Archinect
anchor

Architect: Endangered Species

lifeform

since everything these days is all about the glitterati and bling-bling of the big shot (male, except zsa-zsa hadid) architect, i am collecting a list of designers, landscapists, and architexts that are in danger of being extinguished by the (false) shadows of the new.

in 10 years noone may even even know who these people are or what they contributed to the profession / academia:

these are on my enangered list:
+ linna bo bardi
+ james wines / SITE
+ joze plecnic

who is on your endangered list?

Sep 28, 05 4:49 pm
ochona

+ louis sullivan
+ h.h. richardson
+ aldo rossi
+ gunnar asplund

but not every extinction will be mourned:
+ jacques derrida (au revoir, cher jacques)

Sep 28, 05 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

+ heinrich tessenow
+ peter behrens (mentor of corb, gropius, and mies!)
+ kurt schwitters
+ josef kleihues
+ o.m. ungers

who IS linna bo bardi?

Sep 28, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
e

i believe the spelling is lina bo bardi, and i believe she is brazilian or italian who married a brazilian [???].

Sep 28, 05 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
dia

+ Carlos Scarpa - surprised about the lack of knowledge
+ Also Rossi - I agree with Ochona
+ Shin Takamatsu - Japanese master
+ Lina Bo Bardi - as confirmed by Stephen, but she's not so important in my opinion. I do have a monograph at home somewhere...

Sep 28, 05 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I like the above building by LBB - there is also a town hall or something where the whole building sits above the ground creating a public plaza where they hold events and concerts.

Sep 28, 05 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

+ mario botta & the entire ticinese 'tendenza' -- and the sad thing is, it'll happen while they're still alive
+ eladio dieste -- because he's from uruguay and a lot of kids can't find uruguay on a map unless they had to sing the song in elementary school spanish class..."mexico de efe mexico, guatemala guatemala...teguciGALpa honduras..."

Sep 28, 05 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Here it is:

Sep 28, 05 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
lifeform

nice list happening here, maybe there should be a phaidon 10x10 overlooked architects by 10 overlooked critics...

one more from me:

+ alison and peter smithson :
ok, so not entirely overlooked, but often reduced to only a few representative projects. these kids were massively prolific, just look at the "charge void: architecture" and "charged void: urbanism" . for example the cluster city studies is so ahead of its time which as these obsessive grad school "automated urbanism" projects. damn!

Sep 29, 05 12:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

John Hejduk

Sep 29, 05 6:24 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Herman Hertzberger
Aldo van Eyck
Mario Botta
Andrea Branzi (of Archizoom)
Hans Hollein
Haus-Rucker Co
Sigurd Lewerentz
Maaskant

Sep 29, 05 6:55 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

The Lina Bo Bardi building with the red spars is the Sao Paulo Museum of Art. It was only painted red in the past 10 years or so, only after Bo Bardi's death.

Sep 29, 05 7:17 am  · 
 · 

I almost want to disagree with the inclusion of the Smithsons and van Eyck (if only to keep the discussion going).

Seems interest in Team 10 and those associated with it is on the rise right now. I'd expect to see a lot more critical writing @ these architects over the next few years, assuring their longevity.

Also curious about the fear of obscurity for Scarpa: he seems to be the perennial favorite among romantic 2nd/3rd year students.

Sep 29, 05 8:49 am  · 
 · 

"Designers, landscapists, and architexts" are not "extinguished," they just become quondam.

Sep 29, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

eero saarinen's currency is on the rise, but eliel will be overshadowed and fade away...

Sep 29, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 

So reenacting the design aura of some architects is currently cool while reenacting the design aura of some other architects is not currently cool?

I guess whoever said "Those that don't know history wind up repeating it" wasn't an architect.

Sep 29, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

If he was alive:
+Bruce Goff

Since he ain't, let's say that his followers are on it, even Joe MysteryMan.

Sep 29, 05 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
lifeform

s ward -
re: smithsons as overlooked
yeah sure there is no shortage of text on the smithsons, but everyone uses the same projects as references. (it is always berlin haupstadt or golden lane, or robin h gardens.) and these only scratch the surface of their total output. ... the british embassy in brasilia, the lucas hq in shirley, and the pahlavi library in tehran alone warrant further probing. they are stunning; check them out. i recently came across them in the charged void books.

i would argue that sometimes an architects total output can be too quickly reduced to "greatest hits" and the b-sides get overlooked.

Sep 29, 05 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
lifeform

it is the same when cedric price's work gets reduced to "fun palace" and "potteries thinkbelt" only ... or eames get reduced to only the "eames house" and "eames chair."

Sep 29, 05 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
francis / ony one
+ Luigi Moretti
Mar 7, 07 4:54 am  · 
 · 
snooker

PETER GRAVES

Mar 7, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

snooker,
is that a reference to "poor white trash" or did you mean michael?

i've only found a few people who know who shin takamatsu is, his drawings were an inspiration when i was in school.

+ pierre chareau

Mar 7, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
postal

wow, i can't believe some of the names you guys put up there...

behrens, rossi, van Eyck, Scarpa, Asplund, Sullivan!

I don't think Sullivan could be forgotten. Not with his work being so significant in Chicago. Even though some of his buildings have met tragic endings as of recent...

And Asplund's library will stand forever...

I don't neccessarily think the judgement is off, just find it tragic...

i'll add my most obscure inspiration:
+Kisho Kurokawa (and to a less degree, the rest of the metabolists)

Mar 7, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
spark

Eliel was the better Saarinen. Father knows best.

Mar 7, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
binary

rakim

Mar 7, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

I'm just happy you guardians of the good, beautiful and true are here to keep us from slipping into the abyss.

Mar 8, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
postal

guppy, i think we are the abyss...

Mar 8, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wannes Deprez
Emilio Pérez Piñero
Apr 21, 07 8:15 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

albert kahn
thomas church

Apr 21, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 

+ Charles Moore
+ James Sterling

Apr 21, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

lifeform, what do you mean by these people being forgotten? who has forgotten them?

Apr 21, 07 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Gordon Bunshaft
Apr 21, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i love lever house...

Apr 21, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

I'm loving those stacks of books...very intimate yet voyeurist

you could imagine the librarian (cute) rubbing against you to get past whilst everyone watches below

architecture is spectacle | architecture is carnival

Apr 21, 07 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
exzekiel

William Lim

Mok Wei Wei

Singapore Based

Apr 22, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
garpike

candilis

josic

woods

Apr 22, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

this is an awfully depressing thread. for one, i've never heard of half of these latest submissions to the list, and two, the ones i have heard of i could not imagine a world without. gordon bunshaft, for goodness sake. who's next? mies?

Apr 22, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wannes Deprez
Günter Günschel
Jul 6, 07 4:03 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

The poor man's dead, but i think his contributions were immense and oft overlooked in academia and the general design circle:

Enric Miralles:

Jul 6, 07 5:30 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Frank Israel

one of my all time favs and what got me looking at UCLA in the first place.

Jul 6, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

A recent NYtimes article overlooked frank israel in a list of the pantheon of LA architects - very sad, he was the best of that generation. glad I had a moment to meet him in 1995 a few months before he died.

Jul 6, 07 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Wannes Deprez
C.F. Moller
Ico Parisi
Oct 19, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
merganser

corb's south american disciples

lucio costa
affonso eduardo reidy

also

jorge machado moreira

don't think i've seen a photo of their work less than 40 years old..

Oct 19, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

peter graves....think he did a name change to Michael Graves....so people would not associate him with the actor....It is a hollywood thing. Similar Situation Paul Glazer= Michael Glaser....What is in a name...

Oct 20, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wannes Deprez
Andreas Weininger
Oct 29, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Wannes Deprez
A. Gutnov, V. Iudintsev, E. Rusakov
Apr 1, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Wannes Deprez
Enzo Venturelli
Apr 15, 08 11:56 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

Paul Schweikher

http://www.artic.edu/aic/libraries/caohp/schweikher.html

asu has his entire archive of drawings. it's spectacular.

http://www.asu.edu/lib/arch/libarchives/drawings/schw.html

for the life of me i can't understand why carnegie mellon, yale, university of colorado, and arizona state haven't made a bigger deal about this guy.

Apr 15, 08 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wannes Deprez

some links didn't work
for julio lafuente see http://www.flickr.com/photos/wannesdeprez/2535939177/
for alfred hardy see also http://www.danda.be/reviews/142/
for h. alvater see also http://www.flickr.com/photos/wannesdeprez/2783205485/
& for william russell everitt see http://www.flickr.com/photos/wannesdeprez/3103835983/ & http://www.flickr.com/photos/wannesdeprez/3104668082/

Dec 28, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: