Archinect
anchor

3d voronoi (qhull to rhino/maya interface)

does anyone have a script that will interface qhull with rhino or maya to create 3d voronoi solids?

if you can share, that would awesome.

thanks.

Jan 25, 07 5:46 pm

3D Voronoi Rhinoscript:

[url=http://www.sevensixfive.net/
gabes_voronoi_script.rvb]link[/url]

this wasn't written by me, it was created by Gabe Smedresman, but he's given me permission to pass it on, feel free to do likewise, with credit.

Jan 25, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

let's try that link again:

link

Jan 25, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

765, if this works, you are my hero...and i will def give props where props are due.

Jan 25, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

it works!

much thanks.

Jan 25, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

yup.

Jan 25, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
dia

More on Voronoi tessalation from Minifie Nixon here and here in their VCA Centre for Ideas.

Jan 25, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 

I was not aware of that project, thanks diabase.

Jan 25, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

andrew,

thanks for the link. i am able to input and get an output using qhull, but i am unlear about how the output is translated into rhino. do i need to translate the output into coordinate points?

plus i get a syntax error around line 155. do you have any suggestions?

Jan 25, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
chad_c

sevensixfive, did you take the file off your server? I can't download it.

Jan 26, 07 2:19 am  · 
 · 
chad_c

oops - now it's up. thanks!

Jan 26, 07 2:38 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

this guy also has some interesting scripts, dotNET programs:

reconstructivism

Jan 26, 07 10:08 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

McNeel's own wiki has some insanely great new plug-ins for the V4 beta.

McNeel Wiki

Jan 26, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
skizzil26

Im gonna piggyback here and ask
is there any program that does it for maya?

Jan 26, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

dot,

I not sure what you mean. The script imports the voronoi data from qhull and translates that into surfaces. If you don't see any geometry then your qhull output.txt file is not right.

Jan 26, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

I should mention too, that rhinoscript was written for a class taught by Andrew and Michael Weinstock at YSOA. Hi Andrew.

Jan 26, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
d.sull

A few of us here at Berkeley have written a script that will process data exported to Excel from qHull into Rhino and will create polylines through the exported points. It still needs a small script to planar trim each polyline, but it's not too hard to execute that manually. if you want it, let me know.

Aug 9, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito
www.theverymany.net
Aug 9, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Lutfij

hey there :)

i was wondering how i'd input the script for the voronoi model.

I'm downloading the programme from the net...will take me some time to get it. I'm going to use the voronoi method to generate a "skin" for my highrise that also doubles as an external structural membrane...but i dunno how to go forward with this idea. All i can come up on the net is the end result..i'd like to give it a try :)

can you guys please help out

Thanks for your time

sorry for the wall of text

Oct 11, 10 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Lutfij

hey there :)

i was wondering how i'd input the script for the voronoi model.

I'm downloading the programme from the net...will take me some time to get it. I'm going to use the voronoi method to generate a "skin" for my highrise that also doubles as an external structural membrane...but i dunno how to go forward with this idea. All i can come up on the net is the end result..i'd like to give it a try :)

can you guys please help out

Thanks for your time

sorry for the wall of text

Oct 11, 10 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: