too many) of my generation have lived different lives. Much of the abuses arose, in my estimation, from an excessive reliance on an entitlement system in this country that has its roots in the post-depression period and that took hold, with a vengeance, during the late 60s and early 70s.

That entitlement system came from a political system that was, for many, many years, almost totally broken. We've now moved to a political system that is broken in the opposite direction. The pendulum will swing back to the middle -- and not a moment too soon.

Jan 22, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
GAWD

I'll back up a bit on the Baby-Boomer rhetoric. However, we can't ignore the aging of our nation & the many who are not prepared for it.

Jan 22, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

In all honesty quizzical I always saw the whole rise in using credit to buy things as more of a Generation X thing. They saw all that their parents (the boomers) had and no doubtedly worked hard for, as you and my parents did and felt as though they were entitled to have nice stuff RIGHT NOW; not when they could afford it. Gotta love those Reaganomics.

Jan 22, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: