Archinect
anchor

Mapping

...n the words of one critic it is "system think.;.....a carapace of organic abstraction... "

-What are your thoughts on the notion of mapping being thrown around today ?

-I find it frustrating, & tend to sympathize with it's (few) critics- though would be interested in hearing other opinions / defences

For argument's sake;
-How is mapping in architecture not a reductive , inhuman & psuedo-scientific , shirking of responsibility and authorship.
-Mapping as a technique to generate structures with/of meaning , still tends to produce alientating , not to mention poorly executed projects...

Jul 31, 05 12:21 am
zero_point

Had a horrid semester that was based on the current fascination with mapping. Talked with a professor that said all the projects, across the board, were some of the worst they'd ever seen, and I'd agree.

Seems like a map that's based on one's personal experiences as they traveled through a site would be less inhuman and would have a definite sense of authorship. Of course, a map like that is nearly impossible to discern without a serious key or legend.

Jul 31, 05 1:00 am  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

I am fascinated with the idea of using mapping in the 'process of making,' but I regret that I have not necessarily found many good examples in architectural projects. Trying to identify a process to find out how & why people might connect with, relate to, or even ignore, a space or place is absolutely a noble quest, but far too often those studies inform designs that are either far too literal & specific or way too bland & general.

There are however some very successful (at least I think so) 'interventions' done by non-architects and even some places that have 'just came to be' that are far more interesting than they could be if an architect got in the way.

Here's some off the top of my head:

Graffiti artists - specifically train car bombs... the network created by these moving galleries.

An artist/activist in Detroit (name escapes me) painted these colored dots all over abandoned houses which brought about different ideas from various classes of people in the area.

Banksy's work all over the place

Skateboarding... I've spent many years connecting with certain spaces including parking garages, loading docks, public plazas, etc... taking 'temporary' ownership of the built environment.

The IIT student center (OMA)

Jul 31, 05 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: